• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying game patents

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So games are not just up to devs and the various game companies. They also have to abide by various copyright rules that I’m not entirely sure is the same for other mediums. Due to their nature. Copyright is obviously something that all creators no matter the medium have to keep in mind when creating their works. But games have their own unique copyright challenges.
Just for example, Nintendo applied for and got a patent for their D Pad design (the arrow keys on a controller.) Due to their specific wording rival companies actually designed their keys to avoid getting sued. That’s why the early PS controllers had separated arrow keys just for example.
One annoying one was the rather infamous Namco copyright for mini games during loading screens. Which is why no one else dared.
Any annoying ones you can think of?
Any faves lol?
Inspired by this list
(Yes I am a fan of this channel despite not playing on Xbox in favour of PC and PlayStation lol)

Gargovic Malkav

So games are not just up to devs and the various game companies. They also have to abide by various copyright rules that I’m not entirely sure is the same for other mediums. Due to their nature. Copyright is obviously something that all creators no matter the medium have to keep in mind when creating their works. But games have their own unique copyright challenges.
Just for example, Nintendo applied for and got a patent for their D Pad design (the arrow keys on a controller.) Due to their specific wording rival companies actually designed their keys to avoid getting sued. That’s why the early PS controllers had separated arrow keys just for example.
One annoying one was the rather infamous Namco copyright for mini games during loading screens. Which is why no one else dared.
Any annoying ones you can think of?
Any faves lol?
Inspired by this list
(Yes I am a fan of this channel despite not playing on Xbox in favour of PC and PlayStation lol)

Makes me think of the lawsuit about the video game Friday the 13th.

The writer or one of the writers of the first movie felt he was the rightful owner of the character Jason Voorhees.
Jason didn't even appear in the first movie except as an imaginary phantom, and if I recall correctly, he (the writer) hated that the character in the sequels became the nearly invincible and later, immortal and undead serial killer he was eventually known for.
But yeah, he may have been the one who made him up first even though he's not responsible for the "iconical Jason".
So the situation is complicated.

I don't know if there's any progress but as long as the lawsuit's on, the devs are not allowed to release any new content.