• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anniversary of death?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So this might be a specific thing in certain sect/s I’m honestly not sure
But next month marks the one year anniversary of my aunt’s tragic death
(She was old and it was peaceful.)
Apparently that means that my mother and I have to travel to New Zealand to take part in this solemn occasion.
But I honestly don’t know what this means, if that makes sense?
Like my mother talks about it like it’s an obvious ceremonial duty we must perform as it involves family.

So I’m wondering if any of you guys can give me some ideas as to what this means?
Like obviously I will perform my duty to my family and I am happy to. I’m just not sure why this is important and if there are any specific ceremonies.

Help?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So this might be a specific thing in certain sect/s I’m honestly not sure
But next month marks the one year anniversary of my aunt’s tragic death
(She was old and it was peaceful.)
Apparently that means that my mother and I have to travel to New Zealand to take part in this solemn occasion.
But I honestly don’t know what this means, if that makes sense?
Like my mother talks about it like it’s an obvious ceremonial duty we must perform as it involves family.

So I’m wondering if any of you guys can give me some ideas as to what this means?
Like obviously I will perform my duty to my family and I am happy to. I’m just not sure why this is important and if there are any specific ceremonies.

Help?
The first year death anniversary is indeed a special timer in many Hindu circles. Subsequent times less so. Death anniversaries are important as joyous celebrations, in that we celebrated death over birth, and that first one would indicate the soul has most likely moved on. Some spouses celebrate a retreat for the entire year, not attending temple, etc. Generally a final archana is done for the deceased.

Of course, with all else in Hinduism, nobody absolutely needs to practice this. In my personal experience, Fijians in particular, seem to be ardent about this.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The first year death anniversary is indeed a special timer in many Hindu circles. Subsequent times less so. Death anniversaries are important as joyous celebrations, in that we celebrated death over birth, and that first one would indicate the soul has most likely moved on. Some spouses celebrate a retreat for the entire year, not attending temple, etc. Generally a final archana is done for the deceased.

Of course, with all else in Hinduism, nobody absolutely needs to practice this. In my personal experience, Fijians in particular, seem to be ardent about this.
Interesting
That makes sense

What’s an archana?

And yeah my mum is Fijian born so my family is rather ardent about this being observed. I haven’t been able to attend any other “anniversaries” in my family, so this will be my first

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Interesting
That makes sense

What’s an archana?

And yeah my mum is Fijian born so my family is rather ardent about this being observed. I haven’t been able to attend any other “anniversaries” in my family, so this will be my first
The archana is when the priest at the temple informs the Gods about all the details (gotra, name, nakshatra, sometimes more) so prayers are more effective.

ajay0

Meditation, Seva or service, and other spiritual exercises leading to your own spiritual development, will also give positive energies to your deceased relatives. This will enable you to gain their blessings, which is considered to be substantial.

There is a story of Bhageeratha who performed heavy austerities and spiritual exercises to successfully get rid off the inauspiciousness and negativity of his deceased ancestors who were the victims of a sages curse after disturbing him.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We do not make it that essential in India. It depends on the convenience of the member of family as to timing and expenses. Sometimes even sons are unable to attend the last rights of the father. A person can be remembered wherever the member of the family is and the suggested rituals can be conducted at that place. Shrāddha - Remembrance (derived from Shraddhā, respect).

Archanā is a request to deities to treat the soul of the person well. Of course, deities understand it better in Sanskrit, so help from a Snaskrit-knowing brahmin is necessary. The mother of a Prime Minister of Jodhpur State insisted that her last rights should be done only by my grandpa, though he never had been a practicing preist, but he was a Sanskrit scholar.

Last edited: