• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annihilationism according to NT Wright

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I want to know more about NT Wright's position regarding Eternal Punishment and Annihilationism -- what does he exactly believe? I found this here excerpt below in the Annihilationism Wikipedia article, but the source comes from a book I do not have, nor could I probably get:

"NT Wright rejects eternal torment, universalism, and apparently also annihilation; but believes those who reject God will become dehumanized, and no longer be in the image of God."

NT Wright, Surprised by Hope, chapter 11 "Purgatory, Paradise, Hell"​

Does someone have this book, that they could provide me with a clear understanding of his position on the matter? Or else, could someone share their thoughts on this excerpt from the Wikipedia article?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not have the book, but Annihilationism means the opinion that death is genuine, with no separate 'Soul' 'Spirit' 'Body' trichotomy or 'Soul' 'Body' dichotomy. Annihilationists may believe in a physical resurrection which is a complete reconstruction of the dead individual, or they may not believe that. They do not believe that the body and soul are separate. They believe death of the body is the death of the soul and vice versa.