• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animism vs Polytheism

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Polytheism believes in many gods.

Animism believes that everything has a spirit, including inanimate objects.

xkatz

Out of interest where you thinking of pantheism/panentheism rather than polytheism?

I guess we could include pantheism in this as well, but I was mainly thinking of animism vs polytheism. In some religions (eg Shinto), polytheism and animism overlap to some extent.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I agree in some overlap, but each statement in itself gives different information.

As Sum said it already pretty much: In animism everything has a spirit (posibly but not necesarily called god or revered like one)

In polytheism there are many Gods (that may cause the things in the world, but not necesarily be the "spirits" of the things they cause)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been wondering this myself. The differences seem superficial or semantic to me. Unfortunately, there are few works out there that bother to address non-monotheistic theology. The ones I have managed to track down and read have not been particularly enlightening in drawing a difference between the two.

Thinking about this from the standpoint of the history of philosophy, though, it was once a "given" in philosophical thought that all things had a sort of inner spirit or purpose for being. When certain "advances" in human civilization occurred (e.g. the Enlightenment), the ensouled view of matter was thrown out in favor of a disenchanted and mechanistic one. It was no longer proper to speak of all things as having a teleological purpose. So in at least some contexts, animism does not particularly describe a religious belief at all, but a philosophical position. It seems to me, though, that when animism is spoken of in a religious context it's pretty much identical to polytheism. But I don't know. :shrug:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
In most Pagan religions the gods are viewed as having spirits also, like human beings have a spirit

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I feel there is something more to this question: What did you not understand the difference was? One is a theological view, the other is a spiritual view