• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animals are Atheists

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
49db66bf35e84b2f35b7496cf9c01e76.jpg

Audie

Veteran Member

I like cats ok, but I dont have any illusions
about them.

Dogs understand commitment. Cats will not
honour any contract.

Audie

Veteran Member
Actually, animals are atheists. The prefix "a" is simply a negation, so "atheist" just means "not theist." A theist is someone with an active belief in a deitiy or deities, and since animals don't have that belief, they are atheists.

I do think the language is messed up using a
negative word for what is normal, being taken
from a "theist" majority attitude.

To be "atheist" is normal. It certainly is for any animal
besides people. and is for people unless they get
inoculated as kids.

I'd go for some way of expressing that the
"theists" are the not-something people.

"Anormalist" wont ever be a popular word.

But something to express the idea is needed.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
since animals don't have that belief, they are atheists.

Animals or at least my dog prays to me and my wife daily. She prays for walks and trips to the dog park and they are sometimes granted and sometimes not for reasons that make no sense to my dog.

She prays for tug-of-war with me and for petting and her prayers are answered.

She prays for her daily sustenance and that is granted. But I am a fickle deity in her mind since the food varies, is served at different times and so forth.

Therefore my dog is not an atheist. Q. E. D.

But if more evidence is needed:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My last dachshund Coco was never happier than when in church, mostly he would lie down under the pew but always stood when we stood.

It was the same on the TV he would go up to it and watch and listen whenever they showed a church service, or when he heard hymns. I think he must have been a monk or priest in a past life.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Animals or at least my dog prays to me and my wife daily. She prays for walks and trips to the dog park and they are sometimes granted and sometimes not for reasons that make no sense to my dog.

She prays for tug-of-war with me and for petting and her prayers are answered.

She prays for her daily sustenance and that is granted. But I am a fickle deity in her mind since the food varies, is served at different times and so forth.

Therefore my dog is not an atheist. Q. E. D.

But if more evidence is needed:

Does that make you God, in some sick and twisted sort of way? :eek:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Does that make you God, in some sick and twisted sort of way? :eek:
If you had someone who fed you, gave you a warm place to sleep, played with you, what would you think? And then for no reason you understood, took you to a place of torture with fear in the air and where you experienced pain, might you not wonder if God had put you in purgatory or worse (aka being taken to the vet)?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Even here there are people that presume that theism is a default.

That is very odd indeed!