• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angry ‘confrontation’ is a way of deflecting attention from ourselves onto others

Mark Dohle

kneelingman.jpg

axobuTi734a.png

Angry ‘confrontation’ is a way of deflecting attention from ourselves onto others

Trying to get the zoom conferences ready for this weekend. I am always nervous about this retreat because it is not always a comforting subject to deal with. Yet I feel necessary, at least for me if I wish to become more Christ-like, which is the same as saying, more truly human.

Here is one of the points that I will bring up to talk about hopefully drawing others into sharing. Angry confrontation, one that is based on shaming others, or towards self, is not what I am talking about, but needs to be addressed.

"Angry ‘confrontation’ is a way of deflecting attention from ourselves onto others. It is a way punishing those around us, of seeking a way to get as far as we can from our own inner lives.?"-Br.MD

eik

Not necessarily. If the anger is well directed, grounded and expressed, and comes with proof of authority, then it can be justifiable: Psalm 7:11. The whole of Revelation is a testament to God's wrath. Of course, there is a difference between anger and blowing one's top in an irrational way, which is as large as the difference between taking communion wine and drunkenness.

Personally I am of the opinion that there is a distinct lack of theological anger today, where theologians and churches take refuge in academia and philosophical speculation, and often do not communicate the wealth of the gospel and the impending wrath of God on those who will not repent or believe in it.

Mark Dohle

Not necessarily. If the anger is well directed, grounded and expressed, and comes with proof of authority, then it can be justifiable: Psalm 7:11. The whole of Revelation is a testament to God's wrath. Of course, there is a difference between anger and blowing one's top in an irrational way, which is as large as the difference between taking communion wine and drunkenness.

Personally I am of the opinion that there is a distinct lack of theological anger today, where theologians and churches take refuge in academia and philosophical speculation, and often do not communicate the wealth of the gospel and the impending wrath of God on those who will not repent or believe in it.
Of course, anger properly applied can give energy and direction. I believe that seldom happens unless we learn to speak up with gentleness when angry. Jesus was angry, but it was a way to teach, not to belittle, he wanted to break through, not put down. He was gentle with the weak, hard with the self-righteous, but it was the same love doing it. I do not see many Christians using anger in that manner, but rather there is a tendency to bludgeon with endless quotes, which does little good.

Peace
mark