• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anger

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread is inspired by a couple of posts that made me raise an eyebrow.

In one post, a member said that he becomes angry when someone asks direct questions about his religious beliefs because he felt that such beliefs should be private. In another post, a member stated that if one isn't angry about the state of our world, one isn't paying attention.

The reason these comments gave me pause is I live in such a way as to eliminate anger completely, as I see it as an entirely unproductive emotion that does little more than create drama as a result of judgment of myself and others. While there are circumstances in this reality that are unfavorable and perhaps should change, I see anger accomplishing little more than needless suffering.

What are your thoughts? Do you see anything productive in being angry? If so, how?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

In one post, a member said that he becomes angry when someone asks direct questions about his religious beliefs because he felt that such beliefs should be private. In another post, a member stated that if one isn't angry about the state of our world, one isn't paying attention.

The reason these comments gave me pause is I live in such a way as to eliminate anger completely, as I see it as an entirely unproductive emotion that does little more than create drama as a result of judgment of myself and others. While there are circumstances in this reality that are unfavorable and perhaps should change, I see anger accomplishing little more than needless suffering.

What are your thoughts? Do you see anything productive in being angry? If so, how?

Anger only lead to more suffering, suffering the way that when angry it does not only affect one self it affect people around us. and it create situation that is not nessesary.

rocala

Yes I do. I see anger as being natural. For example, recently a member made a post in which he made fun of a rape victim. YOU clicked it as funny. That has made me very angry.

Shantanu

Anger solves nothing but destroys the peace of mind of the person experiencing it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
From the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch, The Summary of the Code of Jewish Law, Chaper 29:

"Anger is also a very evil trait, and it should be avoided it at all costs. You should train yourself not to become angry even if you have good reason to be angry. And when it is necessary to impress your authority on your children and your household, you may pretend to be angry in order to admonish them, while retaining your composure inwardly.

[The Talmud relates] "Eliyahu said to Rabbi Yehudah, the brother of Rav Salla, the Pious: "Do not become angry, and you will not sin,"

"If anyone becomes angry it is considered as though he worships idols."

"Therefore, remove anger from your heart and put away evil from your body. The life of angry men is no life. Therefore, [our Sages] ordained that a man should distance himself from anger to the point that he can conduct himself with utter disregard even for things that evoke [justifiable] anger. This is the proper path [to follow] and it is the way of the righteous, [as stated in the Talmud]. "They suffer insults but do not insult, they listen to abuse heaped on them but do not answer, they are motivated by love in whatever they do, and they rejoice [even when] suffering pain."

Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 29

Per Wikipedia the Kitzur "establishes what is allowed, and what is not allowed without ambiguity."

Curious George

Veteran Member

Why do you think we evolved anger of it is unproductive?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes I do. I see anger as being natural. For example, recently a member made a post in which he made fun of a rape victim. YOU clicked it as funny. That has made me very angry.

I have honestly thought hard for the last several minutes trying to recall where this happened, but I can't seem to remember doing such a thing. If I marked such a post as funny, I can assure you it was not my intent to laugh at a victim of rape, as I would never do such a thing. I must have seen humor in a different way.

Clearly, you've been carrying this anger around with you for a bit, and for that I am sorry. I'm not sure why my views or opinions would have such a profound impact on you. I'm really just another voice in a crowd, so I'm not sure whether or not to be honored or disappointed, because something I have done has left a profound enough impact for you (either favorable or unfavorable) to carry such a strong feeling about something I did.

If you would do me the favor of pointing out exactly where I upset you, I would appreciate the opportunity to explain my actions and set things right.

Shantanu

Anger evolution was an animalistic inheritence. God only came to influence us into civilisation in the recent 40,000 years. This slowly brought in the religions. In Hinduism there are Yamas and Niyamas (dos and donts of yoga) that put us on a good footing and makes us live peacefully, even in bliss. Anger is easily controlled by those of the sattvic persuasion genetically, but first one must assert ones security through fighting one's enemies through legal means and only when one realises that this fighting is futile that there is no point in carrying on one reverts to our Hindu philosophy of dos and donts. This means means even words uttered can be violent with anger bursting through and that is a negative emotion. The best way to silence ones enemies is to do nothing to the oppression faced. Be like a Mahatma Gandhi in ones satyagraha.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

That's a great question, and quite honestly one that I cannot answer. Perhaps you or another might have some insight?

But that makes me think of another. What impact, if any, would it have had on our evolutionary process had we not evolved anger?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Anger evolution was an animalistic inheritence. God only came to influence us into civilisation in the recent 40,000 years. This slowly brought in the religions. In Hinduism there are Yamas and Niyamas (dos and donts of yoga) that put us on a good footing and makes us live peacefully, even in bliss. Anger is easily controlled by those of the sattvic persuasion genetically, but first one must assert ones security through fighting one's enemies through legal means and only when one realises that this fighting is futile that there is no point in carrying on one reverts to our Hindu philosophy of dos and donts. This means means even words uttered can be violent with anger bursting through and that is a negative emotion. The best way to silence ones enemies is to do nothing to the oppression faced. Be like a Mahatma Gandhi in ones satyagraha.

Interesting that you bring this up. I was just reading the Gospel of Ramikrishna last night, specifically the Parable of the Snake that Refused to Hiss.

I think while one should do one's best not bring harm to oneself or another, one should do something rather than just be a passive victim of abuse.

Shantanu

Interesting that you bring this up. I was just reading the Gospel of Ramikrishna last night, specifically the Parable of the Snake that Refused to Hiss.

I think while one should do one's best not bring harm to oneself or another, one should do something rather than just be a passive victim of abuse.
I do not believe one should do anything more than to have exhausted the State's legal system. Once the corruption is fully evident one should then suffer in silence, and not make any further manoevres to seek justice.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Survival of the fittest, which was the strongest animals. Do we want to live like animals once God has made clear that we are human beings living to a different evolutionary rules?
As I believe no god exists, such a rhetorical question means little to me.

"Survival of the fittest" isn't really an answer. My question of why animals evolved anger could be rephrased to "what conditions make anger more fit in animals than lack of anger in animals"

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Survival of the fittest, which was the strongest animals. Do we want to live like animals once God has made clear that we are human beings living to a different evolutionary rules?

I agree, I think it's a good point.

Adding support...

As humans we have a tool that animals do not: ART.

Examples: Pablo Picasso's influence in the WWII era and Bob Dylan's influence on the Vietnam War.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Depends where the anger is focussed.

Passive anger at another person or persons can help one feel better. Example, some idiot cuts you up at a traffic junction. I dont advocate jumping out of the car and slapping the culprits face (recipe for a road rage incident). But an inwardly directed stream of invective can be most satisfying.

In my work i found that anger at a particular problem could often produce a unique solution.

Anger at oneself for messing up can/is is great teacher of life skill.

Shantanu

As I believe no god exists, such a rhetorical question means little to me.

"Survival of the fittest" isn't really an answer. My question of why animals evolved anger could be rephrased to "what conditions make anger more fit in animals than lack of anger in animals"
Ignorance that God is not there to protect the downtrodden, even in the animal world.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
"Pablo Picasso painted Guernica in 1937, taking inspiration from the bombing of Guernica, and in Leonardo da Vinci's Battle of Anghiari. Guernica, like many important Republican masterpieces, was featured at the 1937 International Exhibition in Paris. The work's size (11 ft by 25.6 ft) grabbed much attention and cast the horrors of the mounting Spanish civil unrest into a global spotlight.[372] The painting has since been heralded as an anti-war work and a symbol of peace in the 20th century.[373]"

350px-PicassoGuernica.jpg

Guernica (Picasso) - Wikipedia
Spanish Civil War - Wikipedia

I think the anger depends.

If someone is just angry at something but is not having the courage to do anything to change it, then that kind of angry is unproductive and causes needless suffering of the person who has the anger.

If however the person is angry and they channel it to change something, that is a good thing.

Look at martin luther king. He was angry against slavery, he wanted people to have equal rights. But his anger led to courage for changing it.