• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anger in Belief Systems

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I never went to church as a kid, never saw sermons on TV, but when I finally did, the first question that often popped into my head was ... 'Why is that man so angry?' Even facial expressions seem grumpy. Your religion mustn't be dong much for you if all it does is make you mad. It's sad.
I still find myself doing this from time to time. I don't get it. Then again, I'm a bliss-aholic. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is anger an unhealthy emotion in a belief system?
It can be unhealthy if it gets out of control
Otherwise, it's healthy & even useful.
giphy.gif

wellwisher

Is anger an unhealthy emotion in a belief system?

I would say yes, because anger prevents the ability to think deeper. This makes your belief system shallow. Anger is a derivative of the fight and flight reaction. This instinct seeks an immediate and permanent solution; stress free. If you extrapolate anger, the goal is to eliminate the threat and be done. If the threat can be eliminated there is no needed to look at it further. One can remain ignorant under the guise of self righteous self defense.

Life can create stresses and expressing anger is a way to deal with and relieve the stress. This can be healthy if done in a controlled way. A healthy way does this based on the cause and effect of the stresses. The problem that occurs when people sublimate their anger, with belief systems, and express their anger in unhealthy ways at the wrong people. Stress comes from our environment so it makes no rational sense to project the stress into an abstraction outside our immediate environment. This can never eliminate the source of the stress, so the anger persists. While the anger stays shallow and never sees the connection.

For example, fake news makes mountains out of mole hills to create an enhanced perception of urgency and stress. In reality, fake news is the environmental cause of much of the stress that leads to the need for anger to help release the stress.

The Political parties say this stress is the fault of the moles hills, that now look like mountains, due to their being connected to the fake news and propaganda. This approach never ends the stress since the anger is not taught to go to the real threat to your well being, which is the fake news enhancement. But since anger prevents deeper thought, the loop is repeated each day. How much of the fake news urgency pans out in proportion to the stress induced?

Stop watching fake news for a day and mountain become mole hills and the threat level goes down. Leave the brain washing called politics for a day and see the stress level go down. If you wish to express anger, do it to those who create stressful urgency; wolves in sheep clothing. You will feel better. If you hit the target it goes away.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What is self?
There are no need to get angry because there will then come other situation that will lead to even more attachments. in buddhism one of the things we working on is to let go of attachments to anger, hate, likes, dislike, pain and so on.

self is that part that is trying to attain to enlightenment. if it can't be preserved, then enlightenment cannot be realized.

buddha taught the middle path, he didn't teach the path of self-destruction and sacrifice.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Why is self-preservation necessary for enlightenment??
i don't know of anyone who achieved enlightenment by destroying themselves, or allowing other(s) to do it.

Why is life necessary for enlightenment??
in hinduism lila and maya work together in self-discovery of the paramatman

How can one attain enlightenment if some semblance of self is preserved??
the form counts for nothing given the self is not the form but something within it and shaping it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
self is that part that is trying to attain to enlightenment. if it can't be preserved, then enlightenment cannot be realized.

buddha taught the middle path, he didn't teach the path of self-destruction and sacrifice.

The human life is not the true life as seen as a buddhist, meaning that the body is not self, counsiousness is not permanent so how can it be self?
Enlightenment is a stat of mind in my understanding

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I see personal control of anger as a beginning but totally necessary step. Yes, it happens, but rarely is there a productive result from it. 'Fake' anger, like that of a parent or teacher, may be another matter, but even that often doesn't work as well as other alternatives.
love works best, yes. unfortunately not everyone chooses that path; so loving someone when they are stabbing you to death is healthy?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
love works best, yes. unfortunately not everyone chooses that path; so loving someone when they are stabbing you to death is healthy?

Since you ask a very direct question i can only answer for my self not for every buddhist.
But if it happens to me one day i will not hate the person who do it. But feel sorry for him in the way of the suffering he will edure later.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The human life is not the true life as seen as a buddhist, meaning that the body is not self, counsiousness is not permanent so how can it be self?
Enlightenment is a stat of mind in my understanding

if enlightenment is a state of mind and mind/consciousness is not permanent, then the pursuit of enlightenment is a waste of the true self's state.

the form a thing takes is not anymore the thing, than ice cubes and steam are to water.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Since you ask a very direct question i can only answer for my self not for every buddhist.
But if it happens to me one day i will not hate the person who do it. But feel sorry for him in the way of the suffering he will edure later.

you see that as the middle way?

Sanzbir

i don't know of anyone who achieved enlightenment by destroying themselves,

I don't know of anyone who achieved enlightenment without the very necessary step of calcination and dissolution of the self.

Don't you need to break down the unenlightened self in order to reconstitute and transmute it into a state of enlightenment??

Rumi writes "Die! Die! Die in this love! If you die in this love,Your soul will be renewed. Die! Die! Don’t fear the death of that which is known If you die to the temporal, You will become timeless."

or allowing other(s) to do it.

The enlightenment of the martyr, who gives up their self and life in their enlightenment, is the example of such an event.

in hinduism lila and maya work together in self-discovery of the paramatman

I see nothing about that process requires life.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I don't know of anyone who achieved enlightenment without the very necessary step of calcination and dissolution of the self.

Don't you need to break down the unenlightened self in order to reconstitute and transmute it into a state of enlightenment??
you take what is there, hidden, transform it, and bring it forth. self is already there if one can see past the facade, the form.

Rumi writes "Die! Die! Die in this love! If you die in this love,Your soul will be renewed. Die! Die! Don’t fear the death of that which is known If you die to the temporal, You will become timeless."
love takes two seemingly disparate forms and creates them as ONE mind

The enlightenment of the martyr, who gives up their self and life in their enlightenment, is the example of such an event.
love doesn't martyr. love gives life. enlightenment gives one understanding of "life eternal". it lays aside its life for the love of self in all and all in self. we aren't just a drop in an ocean but also an ocean in a drop ourselves.

Throw a stone
And watch the ripples flow
Moving out across the bay
Like a stone I fall into your eyes
Deep into that mystery, ah
Deep into some mystery - please forgive me - david gray

I see nothing about that process requires life.
you see enlightenment only in death? love transforms. love creates. love preserves/saves. it doesn't annihilate, obliviate.

The days, passing days

I see the steeple and trace to the spire
And the sunset
Deepening red
Phoenix and the firefly

And the time stops
Rush hour traffic slows
And my heart starts beating this dark
Through old flesh and cold bones

And I long to be carried on
Just once to be lifted strong
Out of the loneliness and the emptiness