• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anger as a reason for Atheism. How often do you think it happens?

Daemon Sophic

Fortunately for everyone, the world has been getting more and more secular, and less religious over the last century. As it becomes less religious and the power of religions to inflict pain and death upon agnostics and atheist lessens, more than more people feel free to speak out that they are not religious, and in fact not even theistic.
However, I believe that I see several different camps of atheism, and I’m wondering if other people see this too.

Often, at least in Christian communities, are people angry at one or more articles of dogma in their religion that drive(s) them away. Effectively they are saying, “Oh yeah?! Well if that’s the way you’re gonna be, then I’m outa here! In fact, I don’t even believe in you! So there!”

:facepalm:
Often we find these young people becoming seekers; drifting from religion to religion while claiming to be “atheist”, more out of anger then out of understanding. I believe that subliminally they hope to find what they believe to be the true message of God somewhere out there. And of course this means that they never really ceased believing in the divine. Truly they are deists, searching for a way back to understanding their God.
This group is not as small as one might think. For these include people who are angry with their perceived God because of some tragedy in their life. They see disease and horrible death, violence and intolerance, and they cannot imagine a loving God allowing such suffering to continue/exist in this world/universe. :(

Personally, I don’t really consider these people should be counted among atheists or agnostics. And I wonder what percentage of the census tracking of such matters is muddied by the presence of these “angry atheists”, who are effectively acting like upset children and turning their backs upon their childhood religions, and likely who will return to a religion again, once they get over whatever initially upset them.
True, while they are in this period of freedom from the brainwashing of their church/synagogue/mosque/etc.... they may go on to study the wide range of evidence and logic which points toward a true lack of existence for any divine being, and actually become agnostic or atheist in full, but that is likely far from 100% of them.

Your thoughts?

A Vestigial Mote

My thoughts are that even that state of being "angry" is at least a beginning toward questioning it all, and leaves open the chance of coming to the realization that NONE of it is supportable, cogent, or descriptive of reality in any significant way. I would say that there are peripheral statements of (more or less) fact, that each religion ends up making or espousing itself to in its texts/doctrines/practices, but beyond that, most of it is no better than fiction/fantasy.

Once those chains have dropped and realization dawns, I feel that there is a lot of baggage and fear that can just be let go. You may not be "sure" about your "place" in the universe - but you can come to a place where you can be much more sure that there is little to no reason to stress over it.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I've been trying to figure out what you're angry with ?

Atheists ? Agnostics ? What about...there lack of worship to your `God` ?
I'm confused here !

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think leaving religion is definitely driven by an annoyance at the dogma and political affiliation of many churches - whether it is anger or disillusion with the teachings, I'm not sure, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that (say) Biden is a decent man and Trump isn't. So that when your preacher is telling you otherwise, is it any wonder people question the preaching?

Last edited:

King Phenomenon

Fortunately for everyone, the world has been getting more and more secular, and less religious over the last century. As it becomes less religious and the power of religions to inflict pain and death upon agnostics and atheist lessens, more than more people feel free to speak out that they are not religious, and in fact not even theistic.
However, I believe that I see several different camps of atheism, and I’m wondering if other people see this too.

Often, at least in Christian communities, are people angry at one or more articles of dogma in their religion that drive(s) them away. Effectively they are saying, “Oh yeah?! Well if that’s the way you’re gonna be, then I’m outa here! In fact, I don’t even believe in you! So there!”

Often we find these young people becoming seekers; drifting from religion to religion while claiming to be “atheist”, more out of anger then out of understanding. I believe that subliminally they hope to find what they believe to be the true message of God somewhere out there. And of course this means that they never really ceased believing in the divine. Truly they are deists, searching for a way back to understanding their God.
This group is not as small as one might think. For these include people who are angry with their perceived God because of some tragedy in their life. They see disease and horrible death, violence and intolerance, and they cannot imagine a loving God allowing such suffering to continue/exist in this world/universe. :(

Personally, I don’t really consider these people should be counted among atheists or agnostics. And I wonder what percentage of the census tracking of such matters is muddied by the presence of these “angry atheists”, who are effectively acting like upset children and turning their backs upon their childhood religions, and likely who will return to a religion again, once they get over whatever initially upset them.
True, while they are in this period of freedom from the brainwashing of their church/synagogue/mosque/etc.... they may go on to study the wide range of evidence and logic which points toward a true lack of existence for any divine being, and actually become agnostic or atheist in full, but that is likely far from 100% of them.

Your thoughts?
Well for now. People may end up inflicting even more pain upon atheists and agnostics even if religions cease to exist at all.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Your thoughts?

I think it's a fair point and they exist.
Whilst not 'angry', my first realisation that I was an atheist involved rejecting the teaching in front of me. I had no belief in God, and was ignorant enough of religions that I could be 'sure' God didn't exist.

Luckily I don't trust certainty, and have picked at it pretty relentlessly. Whilst still an atheist I have a more nuanced understanding of belief and religion now.

However, if you're worried about census numbers consider the number of 'believers' who seem to invest no effort in understanding their own belief, or following the tenets of their claimed religions...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can't recall meeting anyone who became an atheist out of anger.
It was always the realization that they'd been hoodwinked.

Daemon Sophic

I've been trying to figure out what you're angry with ?

Atheists ? Agnostics ? What about...there lack of worship to your `God` ?
I'm confused here !
o_O??
I personally am not angry. People that leave their own religion/church/sect.... Some that I have encountered (usually younger, more emotionally volatile) have expressed their own switch to “atheist” as an attempt to spite the God and the church that they had been raised in.

But thank you for your concern. :)

Well for now. People may end up inflicting even more pain upon atheists and agnostics even if religions cease to exist at all.
Sorry. Not following you. o_O
If religions ceased to exist, then atheists and agnostics would still be persecuted.........uh.....why?

King Phenomenon

o_O??
I personally am not angry. People that leave their own religion/church/sect.... Some that I have encountered (usually younger, more emotionally volatile) have expressed their own switch to “atheist” as an attempt to spite the God and the church that they had been raised in.

If religions ceased to exist, then atheists and agnostics would still be persecuted.........uh.....why?
Unfortunately bad people will always exist even if there isnt religion. There will always be different ideas.

King Phenomenon

o_O??

Well if you get rid of religion there would still be people who believed in God

King Phenomenon

o_O??

We'd have to All stop believing in God for atheists to not be persecuted which is a far-fetched idea

King Phenomenon

o_O??

I view God as infinite space and The essence of my existence. I respect atheists beliefs. I'm never going to abandon my beliefs because some religious people may persecute atheists.