• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And yet another case of an 'impossible position'

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Premature baby case returns to court

2005-03-14 14:00:54

Britain_teaser1728296.jpg

The case of Charlotte Wyatt, the premature baby clinging to life in an oxygen box, has returned to court.

On October 7, 2004, a judge ruled that any further "aggressive" treatment, even if necessary to prolong her life, is "not in her best interests".

Doctors had won the right not to resuscitate Charlotte, who is now 17 months old, after arguing that she was brain-damaged and "had no feelings other than continuing pain".

However, experts now claim she can see, hear, smile and enjoy being cuddled.

And Charlotte's parents, Darren Wyatt, 33, and Donna, 23, from Buckland, Portsmouth, have said there is also evidence that she can follow objects with her eyes and hear clapping.

When Charlotte was born three months premature at St Mary's Hospital, Portsmouth, she weighed just 1lb and measured only five inches.

She had serious brain, lung and kidney damage, was fed through a tube, needed a constant supply of oxygen and was incapable of voluntary movement or response.

However, Charlotte defied the odds and survived the winter months since the ruling.

Mr Justice Hedley, sitting in Cardiff, is hearing evidence from six independent experts who say the little girl shows no evidence of being in pain, and is aware, alert, active and responsive.

Mr Hedley will then decide whether to lift the order.

These cases really 'tear at my heartstrings' ; the only thing I can ever think when I hear about these ( and they crop up only too regularly!) is that I am so grateful that I was never put to the test of having to decide.................:)

No*s

Captain Obvious
They tear at mine also Michel. All I can say is "poor child" :(. It's really all I can say in response...

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
That is so sad! When things like that happen, it strengthens my atheism. I just can't believe a loving god would allow such things to happen.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
It is a sad thing that such events occur. Lcukily, these situations neither strengthen nor damage my beliefs. The Source wants us all to learn, and by experiences such as these (horrible as they are) we learn. The Deities may dislike/like the situation, but it is not their place to intervene.

I am very glad that I have not been subjected to such occurences, however. My parents, at one point, were, though. I was terribly sick (I don't remember what it was) and on death's door. I was only around one year old though, or even less.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
retrorich said:
That is so sad! When things like that happen, it strengthens my atheism. I just can't believe a loving god would allow such things to happen.
I used to think that way, Rich, until I worked it out for myself; now I am happy in the knowledge that there is a good reason behind it all (Not that it makes the pain any easier to bear); I just learned the bit that still made 'God' loving, even though these things happen. I wonder out of the two of us, who is the happier with our belief system ? - I really must get on and make that pain/joy meter I always mean to make!!!!:jiggy:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Blame God for what???

For having a baby beat the odds that the Godless said he couldn't beat?

For allowing us to increase our technology so that these "Frog Babies" (a pound or less) have better than a %90 chance of survival?

For the parents being involved with drug abuse or living such stressful lives that the baby is born premature?

Why are we so quick to blame God for our excesses?

I for one am glad that the child is doing so well! It's amazing how resilient these little tykes are.