• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And There Is Not A Crisis At The Border?

David1967

Premium Member
What should have been done when we knew this was coming:

1.let the Northern Triangle Countries and their people know that we will do everything we can to help them if they stay in place.

2.hired more lawyers and judges, such as what was recommended, to speed up processing those who still come here.

3.grant temporary asylum for those who qualify.

4.work with those who didn't qualify to see what other options might be available. And...

5. work with the other nations in the region as closely as possible to see what they could do to ameliorate the situation, possibly including creating closer trade relationships that may be able to create more jobs in the region-- sorta like a Marshall Plan for Latin america like that which helped to rebuild Europe and helped us to grow economically.

Maybe some other ideas that I'm not aware of that might help out, so are there any additions for you to suggest?

I think all of those you suggested are very useful ideas. Very sensible IMHO.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Chances are you are rich enough to be in the top
1% in the world, and if not, that is pretty sad for you-
and you probably dont have a dime to spare for a 401.
I have $0 in a 401k. I prefer to control my own money.

Additionally, I'm not in the 1% in America. But have plenty of family that are. I'm not worried about my retirement.

I should add, a true capitalist wouldn't have a 401k

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
I have $0 in a 401k. I prefer to control my own money.

Additionally, I'm not in the 1% in America. But have plenty of family that are. I'm not worried about my retirement.

I should add, a true capitalist wouldn't have a 401k

You put it in an envelope under the mattress?
If you invest in anything you are being one of them
awful capitalists, you know. Mao would spot you
for a capitalist roader in a flash, if you tried it.

I am sure you are not in the 1% in america. I didnt
say that anyway, I said in the world.

A true capitalist...

A well, how can I argue both sides for you?
You are so sure I am not a capitalist, but I do
not have a 401. But I do have a dreadfully
clever accountant.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
For certain reasons, in my house we watch a lot of 1950's TV westerns. Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Death Valley Days, Bonanza, and especially Laramie (Robert Fuller is the house favorite).

There are whole channels dedicated to these old shows and if you watch them in volume you see the common theme. The heroic Libertarian myth of the Old West. Small, or nonexistent, government. Small towns populated solely by good white Christians every day under attack by savages, criminals, and fancy dudes from back east who want their land.

The woman is always looking for a good man to keep her safe.

The rare person of color is the help or comic relief.

Indians grunt, wear war bonnets, and are played by Italians in redface.

The heroes, white men all, drink in the saloon, fight, or hunt down bad guys.

EVERY problem is solved with a gun or a rope.

It is a rare episode indeed where a gun isn't the deciding factor.

A strong man takes what he wants, land, women, power. He doesn't need anything from anybody, especially the government. It's not about right or wrong, it's about manifest destiny and your trusty six-shooter makes you right all of the time -- if you're fast enough.

There were hundreds of these shows in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. All the same. All the same themes. All the same subtle (and not so subtle) prejudices, myths, and ingrained historical falsehoods.

These shows shaped an entire generation.

Shaped how we Americans think of America.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Hollywood is to blame anything in particular. These shows didn't create this mythology, they simply refined it, turned it into popular entertainment, and shaped a viewpoint which echoes generations later -- and you can see the same words and ideas flowing through social media.

You wonder where I'm going with this?

I'm going here. To the West, to the border, where armed white men, vigilantes, take justice into their own hands and are again come to save the day with guns and ropes and edit people of color from our history.

From the ACLU: "Two nights ago, an armed civilian militia organization describing itself as the 'United Constitutional Patriots' arrested nearly 300 people seeking safety here, including young children, in New Mexico. Other videos appear to show even more recent arrests..."

That's where I'm going. Right there.

This is the myth, the heroic white cowboy legend, that Trump's generation sold itself, an America that never was, small, limited, SIMPLE, where problems are solved with a gun and rope and all a good woman needs is a rough man to defend her from the savages outside of town.

When those who call themselves conservatives today talk of conserving "our" history, well, that's the history they mean and they would erase anyone who does not fit their myth from it -- or relegate the rest of us to the help or comic relief.

But America is more than that.

This viewpoint has shaped our thinking for far too long.

This silly small myth has been our national narrative for far too long.

Our history is far richer, far more complex than some Hollywood fable.

And so is our present.

The future must be much more than that.

- Jim Wright