• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"....and then the end will come" (Matt 24:14) The "end" of What?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
When Jesus gave the "sign of his presence" (parousia) and the "end of the age" what was he talking about? (Matt 24:3-14) He was clearly talking about his "second coming" so what is it "the end" of?

What do you expect to see happen according to what Jesus taught?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Destruction of evil and those who worship it and false gods. The "worldly ones".
Believers who survive the calamity will live under a Theocratic government world wide.
A God/Jesus based government.
Or so I've been told.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
When Jesus gave the "sign of his presence" (parousia) and the "end of the age" what was he talking about? (Matt 24:3-14) He was clearly talking about his "second coming" so what is it "the end" of?

Well. Since this is religious debates instead of scriptural, Ill say:

Nothing

Unless a christian actually feels in his heart other people will suffer and be destroyed, I really dont know where to begin with how morally wrong that is.

:confused:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I can't make much sense out of all that stuff. I wonder what Jesus really meant versus what might have been put in his mouth later by people with an agenda.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Nothing

Unless a christian actually feels in his heart other people will suffer and be destroyed, I really dont know where to begin with how morally wrong that is.

Yes however all it takes for evil to prevail is for the good people to do nothing . I think it is later date Christian propaganda 15th century ? idk propaganda stating if you hurt the Christians in Jerusalem great armies will fall upon you and whoop you again .
End time is prophecy not certainty .

Treasure Hunter

I can't make much sense out of all that stuff. I wonder what Jesus really meant versus what might have been put in his mouth later by people with an agenda.
He was describing the coming of the Son of Man. Jesus personified the S.o.M., but it exists within all of us. He was teaching transformation, an internal resurrection. In order for something to transform, it needs to die (end of an age) first. Jesus taught in the realm of the mental; it must be understood metaphorically.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
He was describing the coming of the Son of Man. Jesus personified the S.o.M., but it exists within all of us. He was teaching transformation, an internal resurrection. In order for something to transform, it needs to die (end of an age) first. Jesus taught in the realm of the mental; it must be understood metaphorically.
OK, but it sure sounds like a confusing way to explain what you are saying. Why did it need to be explained so obtusely I then wonder.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Destruction of evil and those who worship it and false gods. The "worldly ones".
Believers who survive the calamity will live under a Theocratic government world wide.
A God/Jesus based government.
Or so I've been told.

You have been told correctly. :)

We were meant to have this Theocratic Government (Rulership by God) at the outset, but rebels spoiled things for those who were to come from them....their children, now born in sin.

The only way to settle the issue of God's sovereign right to direct his creation was to allow creation to live without his direction and see where it got them. They were free to choose their own course without much intervention from God.

We are living in the results. This is the world created by satan and his followers. (1 John 5:19) But God's kingdom will "come" whether humans are ready or not, and he will usher in his rulership by ridding the earth of all corrupt human governments. (Dan 2:44)
Theocratic rule is what we should have had in the beginning. The "END" is the end of this whole wretched system in which the Creator is ridiculed and rejected by the majority.
Jesus even indicated that "many" who claim to be Christians will not pass muster either. (Matt 7:21-23) This gives a new perspective to his words in Matt 7:13, 14. :(

We have to be obedient to God in all things in order to stand before him as his subjects.

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Nothing

Is it morally wrong to put lawbreakers to death when they know that the death penalty applies before they ever break the law?
Believing that the lawmaker doesn't exist will not excuse us. Ignorance of the law is no excuse either. This applies in many countries even today. :eek:
So why shouldn't it apply with God's laws? Try smuggling drugs into Thailand by telling them that its for medicinal purposes and that you live by your own laws. o_O

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

The "agenda" goes back to the garden of Eden. According to the Bible, Adam chose to plunge the human race into sin and death in response to a test of his loyalty...choosing to join his disobedient wife instead of obeying his Creator.
God then made the first prophetic statement recorded in the scriptures.

Gen 3:15:
"And I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.”

The meaning of this prophesy was shrouded in mystery for centuries until the players were identified.
Addressing the serpent (satan) God spoke of putting enmity (ill will) between him and the woman (which ended up not being Eve) and between her offspring and his offspring. A mutual hatred would fester for millennia. The offspring of the woman would ultimately deliver a fatal head wound to the serpent, but not before satan had delivered a heel wound to the woman's offspring.

This is a prophesy about the son of God coming to earth to finally deal the serpent a fatal blow, but the serpent would inflict a heel wound, temporarily disabling the Christ.
Jesus recovered from that wound when God resurrected him from the dead.

The fatal head wound is yet to be dealt to the serpent and will include all his followers (both angels and humans) who have been at odds with God's family of human and spirit creatures for thousands of years. We have a record of the human side of the conflict in the Bible, and a glimpse of what has been going on behind the scenes in the book of Job.

There is no 'later agenda'...it was just one story from start to finish. Satan started it...Jesus will finish it. o_O We choose whose side we are on.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Gen 3:15:
"And I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.”

I am not sure how I can strike him in the heel after my head is crushed.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Is it morally wrong to put lawbreakers to death when they know that the death penalty applies before they ever break the law?

Yes, if the law is morally wrong.

Suppose a state establishes a law that every second born child must be put to death.

Have mothers in that state any reason to complain if their second kid is put to death?

Ciao

- viole

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
He was clearly talking about his "second coming" so what is it "the end" of?
Yeshua won't officially return until all things are fulfilled, and that is at the very end of reality its self.

Matthew 24:29-30 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: (30) And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Basically the return is a sign of the coming of Judgement day, and after for some to reign in the Messianic age.

Matthew 24:37-39 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. (38) For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, (39) And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
There will be soon worldwide destruction, earth quakes, tidal waves, mass hurricanes mostly caused by human destruction of the planet; why Revelations says God will remove those who are destroying earth.

There will also be world war 3 fought over Israel. There will be mass starvation due to raising diseased cattle, where we will get global pandemics.

The verses you posted (Matthew 24:5) about people deceived by 'Ego I-mee' (I Am), and 'Eggzio' (time draws near) has already happened globally, and is the gospel of John, epistles of Paul, and Simon the stone (petros) who've misled everyone.

Basically when everything is nearly destroyed, then God will step in, and save those who are worthy to be called children of God.

Great deception, Tribulation, Second Coming, Judgement day, Messianic age. :innocent:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Nothing

There isn't a choice in all of this, it is an inevitability; just like in Buddhism, we go through ages of Enlightenment and destruction.

So considering there is religious prophetic texts globally saying virtually the same thing; that makes a more solid case, then some people saying 'nothing will happen, because i don't want it to'.

Well if people don't want it to happen, then maybe we as a planet should put our heads together, and save the environment before it is to late, which basically gives us less then 10 years to globally shift the whole thing, before we start to see how bad it will become. :innocent:

allfoak

Alchemist

This passage Matt 24:3-14 is not to be taken literally any more than this oneshould be taken literally.

Luke 9:23New International Version (NIV)
23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

The end that is spoken of is not an end of the world scenario but an end to our divided nature.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Believing that the lawmaker doesn't exist will not excuse us. Ignorance of the law is no excuse either. This applies in many countries even today. :eek:
So why shouldn't it apply with God's laws? Try smuggling drugs into Thailand by telling them that its for medicinal purposes and that you live by your own laws. o_O

It shouldnt apply to god. In other words, its morally unethical to be accountable for sin by a stranger with whom you 1. Does not exist and 2. Only exists in a book and hearts of followerers.

Lawbreakers (theif, killers, etc) are procecuted because they have broken the law And they know their authority exists and have writte laws from yesterday and today (common law) that have the rights to convict them.

They do not get the death penalty for theif etc. Usually the punishment is supposed to (without political corruption) fit the crime.

Our laws when used correctly are more fit to the crime than gods laws. I will go to hell for taking a penny off the floor someone droped and I did not give back. All because 1. I dont believe and 2. I never repented

Did you knoow in American law it is sometimes good for the accused to admit his crime? He gets a lesser sentence in some cases than if he denied doing it. Especially when there is hard evidence against him.

Did you know gods laws dont work that way? Even if he "repented" if he is nit christian, he goes bye-bye. It reminds me of some countries that will arrest you just for not wearing their cultural attire as a touroust.

"Logically" it makes sense a creator would punish his creation for sin. Parent to child.

Morally it does not make sense.

1. Because a nonexistant being cannot punish what the the bible (not all humans) call creation

2. The punishment does not fit the crime

3. The punshment is not similar to American Laws (as aboved explained)

4. God does not exist

You cant use the "no excuse" phrase. Its a useless phrase to people who know god does not exist. How can you have know excuse for not knowing about nothing?

You gotta admit its not logical even though you disagree. o_O

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There isn't a choice in all of this, it is an inevitability; just like in Buddhism, we go through ages of Enlightenment and destruction.

So considering there is religious prophetic texts globally saying virtually the same thing; that makes a more solid case, then some people saying 'nothing will happen, because i don't want it to'.

Well if people don't want it to happen, then maybe we as a planet should put our heads together, and save the environment before it is to late, which basically gives us less then 10 years to globally shift the whole thing, before we start to see how bad it will become. :innocent:

Using a thousand people against one to claim something is true is not logical. Just people dont trust anyone unless someone else confirms it. Like a girlfriend leaving her mate because her friend says her mate is cheating on her. Silly. Why date if you cant trust the person you are dating.

If dammation is true I cant control it. Since it is not I cant form a logical opinion if I want it or not cause it wont happen. Hypotherically I can. Factually, I cant.