• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And The Sun Stood Still

Ben Avraham

AND THE SUN STOOD STILL

It is amazing to see how religious Scholars from almost all quarters of religious life struggle so hard to prove that a day is missing in the history of the universe which can be explained only by the "miracle" that the sun stood still so that the Israelites could win a decisive battle at the conquest of Canaan, so they assert. Vanity of vanities! When will vanity fade? The answer is in the same chapter of Joshua for how and why the "sun stood still."

According to Moses Maimonides in his Book "Guide for the Perplexed" most references to the sun, moon and stars, falling or standing, moving or standing still, are references to the powers that be. When Joshua entered the Land of Canaan with a power unmatched by any other power in the world of then, five Canaanite kings got into a strong coalition composed by the city states of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jarmuth, Lachish and Eglon in order to be able to stop Joshua's achievements. That's when the epic myth that the sun stood still came about and here is how, according to Joshua 10:13-27.

As the Israelites were faring better in the battle and pursuing the enemies, the above coalition of kings got into the cave of Makkedah and stood still in the hope to keep the secret of their hiding place. Somehow, Joshua was told that they were hiding in that cave and he ordered that a stone wall be built at the entrance to the cave, set some soldiers to watch outside and ordered the Israelites to keep on fighting and pursuing the enemy armies while the kings stood still and until the battle was over. It was a long day so-to-speak as the powers that be stood still until Joshua had achieved complete victory. Then he ordered the cave to be open and the kings to be brought out and over to be punished with death.

That's when the sun stood still until the war was over. That's all. No mystery about a natural miracle. Just a strategy of Joshua to make sure the enemy kings (sun and moon) stood still until the war was over. Hence, Joshua was included as the first among the most successful Generals in ancient and modern History.

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Am I reading this right? You're asserting that the sun standing still is a poetic description of a tactic by Joshua, not an actual description of the sun literally ceasing movement across the sky(well, from our visual perspective)?

Ben Avraham

Am I reading this right? You're asserting that the sun standing still is a poetic description of a tactic by Joshua, not an actual description of the sun literally ceasing movement across the sky(well, from our visual perspective)?

I am not fun of atheists but, sometimes I agree with them when I find theists surprised that, "The Sun Stood Still" is not literal. Yes, I am asserting that the sun stood still is a metaphorical poetic description of the great General Joshua's tactic to embellish his victory in an almost impossible to win battle against five kings in Canaan. Think Nietzsche and try to incorporate the wisdom of him whom you have chosen to represent yourself by way of an avatar. If the sun stood still even for a fraction of time, it would be catastrophic for all Mankind.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I am not fun of atheists but, sometimes I agree with them when I find theists surprised that, "The Sun Stood Still" is not literal. Yes, I am asserting that the sun stood still is a metaphorical poetic description of the great General Joshua's tactic to embellish his victory in an almost impossible to win battle against five kings in Canaan. Think Nietzsche and try to incorporate the wisdom of him whom you have chosen to represent yourself by way of an avatar. If the sun stood still even for a fraction of time, it would be catastrophic for all Mankind.
I completely agree(I would think it's obvious I'm not a member of any of the Abrahamic faiths), I just wanted to make sure you really were suggesting the "sun stands still" bit was metaphor or poetic license rather than a literal event.

Ben Avraham

I completely agree(I would think it's obvious I'm not a member of any of the Abrahamic faiths), I just wanted to make sure you really were suggesting the "sun stands still" bit was metaphor or poetic license rather than a literal event.

Sorry for having doubted of you. I think I failed to make use of Logic to figure that you could not be assuming that, the sun stood still was a literal event. You have my apology.

whirlingmerc

AND THE SUN STOOD STILL

It is amazing to see how religious Scholars from almost all quarters of religious life struggle so hard to prove that a day is missing in the history of the universe which can be explained only by the "miracle" that the sun stood still so that the Israelites could win a decisive battle at the conquest of Canaan, so they assert. Vanity of vanities! When will vanity fade? The answer is in the same chapter of Joshua for how and why the "sun stood still."

According to Moses Maimonides in his Book "Guide for the Perplexed" most references to the sun, moon and stars, falling or standing, moving or standing still, are references to the powers that be. When Joshua entered the Land of Canaan with a power unmatched by any other power in the world of then, five Canaanite kings got into a strong coalition composed by the city states of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jarmuth, Lachish and Eglon in order to be able to stop Joshua's achievements. That's when the epic myth that the sun stood still came about and here is how, according to Joshua 10:13-27.

As the Israelites were faring better in the battle and pursuing the enemies, the above coalition of kings got into the cave of Makkedah and stood still in the hope to keep the secret of their hiding place. Somehow, Joshua was told that they were hiding in that cave and he ordered that a stone wall be built at the entrance to the cave, set some soldiers to watch outside and ordered the Israelites to keep on fighting and pursuing the enemy armies while the kings stood still and until the battle was over. It was a long day so-to-speak as the powers that be stood still until Joshua had achieved complete victory. Then he ordered the cave to be open and the kings to be brought out and over to be punished with death.

That's when the sun stood still until the war was over. That's all. No mystery about a natural miracle. Just a strategy of Joshua to make sure the enemy kings (sun and moon) stood still until the war was over. Hence, Joshua was included as the first among the most successful Generals in ancient and modern History.
God is a big God and if he wants to make the sun stand still. Or in the case of Jesus dying on the cross going dark for hours. God can do as He pleases

Ben Avraham

God is a big God and if he wants to make the sun stand still. Or in the case of Jesus dying on the cross going dark for hours. God can do as He pleases

Most definitely you are right. Nothing is too complicate for HaShem to achieve. He can do every thing He wants but one, the thing you wish He did or should have done. If He wants to make the Sun stand still, no problem; it will but, So far He hasn't revealed to His prophets that He wanted or did it. The author of the book of Joshua decided to use the analogy of the Sun and Moon which in Biblical language means powers-to-be to symbolize the achievements of Josua's victory in Canaan agains 5 kings by means of an allegory.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
AND THE SUN STOOD STILL

If you're going to invoke the Rambam and The Guide for the Perplexed, as the source for what you write, you really should then provide his explanation, given therein, regarding the events in Joshua and not cherry pick another part that is contrary to his explanation.

Furthermore, if you are basing what you have written on the section I am thinking of, Maimonides is discussing metaphorical language used by the prophets and it is not really germane here.

Last edited:

Ben Avraham

If you're going to invoke the Rambam and The Guide for the Perplexed, as the source for what you write, you really should then provide his explanation, given therein, regarding the events in Joshua and not cherry pick another part that is contrary to his explanation.

Furthermore, if you are basing what you have written on the section I am thinking of, Maimonides is discussing metaphorical language used by the prophets and it is not really germane here.

I may be mistaken but I don't think you read the thread or focused on your reading of it. I am taking nothing literal but working on the metaphorical mind of the author of the book of Joshua. And with regards to Maimonides, he would not take any thing literal either. He was not a scientist but, he was a little more intelligent to interpret that text literally. He would know of the drastic consequences as a result of a stop in the movement of the Sun.

Ben Avraham

Bloody wonderful thanks, the truth has set me free.

Well, my friend, Jesus did say that the truth sets one free. (John 17:17) Now, since the Truth is absolutely One, where is it to be found? The best indicated person to answer that question would have
been Jesus himself. Since he is no longer available for that, how about finding that out from his identification? Who was Jesus? He was a Jew whose Faith was Judaism and whose gospel was the Tanach. Now, you can fill into the blancs from here.

Last edited: