• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And The Biggest Reason Capitalism Beats All Other Systems

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People, particularly the well-to-do, often buy items as status markers rather than for their utilitarian value, though I guess there may be some utility in cementing tribal solidarity in a desirable, influential status community.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People, particularly the well-to-do, often buy items as status markers rather than for their utilitarian value, though I guess there may be some utility in cementing tribal solidarity in a desirable, influential status community.
To pay extra because of the status of having paid extra.
I'm just not get'n it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To pay extra because of the status of having paid extra.
I'm just not get'n it.
It demonstrates that you have more money than you need and, of course, the concomitant power and social status. You can can afford to waste it on frivolities.

Common upper class status markers are expensive suits or cars, palatial houses, or designer handbags and shoes. I can buy better quality and more functional clothes, shoes and satchels at an army surplus store -- but they would signal membership in an entirely different status community.

All status communities have their status markers. They can be expensive nail art, tennis shoes, or even disheveled, ill-fitting clothes. All are keys, admitting you to your social tribe of choice.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It demonstrates that you have more money than you need and, of course, the concomitant power and social status. You can can afford to waste it on frivolities.

Common upper class status markers are expensive suits or cars, palatial houses, or designer handbags and shoes. I can buy better quality and more functional clothes, shoes and satchels at an army surplus store -- but they would signal membership in an entirely different status community.

All status communities have their status markers. They can be expensive nail art, tennis shoes, or even disheveled, ill-fitting clothes. All are keys, admitting you to your social tribe of choice.
About nail art.....
I once saw a full size sculpture of a moose made out of nails welded together.
It was prolly tens of thousands of dollars.
While not for me to spend that kind of money, it was a wonderful work,
& I thought it worth the money....someone else's money.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The Trade Secrets out!!!! Noooooo!!!!

I think most of us knew or at least suspect already that a fair majority of businesses typically sell cheap junk at insanely exorbitant prices to start with these days.

That's even true for digital "products" we're complete junk is sold for insane prices. Mostly in the video game business.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Yeah, that's definitely a true point. I've heard more than once where rich people buy things for no other reason other than that they can , and other people can't.

Remember that show Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous? *Belch*

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Trade Secrets out!!!! Noooooo!!!!

I think most of us knew or at least suspect already that a fair majority of businesses typically sell cheap junk at insanely exorbitant prices to start with these days.

That's even true for digital "products" we're complete junk is sold for insane prices. Mostly in the video game business.
You should see some of the insane prices on ebay by sellers trolling for suckers.