• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And let's not forget Iyad Halak ...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
There are thousands of George Floyds in the Middle East whose lives are taken in silence. Police states have become a staple of the region so much that many have simply become desensitized to such occurrences.

It is most terrifying when a considerable portion of any given population defends such murders for any political or ideological reasons, too.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
(Knowing full well what I'm stepping into...)
Palestinian lives matter.
Interesting. I don't recall a similar thread when that Israeli soldier was killed a couple of weeks ago from a rock thrown at his head. And an only child he was, too.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't hear about the poor kid.

That, or it's like in Animal Farm: All people's lives matter, but some people's lives matter more. :disrelieved:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Interesting. I don't recall a similar thread when that Israeli soldier was killed a couple of weeks ago from a rock thrown at his head. And an only child he was, too.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't hear about the poor kid.

That, or it's like in Animal Farm: All people's lives matter, but some people's lives matter more. :disrelieved:

Leaving out the" benefit of the doubt" line - which has all the appearance of a cynical lie - what we're left with is little more than ...

tu quoque meets the "all lives matter" trope.

Thanks for sharing.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

What about you? Do you care about the incident reported in the OP as much as you do the one involving the Israeli soldier?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
What about you? Do you care about the incident reported in the OP as much as you do the one involving the Israeli soldier?
Not as much, no. It might be because I'm desensitized, as you put it, it might be because we, my family, that is, experienced a personal loss just last week. Who knows. But I don't go around starting threads like this, waving social justice banners and calling Israelis murderin' pro-apartheidists (not saying the OP is, but that's a general feel I get from these types of threads. It's also what some people will almost inevitably comment about). Are lives being lost on both sides? Yes. Do some people's lives matter more? Well, if you haven't got concrete proof that these are evil terrorists, then, no, no they don't.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Not as much, no. It might be because I'm desensitized, as you put it, it might be because we, my family, that is, experienced a personal loss just last week. Who knows. But I don't go around starting threads like this, waving social justice banners and calling Israelis murderin' pro-apartheidists (not saying the OP is, but that's a general feel I get from these types of threads. It's also what some people will almost inevitably comment about). Are lives being lost on both sides? Yes. Do some people's lives matter more? Well, if you haven't got concrete proof that these are evil terrorists, then, no, no they don't.

I'm sorry for your family's loss. My condolences.

I see nothing of what you mentioned, be it "waving social justice banners" or otherwise, in this thread or its OP. I view sentiments like those expressed in the OP as crucial to promoting peace, introspection, and self-correction among both Israelis and Palestinians.

If we start viewing losses on both sides as a reason to unite and promote peace instead of comparing who has more battle scars or more deaths, then I think we may get somewhere toward achieving peace in this region. Until then, the tribalism and hatred will probably continue unscathed.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sorry for your family's loss. My condolences
Thank you. May we all know better times.
I see nothing of what you mentioned, be it "waving social justice banners" or otherwise, in this thread or its OP.
Well, as I mentioned to Jayhawker, this thread was put in the ME political debate section. If it was simply a "let's extend a hand of friendship and empathy to our Palestinian brethren thread", he would have put it in general discussion or member announcements or something like that (and I would have probably moved on without saying much of anything) . Jayhawker is intelligent and well-versed enough in the workings of this site to know that when a thread is put here, it's not merely to extend empathy, but to make a point (consider that when someone here disses North Korea, just about everyone nods along. However, in terms of stuff relating to Israel - well, along with the anti-Israelis here, we also have pro-Israelis). The point I got is what I stated in previous posts.
If we start viewing losses on both sides as a reason to unite and promote peace instead of comparing who has more battle scars or more deaths, then I think we may get somewhere toward achieving peace in this region.
Like I said in my first post here, let's, indeed, view the losses on both sides and not just one side.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The sick idea that Jewish lives are somehow more important and valuable than Palestinian lives, is how we got in this insane mess in the first place.

74x12

The sick idea that Jewish lives are somehow more important and valuable than Palestinian lives, is how we got in this insane mess in the first place.
Some Israelis need to take Ex. 22:21 more seriously.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Given that the Israeli government practices very repressive measures and is taking over the East Bank bit by bit, that has to be considered as well.

(Side note: as a Jew I cheered Israel through the 1973 war (outside of the war of Britain, France and Israel against Egypt over Suez). After 1973 my support gradually diminished and has vanished during Netanyahu's government. I still support Israel's right to exist but even that is fading Israel walks further down a very dark road).

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering that Palestinian bombers have, in the past, hidden weapons and bombs in ambulances delivering pregnant women and sick people, considering that the unit these Magavniks (the slang term for someone serving in the Israeli BP unit) serve in is a unit with many non-Jewish people serving in it (so much so, that it is well-known for this fact), and considering that just a couple of weeks ago a non-Jewish IDF soldier lost his leg in a terrorist attack in a checkpoint, was commended by his officers and stated that despite the loss of his leg, wants to go back into service, I'm not sure how you conclude that Jewish lives are more thought to be more important than others because these BP officers were suspicious and this was the thought that drove them as they shot the man.
Further, the identities of those involved have yet to have been made public.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The IDF policies are every bit as despicable as those used by Palestinian terrorists, and the vast majority of people killed in Israel are Palestinian. Israelis have a lot of explaining to do to the good Lord when they meet their maker.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The IDF policies are every bit as despicable as those used by Palestinian terrorists, and the vast majority of people killed in Israel are Palestinian. Israelis have a lot of explaining to do to the good Lord when they meet their maker.
So, if, hypothetically, we'd discover that both shooters are Israeli Druzes or Israeli Arabs, your reaction would be that they were brainwashed by the IDF's policies?