• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And It Is Not A Crisis?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Did you not read the article.. Appears not
The city of Brownsville administers these rapid tests at the bus station, after migrant families are released by the Border Patrol. A spokesperson for Brownsville confirmed that, since they began doing these tests Jan. 25, 108 migrants have tested positive for Covid-19, which is 6.3 percent of those who took the test.

Eva Orellana, 29, who is from Honduras and who tested positive, said she was going to take the bus to North Carolina with her 3-year-old daughter. "On the way, we were wearing a mask all the time, gel, washing our hands," she said. "Really, I don't feel anything."
Those who tested positive and spoke to Telemundo did not have any document indicating their Covid-19 test results; they said they were simply told by the station workers after taking the test.

I read the relevant article. What is the problem?

Colt

It's gonna be a challenge, no doubt, but Biden is much more compassionate towards people, including children, than was and is Trump. A large part of this problem was and is caused by Trump's removal of any foreign aid to those in the Northern Triangle Countries that still has not been restored.

Now, when I say "foreign aid", I'm not referring to just dumping money on them because we simply cannot trust their governments. Also, we should try and work as closely with their neighbors instead of pretty much ignoring them, which is what the last administration largely did.
"Nice" stereotype, plus the last line is nothing short of being sheer nonsense.

Some people do show compassion towards others and not see everything being just partisan politics. Biden has long been known even by many Pubs as being a moral and compassionate person, but we certainly can't say the same about Trump.

BTW, who'd you support?
Enabling isn't compassion. Importing undocumented cheap labor that lives off the grid is not "compassion". That's just virtue signaling by do-gooders and exploitation by business owners. Coming from resource rich countries it would be more compassionate to encourage them to fix the problems in their countries of origins.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Enabling isn't compassion. Importing undocumented cheap labor that lives off the grid is not "compassion". That's just virtue signaling by do-gooders and exploitation by business owners. Coming from resource rich countries it would be more compassionate to encourage them to fix the problems in their countries of origins.
You've distorted what I actually posted so as say things I didn't say.

"Compassion" means to care for those who may be suffering so as to do something more than just playing disingenuous games. Plus, I would suggest that a "do gooder" is significantly more moral than a "do badder" or a "don't carer".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's gonna be a challenge, no doubt, but Biden is much more compassionate towards people, including children, than was and is Trump. A large part of this problem was and is caused by Trump's removal of any foreign aid to those in the Northern Triangle Countries that still has not been restored.

Now, when I say "foreign aid", I'm not referring to just dumping money on them because we simply cannot trust their governments. Also, we should try and work as closely with their neighbors instead of pretty much ignoring them, which is what the last administration largely did.
It really boils down to whos actually benefitting and who's not. It's a matter of discernment and practicality to make immigration a win win for both.

Twilight Hue

That depends on what you consider a win.
Well it would have to be both, the Citizens and those who migrate here.

If no jobs are lost and there is plenty of work around, plus health concerns stay stable, and whatnot, then all this factioning would become a non issue.

Thing is you would need a well thought out way to accomplish that, and not have that mentality of figuring out things after problems surface if any.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well it would have to be both, the Citizens and those who migrate here.

If no jobs are lost and there is plenty of work around, plus health concerns stay stable, and whatnot, then all this factioning would become a non issue.

Thing is you would need a well thought out way to accomplish that, and not have that mentality of figuring out things after problems surface if any.

That only applies to some cases. In some cases for refugees, your standard doesn't apply, because the standard for a win is different.

The refugee gets a better live and you gave the refugee a better life despite not meeting your standards for work and health.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
These numbers say nothing on face value as far as I can tell.
Some background information for you. The governor of Texas was attacked by Biden for totally dropping controls against Covid19. He ended mask requirements and is opening up all businesses to pre-Covid standards:
Gov. Greg Abbott says it’s time to open Texas 100%, end statewide mask mandate

That was described as Neanderthal thinking by Biden. When how risky that was he tried to blame Mexican illegal immigrants even though Mexico has a lower infection rate. Yes, some of the illegals are infected. Guess what? When it comes to any large population some of them will be infected. At any rate rather than admitting how stupid he was he used an even worse and racist argument trying to shift the blame of the inevitable boom in cases that we will probably see in Texas.

Twilight Hue

That only applies to some cases. In some cases for refugees, your standard doesn't apply, because the standard for a win is different.

The refugee gets a better live and you gave the refugee a better life despite not meeting your standards for work and health.
I think migrants are looking for a better standard of life. Asking others to lower theirs as an accommodation is going to be a very hard sell, and defeats the reason why migrants are coming in the first place.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think migrants are looking for a better standard of life. Asking others to lower theirs as an accommodation is going to be a very hard sell, and defeats the reason why migrants are coming in the first place.

Well, studies have shown, that while you need money to achieve a certain level of living for you to be happy, money beyond that level doesn't mean that you become more happy with more money. The idea that more and more money makes to happy just be having more money is without evidence, just like God.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, studies have shown, that while you need money to achieve a certain level of living for you to be happy, money beyond that level doesn't mean that you become more happy with more money. The idea that more and more money makes to happy just be having more money is without evidence, just like God.
I recall a Freakonomics podcast debunking your claim.
What mattered most was the relative level of wealth &
benefits enjoyed relative to others in one's proximity.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I recall a Freakonomics podcast debunking your claim.
What mattered most was the relative level of wealth &
benefits enjoyed relative to others in one's proximity.

Yeah, that is a part of it. But the limit is that everybody is relative to everybody else as to relative wealth, benefits and proximity, so if you change for such a group their wealth and benefits, they will stay happy. :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're worried about COVID-19 now? You're interested in taking measures to control the pandemic? Glad to hear it.

Of course you'd never use a public health crisis as an excuse for xenophobia, would you?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Esmith strikes me as a stand up guy, & one who treats
all people well. This cannot be said of some here.
Perhaps. He may have been taken in by the governor of Texas this time.

The governor of Texas has to know better. He abused some facts to make xenophobic statements about illegal immigrants to try to cover up his stupid actions.