• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And another.....Texas anti-mask movement leader dies of COVID-19

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's a common theme.

You don't expect any leftists owning up to that.

Aside from that I'm actually curious.

Why do you think the US has plummeted so badly on the freedom index?
They ranked Indiana as pretty free (one of the top) despite harsh drug laws, blue laws prohibiting alcohol sales on Sunday, a bunch of car mod restrictions, and not being able to vote on things like DST amd right to work.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And consider we just gave Newsom a landslide of approval with his covid policies. And despite those restrictions we've remained a wealthy, economically thriving state.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I didn't see your assertion in your provided link, but it did have a link to this: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

"Cloth masks not only effectively block most large droplets (i.e., 20-30 microns and larger) but they can also block the exhalation of fine droplets and particles (also often referred to as aerosols) smaller than 10 microns which increase in number with the volume of speech and specific types of phonation. Multi-layer cloth masks can both block up to 50-70% of these fine droplets and particles and limit the forward spread of those that are not captured. Upwards of 80% blockage has been achieved in human experiments that have measured blocking of all respiratory droplets, with cloth masks in some studies performing on par with surgical masks as barriers for source control."

But there needs to be a certain distance between both parties to be effective.

For example, if I walked into a warehouse and five people are in varies areas of the huge building it's no use to wear a mask unless you feel that you'd catch COVID just by being being in the same building as if the virus is a gas.

If that be the case you can catch pretty much every virus. Proximity is an important determinant when talking about mask effectiveness.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

For example, if I walked into a warehouse and five people are in varies areas of the huge building it's no use to wear a mask unless you feel that you'd catch COVID just by being being in the same building as if the virus is a gas.

If that be the case you can catch pretty much every virus. Proximity is an important determinant when talking about mask effectiveness.

Of course proximity is always going to be a factor, hence the social distancing measures. But that wasn't your assertion.

You stated:

"It's common sense. Unless you have a medical mask designed filter air, it's pretty much catch sprays from sneezes but unless you're close, none more than that."

The source from the CDC you cited clearly states that cloth masks can be effective as well:

"A follow up study in 2020 found that healthcare workers whose cloth masks were laundered by the hospital were protected equally as well as those that wore medical masks." Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
It's a common theme.

You don't expect any leftists owning up to that.

Aside from that I'm actually curious.

Why do you think the US has plummeted so badly on the freedom index?

Nor do you expect Rightists owning up to their own hand in it. Perusing some articles, the focus seems to have been on economics, particularly in taxation, regulation, and the ability to start a new business.

The problem is that given things like regulation, I have to wonder if there is some bias, given the Cato Institute's hand in it. Regulation has become a necessary thing in a world where environmental and human health can be directly impacted by the economy.

Also, it would appear that things like women's rights, freedom of press, crime and violence, lgbt rights and such are also factored in.

Blaming this on Democrats and mask wearing is far too simplistic and biased.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

True, but even close proximity masks are way better than no masks.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
True, but even close proximity masks are way better than no masks.

It's supposed to be for close proximity not just being in the same building.

I scratch my head when a person wears masks indoors cause they are told but no one is with them in the building or twenty feet away.

Apart from rules, that never made much sense to me. I personally need to know how a said rule or action is applicable to my daily life-something I can "see" unless it's a bomb threat.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's supposed to be for close proximity not just being in the same building.

I scratch my head when a person wears masks indoors cause they are told but no one is with them in the building or twenty feet away.

Apart from rules, that never made much sense to me. I personally need to know how a said rule or action is applicable to my daily life-something I can "see" unless it's a bomb threat.
That's because, again, the virus can linger in the air for hours, and indoors especially it can be projected well beyond 6 feet.
And they are applicable because you are a living human being who is not totally cut off and isolated from other people.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They ranked Indiana as pretty free (one of the top) despite harsh drug laws, blue laws prohibiting alcohol sales on Sunday, a bunch of car mod restrictions, and not being able to vote on things like DST amd right to work.

Dosent answer any reasons as to why we are plummeting down the freedom index.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That's because, again, the virus can linger in the air for hours, and indoors especially it can be projected well beyond 6 feet.
And they are applicable because you are a living human being who is not totally cut off and isolated from other people.

That's with pretty much any virus. In my head I'm imagining my being sixty feet away from you in a warehouse store (which there are such things here) and soon as you come in you hurry to put on your mask because you don't know if my breathe (and anyone else's for that matter) is lingering long enough for you to be infected. I mean data can tell you that you should be worried, but isn't there a barrier between what you read and your own sense of safety?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure it's being implied that all deaths over the past year have been counted as covid, even if the deceased doesn't have covid.
Yeah. I know we are both aware that a certain portion of the population operates on believed information and not actual information.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's with pretty much any virus. In my head I'm imagining my being sixty feet away from you in a warehouse store (which there are such things here) and soon as you come in you hurry to put on your mask because you don't know if my breathe (and anyone else's for that matter) is lingering long enough for you to be infected. I mean data can tell you that you should be worried, but isn't there a barrier between what you read and your own sense of safety?
How many viruses kill hundreds of thousands of Americans a year? Millions around the world?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"An aerosolized form of the virus "means the drop doesn't go down right away; it hangs around for a bit," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said on a recent episode of "The Daily Show." "So you could come into a room thinking everything's all right and then you inhale it."

"I think the WHO is being irresponsible in giving out that information," Donald Milton, an infectious-disease aerobiologist at the University of Maryland, told NPR in March.
He added: "The epidemiologists say if it's 'close contact,' then it's not airborne. That's baloney."
This is not evidence for the claim of the mask being "useless".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah. I know we are both aware that a certain portion of the population operates on believed information and not actual information.
And of course don't forget the urgent need push oneself into the affairs of other people hence putting one's nose into the business of others. Misinformation or not. ..

... news flash.

It's none of your business what other people do with themselves.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How many viruses kill hundreds of thousands of Americans a year? Millions around the world?

That doesn't make the precaution more or less effective just your motivation to take precautions are more pronounced based on how many people died from the virus.

I know data tells you what to worry about, but do you have a barrier between what you read and your sense of safety?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That's not only not evidence, it's not even correct.
BTW, common sense tells me that masks are useful.

I didn't say they weren't. I just thought it was common sense that masks are effective given certain situations. Unfortunately, I can't back track because staff deleted the post. I don't know the context to which it was referring.