• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And another.....Texas anti-mask movement leader dies of COVID-19

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then you really don't care about people dying from COVID just the innocent and exempt?

Do you think that just because majority of the people are vaccinated we'd just go back to normal as if we have to wait for cases to drop in order to save those effected by the pandemic?
No, I don't want anyone dying. Like the thread that was closed it does appear to be some sort of justice when those that have harmed so many died from the disease that they denied.

Put it this way, if people only put themselves at risk. If there was only a non-human source of this virus, I would not care if people opted to not get the vaccine. But when people for whatever bad reason they have, and no one can seem to come up with a rational excuse, refuse to get vaccinated and hurt others in the process I am going to point out the hypocrisy of their beliefs.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We don't have control and we never will have control. We can mitigate the symptoms and even try to prolong getting sick but COVID doesn't follow our rules. It's an illusion of control and without multitasking, we can try to "control COVID" for years but be back where we started.
Uh huh. Tell that to polio. Tell that to smallpox.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Uh huh. Tell that to polio. Tell that to smallpox.

We don't. It's an illusion of control. We're not "god."

Even more so thinking that COVID would just disappear in a year.

History of Smallpox | Smallpox | CDC Smallpox lasted near over a decade before there was control." But my point is we're not god.

After ten years (let's say) of vaxed there'd be so much loss it would be unrealistic to think we can pick up where we started. "After this is over ... " Suffering can't be put on hold.

If we can't multitask people would be dying but no one cares cause they're stuck on getting one more person vaxed.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We don't. It's an illusion of control. We're not "god."

Even more so thinking that COVID would just disappear in a year.

History of Smallpox | Smallpox | CDC Smallpox lasted near over a decade before there was control." But my point is we're not god.

After ten years (let's say) of vaxed there'd be so much loss it would be unrealistic to think we can pick up where we started. "After this is over ... " Suffering can't be put on hold.

If we can't multitask people would be dying but no one cares cause they're stuck on getting one more person vaxed.
What does being God have to do with it? It does not take God for a species to go extinct.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No, I don't want anyone dying. Like the thread that was closed it does appear to be some sort of justice when those that have harmed so many died from the disease that they denied.

Put it this way, if people only put themselves at risk. If there was only a non-human source of this virus, I would not care if people opted to not get the vaccine. But when people for whatever bad reason they have, and no one can seem to come up with a rational excuse, refuse to get vaccinated and hurt others in the process I am going to point out the hypocrisy of their beliefs.

I only get that way with things I know first hand. Data can tell me I wasn't contagious 2019 but I wake up from the same bed 2021 I am but it's me that have to use noggin and think did I do something that increase my chance of getting covid (thereby spreading it) to warrant the worry.

What did I or should I not Do to increase my risk. If my risk was high then taking the vaccine is fine if going by that reason alone. But I highly doubt any doctor would tell me to take a med, let's say, to prevent my harming others.

That's odd in itself. I go to the doc and say doc, I'm not sick but I want to take this med so others won't get sick. That idea doesn't make sense in my head.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What does being God have to do with it? It does not take God for a species to go extinct.

It's a quasi figure of speech saying we're not 100% in control of anything*. We like to think we are but unless living in the moment is a cliche, it's only an illusion. Saying we can control over life and death.

In other words, how US handles the "wat against the virus" is assuming we can bear it overnight with just one more jab.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I only get that way with things I know first hand. Data can tell me I wasn't contagious 2019 but I wake up from the same bed 2021 I am but it's me that have to use noggin and think did I do something that increase my chance of getting covid (thereby spreading it) to warrant the worry.

What did I or should I not Do to increase my risk. If my risk was high then taking the vaccine is fine if going by that reason alone. But I highly doubt any doctor would tell me to take a med, let's say, to prevent my harming others.

That's odd in itself. I go to the doc and say doc, I'm not sick but I want to take this med so others won't get sick. That idea doesn't make sense in my head.
Really? Almost every doc would tell you that if you asked him. They tend to know how these things work.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's a quasi figure of speech saying we're not 100% in control of anything*. We like to think we are but unless living in the moment is a cliche, it's only an illusion. Saying we can control over life and death.

In other words, how US handles the "wat against the virus" is assuming we can bear it overnight with just one more jab.

Granted, we are not 100% in control of anything. But the actions of the antivaxxers is only prolonging our agony right now. . We cannot even begin to go back to normal because too few people have been vaccinated. If you read an understood your link about the smallpox virus you would have seen that it was not eradicated from all of the world at once. Specific areas controlled the disease first. Once again, Denmark has a very high vaccination rate and they are on the road 'back to normal'.

No matter what happens we will need to be on our toes as we eliminate this from one part of the globe to another. There may be some strong travel restrictions on areas without sufficient medical infrastructure until this is ended. But we did it with polio. We did it with smallpox. If we give up before we start then there is no way that we can succeed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I went to a place that gives vaccinations.

You can do better than this.

Doctors you know and go to not ones who stick a needle in your arm and say next.

If you go to the doctors, do you tell your doctor, hey. I don't have symptoms but I want to take this X med just in case I get others sick. You think your family doctor would go along with that?

... That does not appear to be the case since the fatality rate for those that caught the disease is closer to 2%. ...

The source that I gave is speaking of the infected people, if I understood it correctly. And I understand that there may be difference in how probably someone will get the infection. For what I was speaking of, it doesn't matter, because I was comparing people that have the infection. It may be that the killed people got it more easily, but still they should die for it with same percentage as other people who have the infection.

But, if you say that the probability to die for Covid is 2 %, it seems to be in contradiction with the source I gave. It is not a problem for my argument, because 2 % is still much less than 90 %. But, do you think the www.acsh.org is not a reliable source?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The source that I gave is speaking of the infected people, if I understood it correctly. And I understand that there may be difference in how probably someone will get the infection. For what I was speaking of, it doesn't matter, because I was comparing people that have the infection. It may be that the killed people got it more easily, but still they should die for it with same percentage as other people who have the infection.

But, if you say that the probability to die for Covid is 2 %, it seems to be in contradiction with the source I gave. It is not a problem for my argument, because 2 % is still much less than 90 %. But, do you think the www.acsh.org is not a reliable source?
That was my point. You did not understand it correctly since it did not make that claim. You misinterpreted a chart where it showed age related chances of death if one caught the disease. It is not that simple. The odds of dying go up with one's age. And so do the odds of catching Covid in the first place. If someone only looks at the odds of dying if one has the disease it is about the same as the odds of dying from the Spanish Flu.

By the way, it is likely, though I do not have the statistics at all, that there were similar statistics for that disease. In general as people get older the immune system begins to fail. That means that not only is one more likely to get ill as one ages. One is more likely to have serious consequences to any particular disease.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Another Covid denier in the news....
Right-Wing Activist Laura Loomer Has 'Brutal' Case of COVID After Claiming It's No Worse Than Food Poisoning
Excerpted...
Right-wing activist Laura Loomer confirmed this week she has COVID-19 and the symptoms have been “brutal.” In the past, she expressed an interest in contracting the virus so she could prove it’s no worse than food poisoning.

“Just pray for me please,” she wrote on Gettr, a social media platform launched by Jason Miller, a former spokesperson for Donald Trump. “Can’t even begin to explain how brutal the body aches and nausea that come with covid are. I am in so much pain. This is honestly the worst part about it.”

Last year, Loomer said she wanted to “get COVID” just to prove she’d had “bouts of food poisoning that are more serious and life threatening than a hyped up virus.”

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Another Covid denier in the news....
Right-Wing Activist Laura Loomer Has 'Brutal' Case of COVID After Claiming It's No Worse Than Food Poisoning
Excerpted...
Right-wing activist Laura Loomer confirmed this week she has COVID-19 and the symptoms have been “brutal.” In the past, she expressed an interest in contracting the virus so she could prove it’s no worse than food poisoning.

“Just pray for me please,” she wrote on Gettr, a social media platform launched by Jason Miller, a former spokesperson for Donald Trump. “Can’t even begin to explain how brutal the body aches and nausea that come with covid are. I am in so much pain. This is honestly the worst part about it.”

Last year, Loomer said she wanted to “get COVID” just to prove she’d had “bouts of food poisoning that are more serious and life threatening than a hyped up virus.”
Sometimes people get what they wish for.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some friends were going to visit a nephew in NY.
Nephew & family are anti-vaxers.
Trip cancelled....whole family is in hospital with Covid.
Well...one son isn't.
He got vaccinated cuz his wife has an immuno-compromised
family member. Her nagging meant he dodged the bullet.
This **** is real, people.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To flip this, what would happen IF a provaxxer was happy that he has a less chance of getting COVID and spreading it. He becomes infected as well as his loved ones. He is considered one of the "breakthroughs" and becomes hospitalized as critically ill for it.

Would it be his fault for taking the vaccine for granted?
Should we gloat that he made the "wrong" decision that lead him to the hospital?

I don't know if many anti-vaxxers and unvaccinated would gloat at breakthroughs (maybe some do, I don't know), but its the same difference.

Wandering Monk

My niece's fiancé died from Covid. He was in his late 40's. My niece got it and survived but has long Covid. Upstate New York.

My grand-niece got Covid and was hospitalized for three weeks. She had to be airlifted to a better hospital and was on a ventilator for 10 days. She is 26. She survived, but when she was discharged she couldn't walk 10 feet without being out of breath. She is experiencing long Covid as well. North Carolina.

A rabbi I know died from Covid. He was into homeopathy and was anti-vax.

Wandering Monk

It's funny how people who were saying Covid was fake or no worse than the flu a year ago are now making their own snake oil prophylactic medications to avoid getting Covid. I suppose you could call that progress. I call it whistling past the graveyard.