• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ancient Relics

JJ50

We have several in our home, including me of course.
003.gif

I would love to know the provenance of this key, which was discovered in my childhood home, it is obviously pretty old. I used to tease my grandchildren that is was the one the Minstrel Blondel, an ancestor of mine on my father's side of the family, used to release the 12th century British King Richard the Lionheart from his prison in Austria.

We also have pew from monastery sale, which we think dates back to the Tudor era, which my mother purchased for a fiver in 1952, when I was two. My father had it valued about 35 years ago and was told it was worth about £2000. It is in very good condition considering my sisters and I used to sit on it as kids, as did my children and grandchildren. It is now kept in our hall, and promised to our Vicar daughter when I pop my clogs.

Do other posters have any relics going back several centuries?

rocala

Nothing that old but I do own a book that has a small certificate inside. It states that it was a school prize awarded to my grandfather's brother.
A few years later he was killed, aged eighteen in the 1st WW.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My grandfather was a fisherman. He found this Roman amphora in a fishnet...it was on the bottom of the sea... Surely of the II century AD.

20190825_184913.jpg

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
We have several in our home, including me of course.
003.gif

I would love to know the provenance of this key, which was discovered in my childhood home, it is obviously pretty old. I used to tease my grandchildren that is was the one the Minstrel Blondel, an ancestor of mine on my father's side of the family, used to release the 12th century British King Richard the Lionheart from his prison in Austria.

We also have pew from monastery sale, which we think dates back to the Tudor era, which my mother purchased for a fiver in 1952, when I was two. My father had it valued about 35 years ago and was told it was worth about £2000. It is in very good condition considering my sisters and I used to sit on it as kids, as did my children and grandchildren. It is now kept in our hall, and promised to our Vicar daughter when I pop my clogs.

Yes .. a few pieces under 300 years old. .. A Russian Samovar, a Persian tray, a brass bedwarmer..

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My prize possession is a roman clay old lamp with impression of Diana carved into it. The reason it is special is that the makers thumbprint was embedded in the handle before it was fired.

I like a small chunk of concrete from the Coliseum that literally fell into my hand as i leant on a wall.

We also have a Louis XIV black marble fireplace,. Don't know its its provenance, it was in the house when we moved in. A guy doing some renovations for us offered 7000€ for it.

The house itself is over 200 years old

Oldest is not mine although i discovered it. My avatar is a 22000 year old cro-magnon skull on display at the national museum of pre-history in Les Eyzies

Heyo

Veteran Member
I don't own many old things but I love to make copies of old things for my Living History hobby.