• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ancient flood stories from many parts of the world

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Obviously? Not really. It's pretty hard to objectively quantify whether or not something is "more different" or "more similar." It's particularly hard to do it when given a giant laundry list that would take hours if not days to properly analyze, so it's hardly obvious given the source you've provided us. I also don't see how it's relevant, or why this topic was posted in this particular sub-forum. :shrug:

outhouse

Atheistically
So? The Flood stories usually have the same basic message though.

some of these are not even flood history, some are flood mythology and never happened.

some, water doesnt even apply, and when theology applies to a flood story, wet people are not even on the menu.

so for floods we have

historical floods
mythological floods
theological floods
flood legends
flood fables
flood songs
flood dances

ect ect

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
According to the Hindu story, it would have happened millions of years ago. Still, I have no idea if there is any evidence for or against that.

Man of Faith

Flood myths all over the world, could mean there was a global flood and the stories carried after the Ark as people multiplied and moved over the earth, with the stories passed down from generation to generation verbally. Of course we would expect the stories to be embellished and changed after many generations of verbal story telling.

And if God created all the animals in one day, then we would expect man to live with dinosaurs, and the dragon myths could be the stories of man living with dinosaurs.

rusra02

Premium Member
The stories obviously show far more differences than similarities.

Flood Stories from Around the World

We would expect a global Deluge to remain in mankind's collective memory. We would also expect the truth to be obscured by embellishments and storytelling as time passed and national groups engaged in false religion. I believe these Flood legends confirm the fact that such an event did,indeed, occur.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Agnostic75 wrote of these floods:-The stories obviously show far more differences than similarities.

I am absolutely delighted that you up/downloaded all this for us to read! Brilliant!
I like the Welsh one:- Dwyfan and Dwyfach escaped in a mastless ship with pairs of every sort of living creature. They landed in Prydain (Britain) and repopulated the world.

But the Welsh one seems very similar to the Biblical one! What's the problem? Are you saying that if the Flood story is exaggerated or wrong, that God does not exist? There was a huge flood which rose so high that it cut off Britain from Europe, and this same flood affected the whole of the rest of the World, probably causing some of these reports. It was VAST AND DEEP! And somebody mentioned dragons........ People were carrying tin from Cornwall to the Middle East several thousand years ago (for instance)....... People got about, and a report of a Nile crocodile would do nicely for any dragon.

Thanks again for those stories..... I am going to read the whole lot!

siweLSC

Interesting post. I wonder why there's also stories of dragons all over the world.

Because the word dinosaur did not exist untill fairly recently, so they were generally called dragons. Stories of dragons all over the world indicate that dinosaurs did coexist with man recently.
Look at this:
Evidence of Dinosaurs at Angkor - Answers in Genesis
http://www.answersingenesis.org/assets/images/articles/2007/01/angkor-zoom.jpg
That looks like a dinosaur to me :D
If you believe the bible, there are descriptions of dinosaurs in the book of Job.
There are also plenty of reports of dinosaur sightings in recent times
Sea monsters
A living dinosaur?

We would expect a global Deluge to remain in mankind's collective memory. We would also expect the truth to be obscured by embellishments and storytelling as time passed and national groups engaged in false religion. I believe these Flood legends confirm the fact that such an event did,indeed, occur.

Exactly. There are also many garden of eden myths around the world, the one at the forefront of my mind being pandoras box.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
In ancient India, dragons were simply flying snakes. Not fire breathing or anything (I don't remember that being the case but may need to revisit..), just a variety of snake that had wings.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
In ancient India, dragons were simply flying snakes. Not fire breathing or anything (I don't remember that being the case but may need to revisit..), just a variety of snake that had wings.

Similar to that Aztec God? (Mexico)

Last edited:

otokage007

Because the word dinosaur did not exist untill fairly recently, so they were generally called dragons. Stories of dragons all over the world indicate that dinosaurs did coexist with man recently.
Look at this:
Evidence of Dinosaurs at Angkor - Answers in Genesis
http://www.answersingenesis.org/assets/images/articles/2007/01/angkor-zoom.jpg
That looks like a dinosaur to me :D
If you believe the bible, there are descriptions of dinosaurs in the book of Job.
There are also plenty of reports of dinosaur sightings in recent times
Sea monsters
A living dinosaur?

Exactly. There are also many garden of eden myths around the world, the one at the forefront of my mind being pandoras box.

I think that maybe ancient people found some fossiles or bones and their imagination did the rest.

Similar to that Aztec God? (Mexico)

quetzalcoatl :)

Looncall

Something that has not yet been mentioned is that a global flood would leave physical evidence. No such evidence has been found, therefore there was no such flood, regardless of what old myths one can dig up.

Insisting on the Noachian flood is simply childish.

rusra02

Premium Member
Something that has not yet been mentioned is that a global flood would leave physical evidence. No such evidence has been found, therefore there was no such flood, regardless of what old myths one can dig up.

Insisting on the Noachian flood is simply childish.

How do you know what sort of physical evidence a global flood would leave behind?
Geologists have found evidence (marine fossils) that mountain ranges were once under water. There is plenty of water on earth today to inundate the land masses. A sudden, rapid climate change occurred in the past. Large numbers of mammals were killed and then quick frozen. Further, we have the testimony of reliable witnesses to the Flood, most notably, Jesus Christ. Was Jesus being childish when he pointed to the global Flood as a warning for people today? (Matthew 24:37-39) I think not.