• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ancient Civilizations

cladking

Are you familiar with the Nubian pyramids in northern Sudan?

No, I'm not.

I only know they are small and much taller than they are wide. They were used as tombs and date to long after the great pyramids and are, hence, irrelevant to both the great pyramids and their builders.

sooda

Veteran Member
No, I'm not.

I only know they are small and much taller than they are wide. They were used as tombs and date to long after the great pyramids and are, hence, irrelevant to both the great pyramids and their builders.

LOL.. They aren't irrelevant.. They are smaller but still quite large.

1. When were the Nubian pyramids built?
    Nubian pyramids. Pyramids of Upper Nubia built between middle of the 8th century BCE until 4th century CE, a period of close to 1100 years. There are more than 200 Nubian pyramids, compared to Egypt's 90.
    Nubian pyramids - LookLex Encyclopaedia
    www.looklex.com/e.o/nubian_pyramids.htm
    Is this answer helpful?
  2. Nubian pyramids - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nubian_pyramids
    Nubian pyramids. In 744 BC, the Ku****e king Piankhi overthrew the 24th Dynasty and united the entire Nile valley from the delta to the city of Napata under his rule. Piankhi and his descendants ruled as the pharaohs of the Twenty-fifth Dynasty. Napatan control of Egypt ended after being conquered by Assyria in 656 BC.

3. Nubian Pyramids - HiddenMysteries Information Central
    www.hiddenmysteries.org/mysteries/pyramid/nubian.html
    Nubian Pyramids. Treasuers of King Aspelta (Tomb no. 8). The Pyramids of Meroë. Between the 5th and 6th cataracts. During the Meroitic Period over forty kings and queens were buried at Meroë. Forty generations of Nubian royalty are buried in Meroë, and every royal Nubian tomb is …

4. Images of date of nubian pyramids
    bing.com/images

See more images of date of nubian pyramids
  5. Sudan Trip | Tour Ancient Pyramids in Nubian Desert
    https://www.geoex.com/trips/sudan-ancient-riches-nubian-desert
    Uncover the riches of Sudan's Nubian Desert when you explore the ancient pyramids, temples, and tombs of the ancient Nubians in Sudan with GeoEx. WAYS TO STAY IN TOUCH. ... Dates. 10/30/19 – 11/10/19 – Guaranteed* ...

6. The Mystery of the Miniature Pyramids of Sudan | Ancient ...
    Ooops! Something is wrong here ......
    The pyramids discovered in Meroe in Sudan were medium size pyramids, 80 in number, similar but not identical to the Egyptian pyramids that were used as tombs for their wealthy Nubian royals and high profile people. Until now more than 220 royal pyramids have been discovered in Sudan.

7. How to visit the Nubian pyramids in Sudan - Against the ...
    Off the Beaten Track Travel Blog - Against The Compassnubian-pyramids-sudan
    The Nubian pyramids in Sudan: A historical introduction. Nubia, located in the north of Sudan, was once home to three Ku****e Kingdoms: Kerma (2600-1520 BC), …

8. Nubian Pyramids in Sudan - Yara Travel & Tourism Agency
    https://www.yaratravelagency.com/nubian-pyramids-in-sudan
    Nubian Pyramids
    in Sudan : the most extensive Nubian pyramid site is at the ancient city of Meroë is located two hundred kilometers of Khartoum. ... audience halls, magazines and the so-called Roman Bath. In addition to a number of smaller temples found to date within the area of the former town, there is another Great Amun Temple joining the ...

9. Nubian pyramids: the last remains of the lost Nubian ...
    Towns Archives - Abandoned Spacesnubian-pyramids.html
    The Nubian pyramids, also known as the Ku****e pyramids, were erected by the kings and queens of the ancient African Ku****e kingdoms. About 255 Nubian pyramids were built in a period of only a few hundred years and as a point of reference, it was over a 3000 year period that the 115 ancient Egyptian pyramids were built.

10. Old Maps, Expeditions and Explorations: The Nubian Pyramids
    Old Maps, Expeditions and Explorations: October 2008nubian-pyramids.html
    The Nubian Pyramids By Kelly Smith The history of Nubia, the land south of Egypt, often in conflict with Egypt, frequently under at least partial control of Egypt and late in history, in control of Egypt, is an integral part of Egyptian history.

cladking

I believe they are wholly irrelevant because they were built after the ancient civilization built on metaphysical language collapsed at the "tower of Babel" about 2000 BC.

Even were this not true they would be irrelevant to understanding the great pyramids because they required so little work to build.

This isn't to say these pyramids aren't interesting in their own right but they are irrelevant to my understanding of ancient civilization. The work to build a pyramid is the W x H x W x 1/3 x Weight x efficiency. This makes them a small fraction of the work of a great pyramid no matter how they were built.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member

1. When were the Nubian pyramids built?
    Nubian pyramids. Pyramids of Upper Nubia built between middle of the 8th century BCE until 4th century CE, a period of close to 1100 years. There are more than 200 Nubian pyramids, compared to Egypt's 90.

There are 116 to 138 in Egypt. There is debate over some of the early step pyramids and those built into the ground. Some people consider the later shaft tombs rather than pyramids. More about category rather than simply shape

sooda

Veteran Member
There are 116 to 138 in Egypt. There is debate over some of the early step pyramids and those built into the ground. Some people consider the later shaft tombs rather than pyramids. More about category rather than simply shape

You got me there. Shaft tombs not pyramids?

The ones in Sudan are tombs, aren't they?

Shad

Veteran Member
You got me there. Shaft tombs not pyramids?

No as containing a shaft does not make the tomb a shaft tomb in itself. Pyramids are mound burials and linked with a religious worldview regarding the shape thus symbolism. As I said some of the recently discovered pyramids are built into existing terrain. The debate is if those represent an alternative construction method or a competing type of burial. Was the shape found using ground sonar part of the religious symbolism thus a mound or by necessity.

The ones in Sudan are tombs, aren't they?

Yes.

sooda

Veteran Member
No as containing a shaft does not make the tomb a shaft tomb in itself. Pyramids are mound burials and linked with a religious worldview regarding the shape thus symbolism. As I said some of the recently discovered pyramids are built into existing terrain. The debate is if those represent an alternative construction method or a competing type of burial. Was the shape found using ground sonar part of the religious symbolism thus a mound or by necessity.

Yes.

OK. Thanks.. I think I get it.

gnostic

The Lost One
I think people need to remember that the pyramids were tombs based on the design of the earlier mastaba-type tombs, before the 3rd dynasty (eg the Step Pyramid of Djoser, 3rd dynasty).

The mastabas were shape like table-top.

The step-type pyramids are like multiple mastabas stacked on top of one another. The one above is smaller than the ones below.

And they (mastabas) were common form of burial royalty throughout the Early Dynastic Period (hence, 1st and 2nd dynasties) and continued to be throughout the Old Kingdom period (3rd to 6th dynasties) and in the 1st Intermediate Period, because not very kings could afford to build pyramids.

Most of the mastabas from the 1st dynasty, were constructed at the Umm El Qa'ab, a necropolis of Abydos.

Abydos was one of capitals of Upper Egypt during the Predynastic Period; the other was located further south, called Nekken.

The first true pyramid-shaped tomb, started in the 4th dynasty, not by Khufu (eg the great pyramid), but by Khufu’s father, Sneferu.

Sneferu was the 1st king in the new dynasty (4th), and he had the “Red Pyramid” built in Dahshur.

Anyway, you can sometimes see mastabas located near pyramids.

I just thought I would bring these up, because there were other tombs in Egypt, before and after Khufu. Most people focused on Giza so much (as well as the New Kingdom’s Valley of the Kings, near Thebes), that they forget about Umm El Qa'ab, Saqqara and Dahshur.

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
I think people need to remember that the pyramids were tombs based on the design of the earlier mastaba-type tombs, before the 3rd dynasty (eg the Step Pyramid of Djoser, 3rd dynasty).

The mastabas were shape like table-top.

The step-type pyramids are like multiple mastabas stacked on top of one another. The one above is smaller than the ones below.

And they (mastabas) were common form of burial royalty throughout the Early Dynastic Period (hence, 1st and 2nd dynasties) and continued to be throughout the Old Kingdom period (3rd to 6th dynasties) and in the 1st Intermediate Period, because not very kings could afford to build pyramids.

Most of the mastabas from the 1st dynasty, were constructed at the Umm El Qa'ab, a necropolis of Abydos.

Abydos was one of capitals of Upper Egypt during the Predynastic Period; the other was located further south, called Nekken.

The first true pyramid-shaped tomb, started in the 4th dynasty, not by Khufu (eg the great pyramid), but by Khufu’s father, Sneferu.

Sneferu was the 1st king in the new dynasty (4th), and he had the “Red Pyramid” built in Dahshur.

Anyway, you can sometimes see mastabas located near pyramids.

I just thought I would bring these up, because there were other tombs in Egypt, before and after Khufu. Most people focused on Giza so much (as well as the New Kingdom’s Valley of the Kings, near Thebes), that they forget about Umm El Qa'ab, Saqqara and Dahshur.

Thank you...….

gnostic

The Lost One
Thank you...….
You’re welcome.

To me, the Great Pyramid made be the largest in the world, and a wonder to behold, but I find there are more important things than sheer size alone.

Djoser’s Step Pyramid is the first of any kind.

And while the 5th and 6th dynasties’ pyramids are far smaller in size and most in terrible shape, their values come from the wealth of hieroglyphic texts, hence the Pyramid Texts. These other pyramids matter far more to me than Khufu’s pyramid.

sooda

Veteran Member
You’re welcome.

To me, the Great Pyramid made be the largest in the world, and a wonder to behold, but I find there are more important things than sheer size alone.

And while the 5th and 6th dynasties’ pyramids are far smaller in size and most in terrible shape, their values come from the wealth of hieroglyphic texts, hence the Pyramid Texts. These other pyramids matter far more to me than Khufu’s pyramid.

Great stuff.

15 Facts about the First Ancient Egyptian Pyramid: The Step Pyramid of Djoser | Ancient Code

cladking

You do realize that all the "true pyramids" as you call them are actually five steps underneath. There is no reason to call any of these steps a mastaba and it's illogical to build these steps if they are just going to be hidden. But obviously they were necessary to construction.

A pyramid is neither a "mastaba" nor a "tomb" as far as is actually evidenced. Indeed, Snefru built three of these pyramid/ tombs or fifteen "mastabas if you insist on calling them stacked tombs.

Current beliefs are unevidenced, untenable, and illogical. We'll never understand ancient civilizations if we don't understand ourselves and how we form our beliefs.

sooda

Veteran Member
You do realize that all the "true pyramids" as you call them are actually five steps underneath. There is no reason to call any of these steps a mastaba and it's illogical to build these steps if they are just going to be hidden. But obviously they were necessary to construction.

A pyramid is neither a "mastaba" nor a "tomb" as far as is actually evidenced. Indeed, Snefru built three of these pyramid/ tombs or fifteen "mastabas if you insist on calling them stacked tombs.

Current beliefs are unevidenced, untenable, and illogical. We'll never understand ancient civilizations if we don't understand ourselves and how we form our beliefs.

Ancient Egyptian History: Mastabas, the Original Pyramids
The World's Largest Education Resourcemastabas-the-original-pyramids-120471
A mastaba is a large rectangular structure that was used as a type of tomb, often for royalty, in Ancient Egypt.

cladking

Yes! Mastabas were tombs.

There is no direct evidence any great pyramid was a tomb. There is no logic to explain how a mastaba could become a pyramid, why a king needed a pile of mastabas, or why pyramids would be built as a pile of tombs. It's illogic that has become repeated so many times that people think it sounds natural. Pyramids were tombs built for 3000 years by highly superstitious people with ramps. None of these assumptions is correct and "archaeological evidence" is word play and semantics.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes! Mastabas were tombs.

There is no direct evidence any great pyramid was a tomb. There is no logic to explain how a mastaba could become a pyramid, why a king needed a pile of mastabas, or why pyramids would be built as a pile of tombs. It's illogic that has become repeated so many times that people think it sounds natural. Pyramids were tombs built for 3000 years by highly superstitious people with ramps. None of these assumptions is correct and "archaeological evidence" is word play and semantics.

Perhaps they were monuments like the Lincoln Memorial.

I doubt the Egyptians were any more superstitious than our modern day conspiracy nuts.

The Pyramid of Djoser. The Pyramid of Djoser is the world's oldest pyramid. It was built during the 27th century BC and is 100 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza. (There's evidence that it started out as a mastaba.)

cladking

Perhaps they were monuments like the Lincoln Memorial.

I doubt the Egyptians were any more superstitious than our modern day conspiracy nuts.

The Pyramid of Djoser. The Pyramid of Djoser is the world's oldest pyramid. It was built during the 27th century BC and is 100 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza. (There's evidence that it started out as a mastaba.)

I agree.

And that first great pyramid probably really did start out as a mastaba.

It seems obvious some technological breakthrough allowed them to convert it into a "step pyramid".

Riders

10 Oldest Ancient Civilizations Ever Existed
https://www.ancienthistorylists.com/ancient-civilizations/10...
  • Author: Saugat Adhikari
    1. Mesopotamian Civilization. Civilization Name: Mesopotamia. Period: 3500 BC -500 BC. Originated …
    2. Indus Valley Civilization. Civilization Name: Indus Valley Civilization. Period: 3300 BC -1900 BC. …
    3. Ancient Egyptian civilization. Civilization Name: Egypt. Period: 3150 BC – 30 BC. Originated …
    4. Mayan Civilization. Civilization Name: Mayan Civilization. Period: 2600 BC-900 A.D. Originated …
    See all full list on ancienthistorylists.com

Oh yes I love that its so awesome! I noticed how Egypt is one of the most or was it number one of the most organized oldest civilizations with all the creations and devout devotion to the Sun God Gods and Godesses wow. See how our days are named after the Gods and Godesses Sun day Sunday Moon day Monday Thor day thursday saturn day wow! Neat! Its one reason I know the Godss and Godesses were watching after them
Considering the fact that the Bible makes Egypt into bad guys so much it puts the bible in a bad light. On the other hand I think Jesus wanted to bring Egyptian Pagan beliefs to Jews how cool!

Riders

You’re welcome.

Wow neat all proof that the Bible was incorrect.

sooda

Veteran Member
Oh yes I love that its so awesome! I noticed how Egypt is one of the most or was it number one of the most organized oldest civilizations with all the creations and devout devotion to the Sun God Gods and Godesses wow. See how our days are named after the Gods and Godesses Sun day Sunday Moon day Monday Thor day thursday saturn day wow! Neat! Its one reason I know the Godss and Godesses were watching after them
Considering the fact that the Bible makes Egypt into bad guys so much it puts the bible in a bad light. On the other hand I think Jesus wanted to bring Egyptian Pagan beliefs to Jews how cool!

Egypt controlled Sinai and Canaan.. I think it was envy..

The Egyptian Empire rose during the period of the New Kingdom (c. 1570- c. 1069 BCE), when the country reached its height of wealth, international prestige, and military might.

The empire stretched from modern-day Syria in the north to modern-day Sudan in the south and from the region of Jordan in the east to Libya in the west.