• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anchorite

Does the anchorite life appeal to you or inspire you at all?

• yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Being a hermit / anchorite was one accepted form of holiness, and holy men were the subject of respect and veneration and people gave them food, coins and necessities for that reason.

So you could have a basic sort of career as a hermit / anchorite.

It never hurts to work on your shtick, Simeon Stylites ('Simeon the Pillarman') lived for 37 years on a platform atop a pillar outside Aleppo; or rather, pillars, since he graduated by degrees from a 9-foot job to the deluxe fifty-footer.

For this he was made a saint. I'd be more inclined to canonize whoever had to clean up around the base of the pillar, but so it goes.

Nowadays, social services fill a lot of these gaps.

Ponder This

I respect a person's desire to devote himself to the highest ideal of which he is capable of conceiving.

I suppose that ultimately that ideal cannot be selfish, but must include a belief in something beyond one's self, that embraces all action in the universe rather than reject it.

Wisdom is to be found, not determined.

idav

Being
Premium Member
From Wikipedia:
An anchorite or anchoret (female: anchoress, signifying "to withdraw", "to retire"[4]) is someone who, for religious reasons, withdraws from secular society so as to be able to lead an intensely prayer-oriented, ascetic, and—circumstances permitting—Eucharist-focused life. Whilst anchorites are frequently considered to be a type of religious hermit,[5] unlike hermits they were required to take a vow of stability of place, opting instead for permanent enclosure in cells often attached to churches. Also unlike hermits, anchorites were subject to a religious rite of consecration that closely resembled the funeral rite, following which—theoretically, at least—they would be considered dead to the world, a type of living saint. Anchorites had a certain autonomy, as they did not answer to any ecclesiastical authority other than the bishop.[6]

The anchoritic life is one of the earliest forms of Christian monasticism. The anchoritic life became widespread during the early and high Middle Ages.[9] Examples of the dwellings of anchorites and anchoresses survive. A large number of these are in England. They tended to be a simple cell (also called anchorhold), built against one of the walls of the local village church.[10] In Germanic-speaking areas, from at least the 10th century, it was customary for the bishop to say the office of the dead as the anchorite entered his cell, to signify the anchorite's death to the world and rebirth to a spiritual life of solitary communion with God and the angels.

Most anchoritic strongholds were small, perhaps no more than 12 to 15 ft (3.7 to 4.6 m) square, with three windows. Viewing the altar, hearing Mass, and receiving the Eucharist was possible through one small, shuttered window in the common wall facing the sanctuary, called a "hagioscope" or "squint". Anchorites would also provide spiritual advice and counsel to visitors through this window, as the anchorites gained a reputation for wisdom.[12] Another small window would allow access to those who saw to the anchorite's physical needs, such as food and other necessities. A third window, often facing the street, but covered with translucent cloth, would allow light into the cell.

Anchorites were supposed to remain in their cell in all eventualities. Some were even burned in their cells, which they refused to leave even when pirates or other attackers were looting and burning their towns.[13] They ate frugal meals, spending their days both in contemplative prayer and interceding on behalf of others. Anchorites' bodily waste was managed by means of a chamber pot

In addition to being the crucial physical location wherein the anchorite could embark on the journey towards union with God and the culmination of spiritual perfection, the anchorhold also provided a spiritual and geographic focus for many of those people from the wider society who came to ask for advice and spiritual guidance. It is clear that, although set apart from the community at large by stone walls and specific spiritual precepts, the anchorite also lay at the very centre of that same community. The anchorhold was clearly also a communal 'womb' from which would emerge an idealized sense of a community's own reborn potential, both as Christians and as human subjects. Anchorite - Wikipedia

anchorite cell:View attachment 18798

Does this form of life appeal to anyone? I'm trying to recruit some anchorites. Living in a cell and praying all the time? It kind of appeals to me. I may soon go to a homeless shelter called "higher grounds" where I'm given my own cell, and I think I might become an anchorite. In the meantime I find that there is an inner cell in my heart that I can retreat to anytime to pray and seek enlightenment. A funeral rite was given to the person at consecration because they were essentially receiving a voluntary death sentence of solitary confinement for the rest of their lives.

I was told by a Franciscan Friar that sometimes they would build the walls around the recluse so that he/she had no escape.

Could you imagine though, there were people who permanently chose to live in a cell by themselves and never leave? (not even to go to Church. Holy Communion was brought to them.) That sounds like a hard life eh? Some of them must have gone crazy!

Anyway, maybe you can be a part time anchorite...just be a recluse at times finding solitude and seeking enlightenment and union with God through prayer, penance, suffering, meditation, and study of sacred texts?
That's pretty fascinating. Can you imagine an anchorite status after having someone getting crucified in your place. I think that's the Muslim claim.
Islamic view of Jesus' death - Wikipedia

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Those would be cloistered nuns and monks, not Anchorite, going by the definition in the OP. Personally, I don't have a very positive view of asceticism so I don't recommend it. But people can do what they like.

What's the difference between anchorites and monks/nuns? They're both types of renunciant, aren't they?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Anchorites must have gone years without taking a shower....that would get so greasy , smelly, and oily....eeew! :p