• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anchorite

Does the anchorite life appeal to you or inspire you at all?

• yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
From Wikipedia:
An anchorite or anchoret (female: anchoress, signifying "to withdraw", "to retire"[4]) is someone who, for religious reasons, withdraws from secular society so as to be able to lead an intensely prayer-oriented, ascetic, and—circumstances permitting—Eucharist-focused life. Whilst anchorites are frequently considered to be a type of religious hermit,[5] unlike hermits they were required to take a vow of stability of place, opting instead for permanent enclosure in cells often attached to churches. Also unlike hermits, anchorites were subject to a religious rite of consecration that closely resembled the funeral rite, following which—theoretically, at least—they would be considered dead to the world, a type of living saint. Anchorites had a certain autonomy, as they did not answer to any ecclesiastical authority other than the bishop.[6]

The anchoritic life is one of the earliest forms of Christian monasticism. The anchoritic life became widespread during the early and high Middle Ages.[9] Examples of the dwellings of anchorites and anchoresses survive. A large number of these are in England. They tended to be a simple cell (also called anchorhold), built against one of the walls of the local village church.[10] In Germanic-speaking areas, from at least the 10th century, it was customary for the bishop to say the office of the dead as the anchorite entered his cell, to signify the anchorite's death to the world and rebirth to a spiritual life of solitary communion with God and the angels.

Most anchoritic strongholds were small, perhaps no more than 12 to 15 ft (3.7 to 4.6 m) square, with three windows. Viewing the altar, hearing Mass, and receiving the Eucharist was possible through one small, shuttered window in the common wall facing the sanctuary, called a "hagioscope" or "squint". Anchorites would also provide spiritual advice and counsel to visitors through this window, as the anchorites gained a reputation for wisdom.[12] Another small window would allow access to those who saw to the anchorite's physical needs, such as food and other necessities. A third window, often facing the street, but covered with translucent cloth, would allow light into the cell.

Anchorites were supposed to remain in their cell in all eventualities. Some were even burned in their cells, which they refused to leave even when pirates or other attackers were looting and burning their towns.[13] They ate frugal meals, spending their days both in contemplative prayer and interceding on behalf of others. Anchorites' bodily waste was managed by means of a chamber pot

In addition to being the crucial physical location wherein the anchorite could embark on the journey towards union with God and the culmination of spiritual perfection, the anchorhold also provided a spiritual and geographic focus for many of those people from the wider society who came to ask for advice and spiritual guidance. It is clear that, although set apart from the community at large by stone walls and specific spiritual precepts, the anchorite also lay at the very centre of that same community. The anchorhold was clearly also a communal 'womb' from which would emerge an idealized sense of a community's own reborn potential, both as Christians and as human subjects. Anchorite - Wikipedia

anchorite cell:
800px-Anchorites_Skipton.jpg

Does this form of life appeal to anyone? I'm trying to recruit some anchorites. Living in a cell and praying all the time? It kind of appeals to me. I may soon go to a homeless shelter called "higher grounds" where I'm given my own cell, and I think I might become an anchorite. In the meantime I find that there is an inner cell in my heart that I can retreat to anytime to pray and seek enlightenment. A funeral rite was given to the person at consecration because they were essentially receiving a voluntary death sentence of solitary confinement for the rest of their lives.

I was told by a Franciscan Friar that sometimes they would build the walls around the recluse so that he/she had no escape.

Could you imagine though, there were people who permanently chose to live in a cell by themselves and never leave? (not even to go to Church. Holy Communion was brought to them.) That sounds like a hard life eh? Some of them must have gone crazy!

Anyway, maybe you can be a part time anchorite...just be a recluse at times finding solitude and seeking enlightenment and union with God through prayer, penance, suffering, meditation, and study of sacred texts?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Social isolation isn't good for your mental health, especially to such an extreme. Your physical health would deteriorate as well. I don't doubt that many of them probably went insane.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Don't get be wrong, I like seclusion, but I feel most spiritually alive in nature.
Be a nature anchorite...that is kinda what Buddha was when he sat under the Bodhi tree and vowed not to rise until he received the supreme wisdom and enlightenment.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Social isolation isn't good for your mental health, especially to such an extreme. Your physical health would deteriorate as well. I don't doubt that many of them probably went insane.
That is true...I would add that if the person really had communications with God, spirits, and angels, that time alone wouldn't be time alone. Some figures in history did indeed claim to have a social life and conversation with heavenly beings.

The people probably had to be crazy to choose the life of an anchorite in the first place. Who would want to voluntarily live their life in the epitome of solitary confinement? People really made that decision. That is intriguing imo.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
An anchorite life is a personal choice and to me of no benefit except in one's own personal journey, like other forms of celibacy it and of itself is materialism in reverse.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That is true...I would add that if the person really had communications with God, spirits, and angels, that time alone wouldn't be time alone. Some figures in history did indeed claim to have a social life and conversation with heavenly beings.

The people probably had to be crazy to choose the life of an anchorite in the first place. Who would want to voluntarily live their life in the epitome of solitary confinement? People really made that decision. That is intriguing imo.
You really have to ask yourself if the creator of the universe really would want you to lock yourself up in a tiny cell for the rest of your live? To me, there's a certain amount of hatred involves in such choices, hatred for yourself and hatred for society and the world at large. I would think such a being, if it does exist, would want us out and about, enjoying our lives, being active members of society and bettering our communities. Jesus didn't say to run from society and hide yourself.

Also, if you have to be mentally ill in the first place to make such a choice, why make it worse? Do you want to recover or not?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm utterly uninterested in being an anchorite. It's much more important to me to be of service to others as best I can.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
You really have to ask yourself if the creator of the universe really would want you to lock yourself up in a tiny cell for the rest of your live? To me, there's a certain amount of hatred involves in such choices, hatred for yourself and hatred for society and the world at large. I would think such a being, if it does exist, would want us out and about, enjoying our lives, being active members of society and bettering our communities. Jesus didn't say to run from society and hide yourself.

Also, if you have to be mentally ill in the first place to make such a choice, why make it worse? Do you want to recover or not?
I want to recover... I also feel closest to God and most enlightened while still , in silence and solitude...the only reason I want enlightenment is to help people , so being an anchorite for me would be temporary, or however long it takes to have union with God and enlightenment

DavidFirth

It has been said that Pope Emeritus Benedict has become very similar to being an anchorite in that he now prays for the people and worships almost constantly.

I don't think I could personally handle being an anchorite.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It has been said that Pope Emeritus Benedict has become very similar to being an anchorite in that he now prays for the people and worships almost constantly.

I don't think I could personally handle being an anchorite.
That's cool!

I was sort of joking when I said I'm trying to recruit anchorites, but I thought it might inspire those who wish to retire from the world.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I want to recover... I also feel closest to God and most enlightened while still , in silence and solitude...the only reason I want enlightenment is to help people , so being an anchorite for me would be temporary, or however long it takes to have union with God and enlightenment
It's not an either or thing. You can have your moments of silence and solitude while still existing in society. You should look into doing volunteer work. I honestly don't think shutting yourself off from people is going to help you. We're social creatures, after all. Even the Trinity concept points to the interdependence we all have on each other. What good is having faith without action? Even if you believe that just praying is helping someone, it should be backed up with loving actions. It's like if someone just lost a loved one and you just say that you'll pray for them without giving them a hug.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's not an either or thing. You can have your moments of silence and solitude while still existing in society. You should look into doing volunteer work. I honestly don't think shutting yourself off from people is going to help you. We're social creatures, after all. Even the Trinity concept points to the interdependence we all have on each other. What good is having faith without action? Even if you believe that just praying is helping someone, it should be backed up with loving actions. It's like if someone just lost a loved one and you just say that you'll pray for them without giving them a hug.
True

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
From Wikipedia:
An anchorite or anchoret (female: anchoress, signifying "to withdraw", "to retire"[4]) is someone who, for religious reasons, withdraws from secular society so as to be able to lead an intensely prayer-oriented, ascetic, and—circumstances permitting—Eucharist-focused life. Whilst anchorites are frequently considered to be a type of religious hermit,[5] unlike hermits they were required to take a vow of stability of place, opting instead for permanent enclosure in cells often attached to churches. Also unlike hermits, anchorites were subject to a religious rite of consecration that closely resembled the funeral rite, following which—theoretically, at least—they would be considered dead to the world, a type of living saint. Anchorites had a certain autonomy, as they did not answer to any ecclesiastical authority other than the bishop.[6]

The anchoritic life is one of the earliest forms of Christian monasticism. The anchoritic life became widespread during the early and high Middle Ages.[9] Examples of the dwellings of anchorites and anchoresses survive. A large number of these are in England. They tended to be a simple cell (also called anchorhold), built against one of the walls of the local village church.[10] In Germanic-speaking areas, from at least the 10th century, it was customary for the bishop to say the office of the dead as the anchorite entered his cell, to signify the anchorite's death to the world and rebirth to a spiritual life of solitary communion with God and the angels.

Most anchoritic strongholds were small, perhaps no more than 12 to 15 ft (3.7 to 4.6 m) square, with three windows. Viewing the altar, hearing Mass, and receiving the Eucharist was possible through one small, shuttered window in the common wall facing the sanctuary, called a "hagioscope" or "squint". Anchorites would also provide spiritual advice and counsel to visitors through this window, as the anchorites gained a reputation for wisdom.[12] Another small window would allow access to those who saw to the anchorite's physical needs, such as food and other necessities. A third window, often facing the street, but covered with translucent cloth, would allow light into the cell.

Anchorites were supposed to remain in their cell in all eventualities. Some were even burned in their cells, which they refused to leave even when pirates or other attackers were looting and burning their towns.[13] They ate frugal meals, spending their days both in contemplative prayer and interceding on behalf of others. Anchorites' bodily waste was managed by means of a chamber pot

In addition to being the crucial physical location wherein the anchorite could embark on the journey towards union with God and the culmination of spiritual perfection, the anchorhold also provided a spiritual and geographic focus for many of those people from the wider society who came to ask for advice and spiritual guidance. It is clear that, although set apart from the community at large by stone walls and specific spiritual precepts, the anchorite also lay at the very centre of that same community. The anchorhold was clearly also a communal 'womb' from which would emerge an idealized sense of a community's own reborn potential, both as Christians and as human subjects. Anchorite - Wikipedia

anchorite cell:View attachment 18798

Does this form of life appeal to anyone? I'm trying to recruit some anchorites. Living in a cell and praying all the time? It kind of appeals to me. I may soon go to a homeless shelter called "higher grounds" where I'm given my own cell, and I think I might become an anchorite. In the meantime I find that there is an inner cell in my heart that I can retreat to anytime to pray and seek enlightenment. A funeral rite was given to the person at consecration because they were essentially receiving a voluntary death sentence of solitary confinement for the rest of their lives.

I was told by a Franciscan Friar that sometimes they would build the walls around the recluse so that he/she had no escape.

Could you imagine though, there were people who permanently chose to live in a cell by themselves and never leave? (not even to go to Church. Holy Communion was brought to them.) That sounds like a hard life eh? Some of them must have gone crazy!

Anyway, maybe you can be a part time anchorite...just be a recluse at times finding solitude and seeking enlightenment and union with God through prayer, penance, suffering, meditation, and study of sacred texts?

Moses, Muhammad, Christ, Buddha and Baha'u'llah all had periods of seclusion prior to their mission.

Like many of their followers I had a period of seclusion for several years when searching for truth prior to deciding on a spiritual path and being called to serve.

Too much isolation can be detrimental to wellbeing just as association with certain difficult characters can take away peace.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Be a nature anchorite...that is kinda what Buddha was when he sat under the Bodhi tree and vowed not to rise until he received the supreme wisdom and enlightenment.

I find it more interesting to watch the birds eat for a few moments a day and think about how amazing it is they are designed to eat seeds. I don't need to be enlightened or find the divine for that. Nature is already amazing and alive and should be experienced in the open. It's as close to divinity as I'll know exist.

Tmac

From Wikipedia:

anchorite cell:View attachment 18798

Pipe dreams but why not.

I wonder what the statistics were to those that stayed and those the realized they had made a mistake and then what force was use to keep them honoring their vow?

syo

orthodox (including me) think highly of anchorites. and extremely virtuous anchorites, who have a blessing from god, can perform miracles. and it's common that ordinary people go to anchorites for a miracle or guidance or blessing.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What if you're part of a community of anchorites like a monastery or nunnery? Surely it wouldn't be so bad then.
Those would be cloistered nuns and monks, not Anchorite, going by the definition in the OP. Personally, I don't have a very positive view of asceticism so I don't recommend it. But people can do what they like.