• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anabaptists, Amish, Waldensians, Oh My...

Ellen Brown

Just doing my usual searching...

My stepfather was a backslidden Amish man from Pennsylvania. So doing some reading on that tonight I encounter a whole world of horror, burnings at the stake and general unkindness. Apparently the Amish originated in Switzerland and Alsacia. It appears as though part of the hostility came from delaying Baptism instead of doing it at birth. Just starting this really...

LightofTruth

Just doing my usual searching...

My stepfather was a backslidden Amish man from Pennsylvania. So doing some reading on that tonight I encounter a whole world of horror, burnings at the stake and general unkindness. Apparently the Amish originated in Switzerland and Alsacia. It appears as though part of the hostility came from delaying Baptism instead of doing it at birth. Just starting this really...
The word baptize is an anglicized word of the Greek baptizo which means to immerse. To baptize (immerse) in water means to completely submerge in water.
In Scripture, no one was ever smeared or sprinkled with water to be immersed because the word means to be submerged in water, not sprinkled or smeared with it.

Dave Watchman

And scorched by the Romish fagot.

The Waldenses were among the first of the peoples of Europe to obtain a translation of the Holy Scriptures. Hundreds of years before the Reformation they possessed the Bible in manuscript in their native tongue. They had the truth unadulterated, and this rendered them the special objects of hatred and persecution.

They declared the Church of Rome to be the apostate Babylon of the Apocalypse, and at the peril of their lives they stood up to resist her corruptions. While, under the pressure of long-continued persecution, some compromised their faith, little by little yielding its distinctive principles, others held fast the truth.

Through ages of darkness and apostasy there were Waldenses who denied the supremacy of Rome, who rejected image worship as idolatry, and who kept the true Sabbath. Under the fiercest tempests of opposition they maintained their faith. Though gashed by the Savoyard spear, and scorched by the Romish fagot, they stood unflinchingly for God's word and His honor. - Ellen White 1858

The Great Controversy - Chapter 4 - The Waldenses

Early may fly the Babylonian woe.

Sorry Ellen, I couldn't resist.

Ellen Brown

The word baptize is an anglicized word of the Greek baptizo which means to immerse. To baptize (immerse) in water means to completely submerge in water.
In Scripture, no one was ever smeared or sprinkled with water to be immersed because the word means to be submerged in water, not sprinkled or smeared with it.

I am not "The Regulator Of Religious Practicer", so I make no demands on anyone. It is shameful that the opposing parties of that day saw fit to burn folk at the stake and worse. As for submerged or sprinkled, I don't care. That is for God to judge. The time of Baptism is not critical for me, though I can understand what those who chose to delay it were trying to do. In my own opinion cultures are rife with "Obeying the Letter, but Ignoring the Spirit Of It". Sad, very sad.