• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Unkillable Myth About Atheists

Is the myth that atheists have no meaning in their lives a product of willful misunderstanding?

• Total voters

Noa

I think for the overwhelming majority of theists that would not be their thinking. The majority I would say think atheists just make the best out of their lives with no afterlife expectations.

That is entirely possible. As far as I know, we do not have good research on the topic. My point is that what you will hear and the views you will see can vary greatly. The most common response I have had to my lack of belief is being told that I do in fact believe but am just unwilling to submit.

Just as I should not make sweeping statements that I would receive a similar response from most theists, so should you not assume the majority of theists attribute any sort of meaning or purpose to an atheist life.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Nothing is clear because those "numbers" are made up. There is no "1, 0, -1" with such views. You also cannot assign such numbers, because an atheist times an atheist will never equal a theist, and if the numbers are reversed, a theist times a theist will never equal an atheist.

That's your /incorrect/ opinion.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
May I suggest to replace "theism = 1" with "theism = i"?

"i" being the imaginary unit, of course, :)

Ciao

- viole

Your equation doesn't really make sense. You are merely defending your position, without any real argument. It's interesting in that, you seem so attached, to what is theoretically, a non-position.

A Vestigial Mote

Your equation doesn't really make sense. You are merely defending your position, without any real argument. It's interesting in that, you seem so attached, to what is theoretically, a non-position.
And your "equation" does make sense? How? All you did was posit some numbers to go with some words "without any real argument". What is your deal, man?

A Vestigial Mote

... what?
Yeah, I don't know where he's getting this "it's a fact" and "no atheist has been able to refute it" nonsense. Just because none of the replies to his thread satisfied his willfully obstinate mind on the subject doesn't mean he established "fact". It is, quite frankly, absurd.

I could just as easily make a thread entitled "Theism is a stinkerific worldview", refuse to accept any replies as sufficient refutations of said position, and go on to conclude that it was now a "fact". It would be absolutely no different than what @Gambit has just "accomplished".

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I apologize for the assumption.
Please note that it was based off the very high percentage of theists that have a strong afterlife concept.
My point is that, yes, I do consider death to be the end of my individual life. It does not make me an atheist.
Which is a perfect example of why neither side has a monopoly on this.

Last edited:

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

[Source]

(1) Where indeed does the myth that atheists have no meaning in their lives come from?

(2) Is the myth that atheists have no meaning in their lives a product of willful misunderstanding? Why or why not

Atheists, materialists, physicalists, nazi's, communists etc. reject subjectivity. They reject reaching a conclusion about what the agency of a decision is by choosing the answer, resulting in an opinion.

Normally people relate to each other subjectively, emotionally, in regards to who they are, making the decisions that they do. So the one person expresses their own emotion about who the other person is. The expression of emotion operates by free will, thus choosing, maybe choosing the conclusion the other person is loving in making the decisions the other person does.

That means the conclusion that love is real is chosen, and that is something no atheist does. Atheists only accept the procedure of being forced by evidence to a conclusion, resulting in a fact, they don't do subjectivity.

Atheists don't express their emotions, rather they have a set of scripted ideas on what behaviours are loving, and if they see somebody conforming to those scripted ideas, then they will denote as scientific fact that this person is loving. To see if some behaviour is the same as some scripted behaviour is something a well programmed computer could do, there is no role for emotion in it. That is how the lives of atheists are generally meaningless.

A Vestigial Mote

Atheists, materialists, physicalists, nazi's, communists etc. reject subjectivity.
Did you think this up with a straight face? I'm actually imagining more of a sly and significant derp.

They reject reaching a conclusion about what the agency of a decision is by choosing the answer, resulting in an opinion.
What does this even mean? Anyone?

So the one person expresses their own emotion about who the other person is. The expression of emotion operates by free will, thus choosing, maybe choosing the conclusion the other person is loving in making the decisions the other person does.
And what does this mean? Again... anyone?

Atheists only accept the procedure of being forced by evidence to a conclusion, resulting in a fact, they don't do subjectivity.
Still not entirely getting this. Is this like a Google translate thing or something? Wait... this isn't one of those prank shows is it! Oh man... you got me guys!!!

Atheists don't express their emotions.
Even just browsing this forum you can see that this statement is ridiculously false. Kind of like your entire post.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
"An Unkillable Myth About Atheists"

And here I thought it was something about eating babies... :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's your /incorrect/ opinion.
Math is not an opinion or incorrect. If you assign such numerical values, and expect them to hold true as positive and negative integers, then they must be mathematically true. In your case, not only do you fail to define how you reached such numbers, an atheist times an atheist (-1 * -1) does not equal a theist (1).
It's not a myth, it's a fact. And I have already explained why in my thread entitled "Atheism is an absurd worldview." Hitherto, no atheist has been able to refute it.
You still haven't defined what your "good" is that we're allegedly all heading for, even though you've hinted that it has something to do with a hierarchy that concludes with god.

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

This is offensive.

I was an atheist for about 50 years. My life was not meaningless. I helped one hell of a lot of people in need and in trouble. Helping people does not exemplify a meaningless existence.

:mad::mad::mad:

Atheists are spreading a culture of rejection of subjectivity. It is what causes the current epidemic of depression and anxiety amongst youngsters. Atheists are the bad guys.

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

What does this even mean? Anyone?

It is quite obvious that you have no clue about how subjectivity works, and that you dismiss it. And then you will go on and on and on about the superiority of the scientific method and all that. That is how atheists are.

Atheism belongs together with materialism, physicalism, nazism, communism etc. because they are all manifestations of the commonly human head vs heart struggle. To compete fact against opinion, rather than to accept both fact and opinion valid in their own right. Each with their own method, their own domain.

RRex

Premium Member
Atheists are spreading a culture of rejection of subjectivity. It is what causes the current epidemic of depression and anxiety amongst youngsters. Atheists are the bad guys.
Yes, well, based on current events, we can say the same thing about Islam.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How long has it been since you began saying so? A year or more, I think.

It still does not make any sense.