1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured An Unkillable Myth About Atheists

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Sunstone, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,327
    None that you would be able to discuss or debate.
    I mean, you have set your parameters of your discussion and debating abilities and anything I would present would be beyond your admitted capabilities.

2. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,627
    Religion:
    ||
    Agnostic, is not literal. It's a position, just like theism. So is atheism, it's a position, a belief, in regards to Deity or Deities.

Aside from that, the OP does not specify which 'type' of atheism, //according to your definitions//; so, if you are correct, no one can even accurately answer the OP.

3. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,369
    Religion:
    None
    It is hard to teach people that when they have been indoctrinated from birth that this world is unimportant, that what really matters is the afterlife.
    I think your quote is essentially an antitheistic moral foundation, of which I heartily approve.
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  4. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,610
    Religion:
    Druidry
    In a few cases, I suppose it may be the case that it is a "willful misunderstanding." In many cases, I suspect it is not, considering how frequently people seem to conflate theism with religion, and theism with various other beliefs.

5. cambridge79

cambridge79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    atheist
    i don't think it's willful misunderstanding. Well, of course it is at higher level, talking about believers leaders. but talking about the followers, i assume many of them are so into the idea that the purpose of life is god-given that they can't grasp the concept they are free to chose what meaning to give to their lives.

6. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,705
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian
    Accepting death is a very religious act. It is not an atheistic one. Once you accept death only then can you truly consider theology on its own. Above all, there is nothing pointless or meaningless about mortal life. It is just, fair, adequate, and wonderful; but both theists and atheists struggle with accepting it. The atheists get blamed, but its not an atheist position.

Let me back that up. Theism does not --- *does not* --- imply immortality. It simply implies there is a divinity. It is only extra teachings that suggest immortality explains and solves the appearance of injustice in the world or that the world is meaningless if we die.

• Like Like x 1
  7. A Vestigial Mote

A Vestigial Mote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,485
    Religion:
    ?
    Is it "Assign-arbitrary-numerical-values-that-convey-positive-what-you-want-to-be-shown-positively-and-negative-what-you-want-to-be-shown-negatively" Day already? Boy, time flies. Well, here's my contribution to the day's festivities then:

Atheism=(infinity - how's that for positive?)
    Agnostic non-knowing without ''atheism''=e (Euler's number, mathematical constant)
    Theism= √-1 (square-root of negative one - the "imaginary" number!)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,327
    I believe it is in fact willful misunderstanding.
    I further submit that post # 9 in this very thread demonstrates it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. leibowde84

leibowde84 Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,454
    Religion:
    Agnostic Atheist
    That's why it's a myth. It is counter-intuitive to make blanket assumptions about atheists, as "atheism" is merely the lack of a specific belief.

10. RRex

RRex Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +377
    Religion:
    -
    As a former atheist I can definitively state that there was meaning in my life despite my disbelief.

You don't have to believe in a higher power in order to be compelled to be good or to assign value to things.

• Like Like x 4
  11. ThirtyThree

ThirtyThree Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Luciferian
    I do not do everything in hopes of a reward or due to fear of punishment.

12. columbus

Ratings:
    +12,369
    Religion:
    None
    Are you a nontheist? Or do you sorta forget about heaven and hell or reincarnation or whatever while you behave like a nontheist?
    Tom

13. ThirtyThree

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Luciferian
    I am a Theist.

I do not believe in reincarnation. However, I try not to think so much about what might happen after my physical death.

14. Altfish

Altfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,120
    Religion:
    Humanist
    I think that most atheists accept death as inevitable. They have come to terns with the FACT that we have only one life and we must make the most of it because there is no afterlife. So I don't know how you can assert that "Accepting death is a very religious act." Accepting death for me was not religious at all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. columbus

Ratings:
    +12,369
    Religion:
    None
    Do you believe in posthumous cosmic justice?
    I don't. That is why I want to do the best I can in this life that I know about. I see no reason to do anything because someone tells me God wants it.
    I want to live in the Paradise this world could be, if we humans stopped messing it up. So I try not to mess it up myself.
    Not that I am remarkable in accomplishing my goal/purpose. Better than some, worse than others.
    Tom

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora

Ratings:
    +28,371
    Religion:
    Erotic Dancing Girls
    I don't know in what sense you could possibly mean this. Would you elaborate, please

17. Erebus

Erebus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,451
    Religion:
    Pagan
    1. I suspect there are a couple of things at play here. Firstly, a lot of theists derive a sense of purpose and meaning from their gods. Given people's tendency to assume others think like they do, it's perhaps understandable why people would have a hard time separating atheism from nihilism.
    Secondly, a lot of people have a hard time accepting subjective meaning/purpose. People are prone to black and white thinking and this can translate into an attitude of "something is universally true or it's false." Now, that's not to say that atheists can't/don't believe in an objective meaning to life. In my experience though, most tend to believe in subjective meaning instead.

2. It can be, however I think this falls into the trap of assuming malice when ignorance will suffice. I strongly suspect that most people who make this mistake simply haven't examined this area all too closely. More than that, I feel that many people have no real desire to examine it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Deathbydefault

Deathbydefault Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Religion:
    Non/Apatheist
    Preaching and indoctrination into bigotry.

Yes, I would say so.
    Ignorance on this topic is one thing, and that's fine.
    Willful ignorance, however, is not.

There are so many resources to learn about this topic that there is no excuse to not know and accept that such a myth is false.
    I define willful ignorance as stupidity, btw. It is quite stupid of people to decide my worldview for me because i title myself as an atheist.

19. ThirtyThree

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Luciferian
    Yes, I believe I will be judged by a being exterior and separate of me after my physical body dies. The result of that judgement will be just to that being.

20. RRex

RRex Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +377
    Religion:
    -
    I disagree. I faced death four times as an atheist. There was nothing religious about it.

While these were profound experiences, nothing religious ever entered the picture.

• Like Like x 1