• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An RF Wikipedia page?

Laika

Premium Member
Hey,

Just wondering if we should start a wikipedia page for RF to help boost our online visibility and maybe get a few more members?

Its not unheard of for internet forums to get their own pages btw but I think wikipedia's rules need pages to be started by third parties or something:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_forums

I really don't have a clue how we'd go about it but I'm throwing the idea out there. :)

Does anyone here regularly edit wiki pages and know how to do it? And do you think it would it be worth it?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I tried to make a wiki page for our department at the university. Honestly, wikipedia is a huge hassle. We ended up scraping it because it was too much trouble.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I tried to make a wiki page for our department at the university. Honestly, wikipedia is a huge hassle. We ended up scraping it because it was too much trouble.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh!
Tell'm how easy it was.
He won't discover it's difficult until he finishes creating it.

Now....go delete your post.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Just hijack someone else's page and fill it with references to us.
That would be hysterical. Go under JFK's page...

"Ask not what your country could do for you,..."
-Reference to Wirey's post asking someone how they are doin.

Laika

Premium Member

Can you elaborate a bit? It would be really useful. I have wondered if I should start the page but I think it would only be a one-off thing. I'm not really editing wikipedia but I use it all the time.

Wirey

Fartist
Can you elaborate a bit? It would be really useful. I have wondered if I should start the page but I think it would only be a one-off thing. I'm not really editing wikipedia but I use it all the time.

If we do get a page I demand a call-out as the most electronically promiscuous member!

How you doin'?

Quetzal

Premium Member
Getting something approved for wiki is a lengthy process. The language/formatting they use to create the page itself is cumbersome and confusing (this is coming from a guy who self taught various programming languages). Then, once you get it made and deal with the admins to get it approved, you have to maintain it. Deal with folks waddling in and making changes, keeping it updated, etc. In the end, you would rather dedicate those resources to something else.

Laika

Premium Member
Getting something approved for wiki is a lengthy process. The language/formatting they use to create the page itself is cumbersome and confusing (this is coming from a guy who self taught various programming languages). Then, once you get it made and deal with the admins to get it approved, you have to maintain it. Deal with folks waddling in and making changes, keeping it updated, etc. In the end, you would rather dedicate those resources to something else.

Many thanks. :)

My only experience with wiki is using wikias from a while back for when I was using online games and could keep wikipages for role play stuff. Obviously the experience is quite different so you've saved me a lot of trouble. I did wonder why RF didnt already have a page on there so I guess this is why.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Many thanks. :)

My only experience with wiki is using wikias from a while back for when I was using online games and could keep wikipages for role play stuff. Obviously the experience is quite different so you've saved me a lot of trouble. I did wonder why RF didnt already have a page on there so I guess this is why.
Also have to think about how many users you would actually attract that way. I help with our social media outreach and that is a big question we are always asking ourselves: is the effort worth it for the proposed number of visitors we would attract? In wiki's case, not so much at this time. :)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hey,

Just wondering if we should start a wikipedia page for RF to help boost our online visibility and maybe get a few more members?

Its not unheard of for internet forums to get their own pages btw but I think wikipedia's rules need pages to be started by third parties or something:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_forums

I really don't have a clue how we'd go about it but I'm throwing the idea out there. :)

Does anyone here regularly edit wiki pages and know how to do it? And do you think it would it be worth it?
So, what would it say? "A semi-religious talk forum where the crazies and Lonesome Larrys exchange uninformed opinions and back slaps."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have some experience with Wikipedia (I quite like MediaWiki), but it would be unadvisable to create a new article without first establishing some form of notoriety.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I thought it was here on RF, but must have been on another forum.
The staff decided that a Wikipedia page was a bad idea. They thought that the effort involved wouldn't be a good investment. They thought they would mostly get unserious drive-by posters and spammers.
They felt they would do better putting the effort into more focused places and avoid the scattershot of Wikipedia.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, what would it say? "A semi-religious talk forum where the crazies and Lonesome Larrys exchange uninformed opinions and back slaps."

Fool!
It should say what's important......all the high frubal counts, the entertaining flame wars, and the political discourse which is mostly superior to what's seen in the media.