• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Opinion: Islam Is Not a Religion of Peace

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I didn't understand what you meant with your statement, would you please rephrase ?
people don't choose what to believe. freedom to follow God isn't the same as being able to choose to believe or disbelief. even if we had knowledge of God that doesn't say what actions we would do. free will is not applicable to belief.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Dozens of times in the Qur'an it says people who don't believe and worship Allah and Allah alone...will be tormented in the Hereafter.

What would happen to people in this earthly life itself, who didn't do their prayers...according to Muslim sources?

I'm not a judge nor any person can claim that he knows what's God's decision would be.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I'm not a judge nor any person can claim that he knows what's God's decision would be.

Muslims who repeatedly did not go to prayers despite being able, what would be the course of action?

To believe and worship (both) Allah and Allah alone...i.e. actually follow the tenets and requirements is known.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
people don't choose what to believe. freedom to follow God isn't the same as being able to choose to believe or disbelief. even if we had knowledge of God that doesn't say what actions we would do. free will is not applicable to belief.

If you follow God it means you believe and if you don't follow God then it means you disbelieve, no difference

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Hi FearGod,

Thanks for the link! (I didn't read all 200 verses in the link, but I read some of them.)

There is an interesting distinction here - I would say that many of the verses in this link fall into the category:

"Be nice to your fellow Muslims, be charitable, and so on". These are positive messages to be sure.

But this is different than being peaceful with non-believers. I'm sure that some verses talk about peace with non-believers, but the number would be much smaller, correct?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, in this case you chose to believe in God and to disobey him and to be a Satanic.
My point is it's your free will.

No, you said "If you follow God that means you believe", and "If you don't follow God then you don't believe", but whatever.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No, you said "If you follow God that means you believe", and "If you don't follow God then you don't believe", but whatever.

Yes if you follow God which means you obey him then you're doing it because you believe in him otherwise why to follow him.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes if you follow God which means you obey him then you're doing it because you believe in him otherwise why to follow him.

Of course you need to believe in order to follow, but even if you do believe in God it doesn't necessarily follow that you will follow His religion.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I made a post in the other thread and I'll use some of it here. I will be content with saying that Islam can ( I won't say is) be a religion of peace, otherwise it wouldn't have verses like these in its holly book:

Quran 16:125
Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best. Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided.

Quran 4:105
Indeed, We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth so you may judge between the people by that which God has shown you. And do not be an enemy to your opponents.

Quran 29:46
And do not argue with the People of the Scripture except in a way that is best, except for those who commit injustice among them, and say, "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you. And our God and your God is one; and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him."

Quran 60:8
God does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, God loves those who act justly.

Quran 2:188
And do not consume one another's wealth unjustly or send it [in bribery] to those in charge in order that they might aid you to consume a portion of the wealth of the people in sin, while you know [it is unlawful].

I don't memorize Quran much and those verses are from my memory only. I only found the verses' numbers and translations online.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Of course you need to believe in order to follow, but even if you do believe in God it doesn't necessarily follow that you will follow His religion.

Yes thats why i said we're free to worship him or not, but i think believing in God while refusing to follow him
is kind of dumbness.

icehorse

Premium Member
In truth though, many Christian denominations preach 'fire and brimstone' type sermons on Sundays, complete with messages that seem to point to passages in the Bible that suggest Christians should shun homosexuals, and not mingle with people who are 'unequally yoked.' Jesus talked about Hell, and He described the path to Heaven as 'straight and narrow.' Sounds like He felt it would be tough for many to make it to Heaven.

I studied Islam for a short time as some here know, and not only studied it, but prayed the prayers, and fell in love with the mystical side of Islam (Sufism) In my readings of the Qur'an, it seemed to me that Muhammad spoke to people as he was experiencing his time period. I happen to think similar things of the Bible. Should I be wearing a head covering when praying, as Paul suggested in the Bible? Should I abstain from pork, and not be out alone without a man ''chaperoning'' me? There are SO many passages in the Bible that I think serve as historical backdrops, and they shouldn't be ignored, but they shouldn't be idolized and followed. PLUS...if you live in a culture that is governed by secular law, like the US...that law trumps all religions. The reason I didn't pursue Islam is for two reasons: 1) During that time, I wasn't interested in Christianity, but didn't believe the Islam view of Jesus. 2) Sharia Law

Other than that, I liked a lot about the religion.

Wait, what?

How can you like Islam except for Sharia?

Deidre

Wait, what?

How can you like Islam except for Sharia?

Well, all I can say is I experienced Islam in the prayer life, etc for a short duration ...I didn't just 'study' Islam. Sharia Law doesn't really touch my life, as I live in the US, and so it would have been easier for me to choose Islam, than not, to be honest. (from a cultural perspective)

icehorse

Premium Member
Well, all I can say is I experienced Islam in the prayer life, etc for a short duration ...I didn't just 'study' Islam. Sharia Law doesn't really touch my life, as I live in the US, and so it would have been easier for me to choose Islam, than not, to be honest. (from a cultural perspective)

Then wouldn't it be far more accurate to say something like: "there are a few isolated facets of Islam I like" ?

What you're saying is like saying you like hamburgers except for the meat.