• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An interfaith marriage and a rocky road

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Peace and blessings to all. I'm confronted with a life altering dilemma. I'm a Christian who is married to a Muslim and we have our differences when it comes to religion and religious traditions but overall we are respectful and tolerant towards each other. However, in the past five or so years we've been experiencing many misfortunes and great tribulation so I find myself asking if it's because God is unhappy with our union. Our marriage almost ended because of these great trails but at the moment or relationship and marriage has grown stronger because we endured. Also, I'm a firm believer of saving marriages.
Even though we love each other very much and have a strong relationship, everything else around us is falling apart; to the point were I've even lost love ones. I can't help but to think of the story of Samson...(Start @ Judges 14)
What do you guys think?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Life happens, that is all and it is not always wine and roses.

I'm married to a woman who is closer to Buddhism than Christianity. I was raised a Presbyterian her parents were Buddhists. Since our marriage a lot of things have fallen apart and a lot of things have come together. Loved ones have passed away and others were born.... that's life....no external supernatural being necessary

Laika

Premium Member
My apologies for commenting in the Christian sub forum, but for what it is worth, I don't think god would be unhappy with your decision to overcome religious differences with your wife, but I think he would be proud of two people finding faith in each others common humanity and to see beyond appearances. I hope whatever happens that you will be happy and loved.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Peace and blessings to all. I'm confronted with a life altering dilemma. I'm a Christian who is married to a Muslim and we have our differences when it comes to religion and religious traditions but overall we are respectful and tolerant towards each other. However, in the past five or so years we've been experiencing many misfortunes and great tribulation so I find myself asking if it's because God is unhappy with our union. Our marriage almost ended because of these great trails but at the moment or relationship and marriage has grown stronger because we endured. Also, I'm a firm believer of saving marriages.
Even though we love each other very much and have a strong relationship, everything else around us is falling apart; to the point were I've even lost love ones. I can't help but to think of the story of Samson...(Start @ Judges 14)
What do you guys think?

mixed marriages often lead to one partner leaving their faith. If you moved over to his side, your troubles would end.
If he moved over to your side, your troubles would end.
If you both stay where you are, your troubles continue.

This why the Isrealites were warned not to marry the daughters of the foreign religions. God told them that they would be induced to move over to the other religion and that is what happened time and time again. And Christians were also told not to marry non-believers or those of different faiths because it will cause friction and difficulties in the marriage.

But we often follow our heart and then we have to find ways to cope. Gods word offers advice to those who do find themselves in such a situation. The best solution is to follow the bible counsel on how to treat our marriage mate in a loving and respectful way and be reasonable and willing to compromise where the compromise doesnt break Gods law.

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Life happens, that is all and it is not always wine and roses.

I'm married to a woman who is closer to Buddhism than Christianity. I was raised a Presbyterian her parents were Buddhists. Since our marriage a lot of things have fallen apart and a lot of things have come together. Loved ones have passed away and others were born.... that's life....no external supernatural being necessary
Thanx for your reply but the bible does warn us about marrying unbelievers for a reason...don't you think?

Wu Wei

Thanx for your reply but the bible does warn us about marrying unbelievers for a reason...don't you think?

Yup the bible says it for a reason, but I doubt it is for the reasons many think, it has been rewritten and reorganized by man more than once.

And if that is what you believe then you already answered your own question, although I don't believe I agree with the conclusion

roger1440

I do stuff
What do you guys think?
How did Samson lose his strength and gain it back?

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
mixed marriages often lead to one partner leaving their faith. If you moved over to his side, your troubles would end.
If he moved over to your side, your troubles would end.
If you both stay where you are, your troubles continue.

This why the Isrealites were warned not to marry the daughters of the foreign religions. God told them that they would be induced to move over to the other religion and that is what happened time and time again. And Christians were also told not to marry non-believers or those of different faiths because it will cause friction and difficulties in the marriage.

But we often follow our heart and then we have to find ways to cope. Gods word offers advice to those who do find themselves in such a situation. The best solution is to follow the bible counsel on how to treat our marriage mate in a loving and respectful way and be reasonable and willing to compromise where the compromise doesnt break Gods law.
Thanx for the advice...and I agree with most of what you said. I understand that the differences in our religions would cause us to have problems within our relationship itself but in my particular situation, that's not the case. My husband and I have a great relationship. We respect each other's way of life and agree alot more than what we disagree with. Whatever we don't agree with is left at that...we agree to disagree. The problems we have are external and have nothing to do with our relationship.
Also, I would never even attempt to try to convert my husband...the same way I wouldn't want him to try to convert me cause we'd both consider that to be disrespectful and I personally believe that I would lose my salvation if I were to convert to another religion.
Anyway, I've already found comfort going back into the bible looking for answers. This is what I found..
Mark 10:9
Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

And....

1 Corinthians 7:12–14
To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13 If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

And..

1 Peter 3:1
Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives,

Anyways, thanx for all the advice guys:D

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Yup the bible says it for a reason, but I doubt it is for the reasons many think, it has been rewritten and reorganized by man more than once.

And if that is what you believe then you already answered your own question, although I don't believe I agree with the conclusion
I respect your opinion and yes you could be right about the translators and interpreters of the bible interpreting the bible according to their perceptions...which was why I asked the question in the first place cause I wasn't sure if the bible said what it said about being "unequally yoked" just cause God knew it would cause heart ache or was it also cause God would punish us and cause us to lose salvation...
But I realized an interfaith marriage can cause heart ache and can cause a believer to abandon Christianity.

Even tho I believe the bible is God's perfect word and law recorded by imperfect men, I also believe that truth stands out and stands strong no matter what and the core message of the bible can be realized through life experience....life is a learning experience and I believe that's why we're here...So we realize God's truths.
Mankind's sinful nature calls for us to question everything and experience things for ourselves but God wants us to obey him willingly and the only way for us to do that (most of the time) is for us to "learn the hard way" sort of speak.

My dilemma was that I believe God has control over everything and I wasn't sure if bad things were happening because he's allowing it to happen or causing it to happen because of my marriage to an unbeliever (which I still kinda question) or if it's just a coincidence and I'm just going through a rough spot.
Buuut...I also know and read in the bible that God doesn't cause misfortune and isn't evil. Also, God feels our pain according to the bible. Satan and sin causes misfortune and pain.

Anyway...as I mentioned before, I'm content with the answers I found in the bible and I will take heed to those words and try my best to remain strong spiritually (the story of Job inspires and helps out alot);)

Wu Wei

My first wife was Catholic, I am technically a Presbyterian...... that marriage was not at all good.....
Fiancée between wives was a Catholic and I went to Catholic church with her on multiple occasions, it was a good relationship, but ultimately had major issues unrelated to faith
My second wife is technically nothing, but she is much more familiar with Buddhism than Christianity.... this is a much better marriage.

People make marriages... that is all

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
But I realized an interfaith marriage can cause heart ache and can cause a believer to abandon Christianity.

I must ask you all for forgiveness for posting here in a DIR not my own, but don't you think that marriage is ultimately inherently capable of causing heartache simply because it is such a meaningful, intimate relationship?

Religious differences are just one of so many ways that can happen, and they tend to be more of a result than a cause of other differences, IMO.

If I may be so bold as to be that assertive about a situation I don't personally know in a DIR that I do not belong to, I advise you to focus on reaching the best possible mutual understanding with your spouse and work from there. Or, if it comes to that, realize and accept that when the tire meets the tarmac one or both of you just don't want to.

Either way, I just flat out don't believe you can find much of a solution on focusing on nominal religious differences. Beliefs are a very complex and personal issue, even within any specific denomination. Besides, respectful disagreement within a marriage is not a bad thing either.

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Thanx
I must ask you all for forgiveness for posting here in a DIR not my own, but don't you think that marriage is ultimately inherently capable of causing heartache simply because it is such a meaningful, intimate relationship?

Religious differences are just one of so many ways that can happen, and they tend to be more of a result than a cause of other differences, IMO.

If I may be so bold as to be that assertive about a situation I don't personally know in a DIR that I do not belong to, I advise you to focus on reaching the best possible mutual understanding with your spouse and work from there. Or, if it comes to that, realize and accept that when the tire meets the tarmac one or both of you just don't want to.

Either way, I just flat out don't believe you can find much of a solution on focusing on nominal religious differences. Beliefs are a very complex and personal issue, even within any specific denomination. Besides, respectful disagreement within a marriage is not a bad thing either.
Thanx for the words of wisdom and advice....I highly appreciate it:)