• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Interesting Case Showing How Easily One Can Be Falsely Convicted Of A Crime

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The economy is good for people owning loads of stocks - for everyone else, the economy sucks.
I don't do stocks. But here.....
Business is good for self storage & construction lending (what I do).
It's even better for building contractors & workers.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, synthetic videos can be made of you doing anything, anywhere. And... it is now possible to convert text to precisely your voice and add it to the video of you planting a bomb in Grand Central Station.

I remember going to see a Schwarzenegger movie (think it was The Running Man) back in the early 90s with a friend of mine who was involved in software development, and when they showed one of the early scenes where the bad guys completely fabricate a video of Arnold's character committing a war crime, my friend said something like, "Yup, we're not far from that".

The economy is good for people owning loads of stocks - for everyone else, the economy sucks.

Well, we crypto-fiends are doing pretty darn good too.

Reminds me, haven't checked my portfolio in a cpl of hours . . .

WAIT, WHAT???!?!?

um, never mind.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
ike, "Yup, we're not far from that".

We are fully there now. I meant to post a vid I watched about the new developments with text to visuals plus speech, but have temporarily lost it. I’ll see if I can find it.

There is a legal requirement for a digital watermark indicating it is synthetic.
I’m sure everyone will respect that :rolleyes:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
We are fully there now. I meant to post a vid I watched about the new developments with text to visuals plus speech, but have temporarily lost it. I’ll see if I can find it.

There is a legal requirement for a digital watermark indicating it is synthetic.
I’m sure everyone will respect that :rolleyes:

Someone posted a thread about the software ("face-something"?)in here somewhere a few weeks ago, along with some examples. My reaction: "Crazy, creepy, and cool!".

Kind of how I feel about the era we're in overall.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Someone posted a thread about the software ("face-something"?)in here somewhere a few weeks ago, along with some examples. My reaction: "Crazy, creepy, and cool!".

Kind of how I feel about the era we're in overall.

I think we will soon see a whole new class of mental illness, because of the impossibility of knowing whether or not what we are seeing is real.

It has been established that the gaslighting in narcissistic partner abuse causes pathological changes to brain tissue.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we will soon see a whole new class of mental illness, because of the impossibility of knowing whether or not what we are seeing is real.

Or it'll help us all become a bit more open-minded by helping us realize we never could.

It has been established that the gaslighting in narcissistic partner abuse causes pathological changes to brain tissue.

Not a bit surprised.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Or it'll help us all become a bit more open-minded by helping us realize we never could.

Now that is optimism !

I met an amazing scientist-musician-philosopher, Dr Manfred Clynes, in the early 90s.
He’s the man who coined the term cyborg. He gave me a collection of his monographs, including one which was a warning about this very thing.

One of his (many) areas of study was what he called sentic forms.
It is too much to define properly in a post, (I should make a thread about it) but the implications were that synthetic entities can be programmed to express what appear to be authentic human emotions.

He was concerned that when this found its way into the mainstream, humans would no longer be able to trust primordial instincts which allow us to interpret the emotional component of communication, and that this would lead to a kind of derangement.

Thirty years later....

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Eye witness testimony is so often bunk.
They saw him do it.
Only one big problem...
He didn't do it.
Eye witness testimony can even shatter legitimate alibis.

We have a witness that claims she saw you on the street outside the victims apartment, even if you have friends that claim you were out of town that weekend. It doesn't have to be a good witness, just one that can throw doubt on a suspects claims.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Our penal trials do not have juries...but the Court of Assizes has 2 judges and 6 lay people.