• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

an intelligent but uninformed layperson?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: Do you feel able to explain your religion to an intelligent but uninformed layperson?

I think I could mine

But I know that in the past I'd have had a harder time trying to do so

The command I have of my current beliefs is much stronger than the command I had of my previous beliefs

Partly because my current beliefs are much more simple

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
The problem is probably not explaining your faith, but giving convincing arguments for why your faith is true. Once you have resolved this, appealing to emotions is probably a useful strategy to convince others.

Didn't you say in another thread that you didn't want any followers (a one-man cult?) :shrug:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The problem is probably not explaining your faith, but giving convincing arguments for why your faith is true. Once you have resolved this, appealing to emotions is probably a useful strategy to convince others.

Didn't you say in another thread that you didn't want any followers (a one-man cult?) :shrug:
That's right, I don't want followers

But I do want to be understood

I don't think that sharing one's beliefs is the same as looking for followers

And I'm always interested in learning about the beliefs of others

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Question: Do you feel able to explain your religion to an intelligent but uninformed layperson?

I think I could mine

The command I have of my current beliefs is much stronger than the command I had of my previous beliefs

Others are supposed to understand me when i speak about my belief :confused: ohhh boy :oops:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

That's an interesting point. I think in that order to be understood you have to motivate the other to put themselves in your place. I think for this, some kind of basic argumentation is needed.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
That's an interesting point. I think in that order to be understood you have to motivate the other to put themselves in your place. I think for this, some kind of basic argumentation is needed.
I think that the best conversations about beliefs are ones that are two-way exchanges, rather than one-sided lectures

That's why I'd never let door-to-door proselytisers into my home

Because they are only interested in pushing their beliefs, they are not interested in having an exchange - or even a conversation

If any ever come knocking I've planned to pre-empt them and take the initiative, by trying to convince them of my position - to give them a taste of their own medicine

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

If you can't do that then I think you need to re-examine your religious thinking.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think I could mine

A machine with less moving parts is the least likely to break down.

I like simplicity.

PureX

Veteran Member
That's right, I don't want followers

But I do want to be understood

And I'm always interested in learning about the beliefs of others
I'm always much more interested in WHY people believe what they do about 'God', rather than the what. And I find that it's nearly impossible to get anyone to explain that ... because almost no one I meet actually knows why they've chosen to believe as they do.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm always much more interested in WHY people believe what they do about 'God', rather than the what. And I find that it's nearly impossible to get anyone to explain that ... because almost no one I meet actually knows why they've chosen to believe as they do.

In what sense?

I know there aren't many who say why. By things like he saved my marriage and of course that scripture tells them they are saved.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

I think I could mine

No, I think it would be like trying to explain cricket to an American. :D

lovesong

:D
Premium Member

I think I could mine

I love casual interfaith work and dialogue. Explaining my faith to uninformed laypeople and answering their questions/clearing up their misconceptions is literally one of my favorite things to do! :D My faith doesn't proselytize, but I believe that teaching others about it and other minority faiths is the best thing we can do to spread acceptance and make the world a little bit better for us.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I love casual interfaith work and dialogue. Explaining my faith to uninformed laypeople and answering their questions/clearing up their misconceptions is literally one of my favorite things to do! :D My faith doesn't proselytize, but I believe that teaching others about it and other minority faiths is the best thing we can do to spread acceptance and make the world a little bit better for us.
Good for you.

P.S What's the aubergine thingie in your footer?

PureX

Veteran Member
In what sense?

I know there aren't who say why by things like he saved my marriage and of course that scripture tells them they are saved.
I think many people need to believe what they believe for deep emotional and psychological reasons that they are completely unaware of. I also think a lot of people simply believe whatever they were taught to believe and never bothered to question it because they were also taught not to question what they were being taught. And in both cases they aren't now going to be able to explain to anyone why they believe as they do.

firedragon

Veteran Member

I think I could mine

As long as that uninformed person thinks to himself he is uninformed rather than pretend.