• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An indoor horgr idea

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I am thinking of filling a small container with soil from my property, adding a few small stones in a pile and bringing it indoors to use when I pour a libation... opening a beer, a horn of mead, etc. I would pour it into a bowl on the altar as usual and leave it for a bit, but instead of going outdoors, I'd bring the outdoors in to pour it out.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am thinking of filling a small container with soil from my property, adding a few small stones in a pile and bringing it indoors to use when I pour a libation... opening a beer, a horn of mead, etc. I would pour it into a bowl on the altar as usual and leave it for a bit, but instead of going outdoors, I'd bring the outdoors in to pour it out.
Go for it!

GoodbyeDave

But you'd still have to empty it eventually. And a pot of soil might contain things with too many legs that would creep out into the room -- eek!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
:D You are right. I do intend to recycle it periodically. I think the alcohol I pour into it might take care of any tiny critters.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Man horgr's are cool... That's awesome you want to set one up, a construction company destroyed one a few years back in Norway, my god people were enraged.. I would do the whole shebang and carve out some pine logs of Odin, Thor and Loki and dig a cave in my back yard if I could! lol

That's where I'd find myself at 3am after a roaring drink.

Libation's not necessary, man...

I came across all sorts of ideas concerning rituals, implements, and so one that were either impressive (in the beginning anyway) and massive (eg. altar settings), to things such as leaving plates or bowls of milk for the little creatures they called 'wights'..or something like that. A Norse-Wicca book (whose author I no longer remember) even suggested that dwarves liked spicy food. Very complicated, these lines of thoughts were...

Mine was simple back then: I'd raise a goblet to Thor(the god I most identified with) once or twice, and pour a third on the grassy ground outside for mother Jord. Although...
- soy milk
- dairy milk
- fruit juice
- soft drinks/soda
...were just as acceptable as far as I was concerned, my beverage of choice was below....

Amarula_(1563541954).jpg

Someone once suggested laying an apple or newly-opened bottle of beer under a tree for the god of your choice, and I thought, what a hell of a damn good idea!