• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Honest Science Question

Skwim

Veteran Member
A cup of water is 7.6 percent heavier than a cup of cooking oil, which is why cooking oil floats on water, as in beaker illustration 1. But what happens to that cup of water on the bottom of the beaker when the weight of oil above it is increased by 4?

Which of the beakers best represents the result?

oil and water mix.png

Why?

Ebionite

2 because that represents the arrangement with the lowest gravitational potential energy.

Bob the Unbeliever

A cup of water is 7.6 percent heavier than a cup of cooking oil, which is why cooking oil floats on water, as in beaker illustration 1. But what happens to that cup of water on the bottom of the beaker when the weight of oil above it is increased by 4?

Why?

2. Because liquids are not solids. :)

danieldemol

Premium Member

Why?

2 because their respective densities do not change by adding more oil, so the most dense material will still gravitate towards the bottom

exchemist

Veteran Member
As others have pointed out, explicitly or implicitly, the key to thinking about this is to think not in terms of "weight" but in terms of density. Oil floats on water not because water is "heavier" but because it is denser, i.e. the mass (and thus weight) per unit volume of water is greater than that of oil. As @Theo102 says, the gravitational potential will be a minimum when all the denser material is at the lowest point it can reach.

So it is diagram 2 - which resembles the situation familiar to me from my oil industry days, in which there is an oil tank with some water in it from condensation in it.;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Why?

Your language is a bit ambiguous. When you say "the weight of oil above it is increased by 4," do you mean:

- you just added another 3 units of oil to the beaker, or
- the oil is magically changed so that its specific weight (i.e. density) is 4 times what it was before?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Number four since somebody has to be wrong here.
You're correct because the additional oil was rapidly poured in,
which caused turbulence & mixing. Because there were no
emulsifiers, the oil & water remained separated as shown.
Eventually though, it will look like #2.

Note: Some additional assumptions were made.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You're correct because the additional oil was rapidly poured in,
which caused turbulence & mixing. Because there were no
emulsifiers, the oil & water remained separated as shown.
Eventually though, it will look like #2.

Note: Some additional assumptions were made.
I simply prefer being wrong for once. Taking one for the team!

Skwim

Veteran Member
Your language is a bit ambiguous. When you say "the weight of oil above it is increased by 4," do you mean:

- you just added another 3 units of oil to the beaker, or
- the oil is magically changed so that its specific weight (i.e. density) is 4 times what it was before?
Clue: what do the illustrations show?