• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Extremely Simple Formula Which Will Ensure Extreme Financial Success

FFH

Veteran Member
One day everyone will realize that money isn't "real". No reason to kill others for some damn paper. It has no real value
You've got to deal with the way things are set up in this world.

Learn how to use money to your advantage.

Give 10 percent to God and throw in an offering, I chose 1 percent of my gross, which is definitely working for me now. I have absolutely no lack. I will be working a minimum of 70 hours this week. God is faithful to give us what we need.

If you think that's too many hours, your right, there's "not room enough" for me "to receive it". I need to hire someone to help me, and am in a position to do so or not. It's my choice how many hours I work now, not someone elses.

Luke 16: 9, 11
9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon (money) of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
• • •
11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon (money), who will commit to your trust the true riches?

Doctrine and Covenants 82: 22 (LDS scripture)
And now, verily I say unto you, and this is wisdom, make unto yourselves friends with the mammon (money) of unrighteousness, and they will not destroy you.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
:confused:
So... you reject one version of the Bible because you claim it's been "altered" (BTW - which versions do you find acceptable?), but accept another that even has the name of the person who altered it in the version title?

Altering the content of the Bible and changing words to make it more "reader friendly" does nto mean they put it in it's proper context, especially when you start doing that you start to see more contradictions within the bible itself.

I only accept the King James version of the Bible, and the Joseph Smith inspired version.

Hang on... let's look at the whole exchange (and this time the Joseph Smith Inspired Version alone, just to keep you happy) - Matt 4:6-7:

How does "tempt" even make sense in this situation? How would Jesus risking his life "tempt" God? To me, the implication would be that if Jesus were to throw himself from a height, that God would be tempted to dash Him on the ground below - this seems rather nasty.

Prove, is not the same as Tempt. Tempting is a Sin, Proving is different because the blessings ahve already been promised.

Satan did not tempt him with something that had been promised, he tried to tempt him with something that was not promised anwyhere.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Prove, is not the same as Tempt. Tempting is a Sin, Proving is different because the blessings ahve already been promised.
I'm not sure what you mean by "prove". I never used the word in my post.

Satan did not tempt him with something that had been promised, he tried to tempt him with something that was not promised anwyhere.
I'm having trouble trying to figure out what you're getting at... are you implying that during this exchange between Jesus and Satan, Jesus was referring to himself as "the Lord thy God"? I was under the impression that Mormons weren't Trinitarian, and that they didn't believe Jesus to be God.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Did anyone else pick up on the thread title?

And extremely simple formula which will INSUREextreme financial success

What exactly is there to insure against?

I understand you probably mean ensure, but I think it's funny how words can come out sometimes in ways that we don't mean...

Sonic247

I'm not sure if tithing is a requirement since we don't have a temple in the traditional sense (a building that is) but I think any investment in the Lord's work is a good thing.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I'm not sure what you mean by "prove". I never used the word in my post.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out what you're getting at... are you implying that during this exchange between Jesus and Satan, Jesus was referring to himself as "the Lord thy God"? I was under the impression that Mormons weren't Trinitarian, and that they didn't believe Jesus to be God.

I was referring to the post that FFH made about "Prove me herewith" which you were relating to tempt. they are two different things.

Satan told him that God would send his angels to catch him (simplified). Jesus was talkign about the Father. not himself.

FFH

Veteran Member
Did anyone else pick up on the thread title?

And extremely simple formula which will INSUREextreme financial success

What exactly is there to insure against?

I understand you probably mean ensure, but I think it's funny how words can come out sometimes in ways that we don't mean...
Ah, sorry, ENSURE, will get that fixed.

Well it may have proven to be correct after all though.

Was just thinking about this...

Titing is FIRE INSURANCE. :eek:

LDS members refer to tithing as fire insurance because of the following LDS scriptures.

Doctrine and Covenants 64: 23 (LDS scripture)
Behold, now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming.

Doctrine and Covenants 85: 3
It is contrary to the will and commandment of God that those who receive not their inheritance by consecration, agreeable to his law, which he has given, that he may tithe his people, to prepare them against the day of vengeance and burning, should have their names enrolled with the people of God.

No other way to avoid the vengeance and burning which will surely come.

Better to pay than to burn.

This parable applies, read it in it's entirety.

Matthew 25: 26
His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

FFH

Veteran Member
So... you reject one version of the Bible because you claim it's been "altered" (BTW - which versions do you find acceptable?), but accept another that even has the name of the person who altered it in the version title?
Inspired not altered

See this thread: Greek New Testament Inspired ???

Penguin said:
Hang on... let's look at the whole exchange (and this time the Joseph Smith Inspired Version alone, just to keep you happy) - Matt 4:6-7:
Matthew 4
6 Then the devil came unto him and said, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down, for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee, and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
How does "tempt" even make sense in this situation? How would Jesus risking his life "tempt" God? To me, the implication would be that if Jesus were to throw himself from a height, that God would be tempted to dash Him on the ground below - this seems rather nastyThrowing oneself off a building is one thing, paying tithes and offerings is another.

One action is obviously constructive, the other obviously destructive. No need to test God in this way. Test God by paying tithes and offerings, not by jumping off a building.

Penguin said:
Jesus was referring to himself as "the Lord thy God"? I was under the impression that Mormons weren't Trinitarian, and that they didn't believe Jesus to be God.
LDS members believe Jesus is God the Son as opposed to God the Father. We worship both equally, but pray only to God the Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, who is God the Son and receive our answers to pray via the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hmmm.....allthough not recommended, my formula is even easier.
Spend every last dollar you earn on lottery tickets. Eventually, you are likely to hit the jackpot.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was referring to the post that FFH made about "Prove me herewith" which you were relating to tempt. they are two different things.
No, I related demanding money from God to "putting Him to the test." FFH pointed out that Mormons believe the passage is more appropriately rendered as "tempting God" rather than "testing God". I asked how the situation described could be considered "tempting" God... which I never really got a clear answer to: what would be "tempting" to God about Jesus throwing himself from a height to certain death (unless he were rescued by God, of course)? Where's the temptation?

Satan told him that God would send his angels to catch him (simplified). Jesus was talkign about the Father. not himself.

Okay, so my question still stands; what could be considered tempting about Jesus risking His life and the Father being put in a position to save him? The only possible temptation I could in any way see in that situation would be a temptation on the part of God to not save Jesus and just let Him fall and die... if this prospect would actually constitute a "temptation" for God, then it would create problems for the idea of a good God that's implied by other parts of the Bible, IMO.

Inspired not altered

See this thread: Greek New Testament Inspired ???
Being inspired to alter something still implies an alteration. You may claim that Smith was correct to alter the Bible, and that He was inspired by God to do so, but if he sat down and, through some process, went through the Bible and said "this part's right... this part's right... that part's wrong, and here's the correction", etc., that is alteration. Call it right, proper and God-inspired alteration if you want, but it's still alteration.

One action is obviously constructive, the other obviously destructive. No need to test God in this way. Test God by paying tithes and offerings, not by jumping off a building.
So we're back to "testing". How is testing God by demanding that He make you rich any more constructive than demanding that He save you from a being killed by a fall?

LDS members believe Jesus is God the Son as opposed to God the Father. We worship both equally, but pray only to God the Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, who is God the son and receive our answers to pray via the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit.
Thanks.

Just so we're clear, though: nobody here is claiming that Jesus is referring to Himself as "the Lord thy God" in Matthew 4:7, right?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Suppose you recieve food stamps, should you tithe 10% of them?

no, My mother was on disability for years because she got into a bad car accident and couldn;t walk. so the bishop told her not to tithe, because finances were extremely tight and we already required assistance from the ward we were in to have food.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
No, I related demanding money from God to "putting Him to the test." FFH pointed out that Mormons believe the passage is more appropriately rendered as "tempting God" rather than "testing God". I asked how the situation described could be considered "tempting" God... which I never really got a clear answer to: what would be "tempting" to God about Jesus throwing himself from a height to certain death (unless he were rescued by God, of course)? Where's the temptation?

Okay, so my question still stands; what could be considered tempting about Jesus risking His life and the Father being put in a position to save him? The only possible temptation I could in any way see in that situation would be a temptation on the part of God to not save Jesus and just let Him fall and die... if this prospect would actually constitute a "temptation" for God, then it would create problems for the idea of a good God that's implied by other parts of the Bible, IMO.
If Jesus Christ had died before the atonement in Gethsemene, surely the world would have been wasted completely. God's children would have no chance to make it back to him had Christ not fulfilled his mission of course it is tempting God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If Jesus Christ had died before the atonement in Gethsemene, surely the world would have been wasted completely. God's children would have no chance to make it back to him had Christ not fulfilled his mission of course it is tempting God.
How so?

FFH

Veteran Member
Being inspired to alter something still implies an alteration. You may claim that Smith was correct to alter the Bible, and that He was inspired by God to do so, but if he sat down and, through some process, went through the Bible and said "this part's right... this part's right... that part's wrong, and here's the correction", etc., that is alteration. Call it right, proper and God-inspired alteration if you want, but it's still alteration.
He didn't alter the original, since it no longer exists, he rather, restored the original. The King James is better than 90 percent intact, all he did was restore it to it's perfect form.

Again see this link: Joseph Smith Inspired/Restored Version of the Bible

Someone in another thread a while back said it would be more accurate to use this term also.

So we're back to "testing". How is testing God by demanding that He make you rich any more constructive than demanding that He save you from a being killed by a fall?
Throwing one's self off a building is suicide, paying your tithes and offerings is a commandment given to us by God.

God never told anyone to test his faithfulness by throwing ourselves off a building, that was made up by Satan to tempt men into doing something stupid. Jesus didn't fall for it, pardon the pun.

God won't save anyone who intentionally jumps off a building. God never said to test him in that manner. The devil tempt men to test God in stupid ways like this and the end result will be the same in every instance, that being death.

Just so we're clear, though: nobody here is claiming that Jesus is referring to Himself as "the Lord thy God" in Matthew 4:7, right?
Right.

Matthew 4:10
Then said Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan; for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Then the devil leaveth him.

Luke 4:8
Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan; for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Hmmm.....allthough not recommended, my formula is even easier.
Spend every last dollar you earn on lottery tickets. Eventually, you are likely to hit the jackpot.

Hey, once the jackpot breaks $275 million, buy as many as you want.

And I think donating 10% of my revenue into a compound interest account will make me richer than offering it to a church

FFH

Veteran Member
Hey, once the jackpot breaks $275 million, buy as many as you want.

And I think donating 10% of my revenue into a compound interest account will make me richer than offering it to a church
You would think, but interest rates hardly keep up with inflation rates.

Better to give it to God.

Matthew 6: 20
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Helaman 8: 25 (Book of Mormon)
But behold, ye have rejected the truth, and rebelled against your holy God; and even at this time, instead of laying up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where nothing doth corrupt, and where nothing can come which is unclean, ye are heaping up for yourselves wrath against the day of judgement.

3 Nephi 13: 20 (Book of Mormon)
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.

D&C 6: 27 (LDS scripture)
And now I command you, that if you have good desires—a desire to lay up treasures for yourself in heaven—then shall you assist in bringing to light, with your gift, those parts of my scriptures which have been hidden because of iniquity.