• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Eruv near where I live - thoughts please.

A Vestigial Mote

Just calling it a Loop Hole imports all the judgment. If, instead, you recognize that it isn't a loop hole, but just a subtlety of the law, then it stops being subject to your disdain. I could say that certain drugs are illegal. But if a doctor prescribes them, they become legal. Prescriptions aren't a loop hole around a blanket illegality, but another aspect of the law which creates a category which simply isn't illegal.
I will simply reserve the right to maintain my disdain - or at least not resist the incredible impulse to let my eyes roll.

Altfish

Veteran Member
How do you spell this area? I thought it was Eruv but Tumah uses Eiruv.

Also, what is the plural? Eruvs, Eruvian ??

rosends

How do you spell this area? I thought it was Eruv but Tumah uses Eiruv.

Also, what is the plural? Eruvs, Eruvian ??
The vowel in Hebrew under the initial letter is 2 dots next to each other, called a tseyreh. http://www.torahtots.com/alefbet/nekudot/nekudot.htm
In transliteration, in order to distinguish it from an EH sound, some people add in the I after the E.

The plural often cited is eiruvin but I'm not sure if that is a proper Hebrew plural or if that is just the Aramaic plural of eiruva

Altfish

Veteran Member
Article from The Jewish Telegraph...

Community split over eruv plans

JEWS in Hale and Altrincham are split over the planned eruv in Hale.

The Jewish Telegraph last week revealed how plans had been revived to create the eruv — which permit activities normally forbidden in public on Shabbat.
But Mike Samuels, who lives in Altrincham, said: “The Jewish people I know do not want it.
“All the Jewish people in this area live in harmony with their neighbours.
“It is not like in north Manchester, where the other eruvim are, where most Jewish people’s neighbours are Jewish.
“The area the proposed eruv encompasses here is a multicultural one. It is a bad idea.”
A letter sent to local residents by the Hale Eruv Project Trust, formed 16 years ago, stated that it was now in a position to move forward.
And an application to Trafford Council would be submitted “imminently”.
The proposed route would run “from the junction of Oakfield Road and Moss Lane in Altrincham; eastwards towards the junction of Canterbury Road and Clay Lane in Timperley; then southwards to Hale Street, Hale Barns; then westwards to Bankhall Lane in Hale and northwards to Oakfield Road and Moss Lane”.
The Hale eruv, the letter stated, would seek to use existing local features including roads, fences and walls, but “where there is no obvious natural route, the eruv will be linked by a thin gauge wire similar to fishing line, supported by a series of pairs of slim poles”.
The letter follows an angry public meeting which took place in November, 2014.
The trust’s Rabbi Joel Portnoy, who is also minister of Hale Synagogue, had pledged after the meeting to “take the eruv plans “back to the drawing board”.
But Mr Samuels claimed there had been no further consultations since November, 2014.
He explained: “Apparently there will be 95 galvanised, steel poles.
“I have been on YouTube and seen the size of the poles for the eruv in Prestwich, north Manchester.
“Nobody around here wants a pole like that outside their house.”
Mr Samuels, a member of South Manchester Synagogue, Bowdon, said that fellow members of his congregation told him on Shabbat that any plans for an eruv must be stopped.
“We have an interfaith group in Altrincham which is one of the most successful in the country,” he continued. “We just do not want to have a faribel (grievance) with our non-Jewish neighbours.”
However, property developer Darryl Lee, who has lived in Hale for more than 40 years, said he has was fully supportive of the eruv.
Mr Lee, a member of Hale Synagogue, said: “Forty years ago, there were few Jews or ethnic minorities in the area.
“That has now changed beyond all recognition.
“Part of the problem is that people’s fears are based on misconceptions about ‘ghettoisation’.
“They may also be worried about more charedim moving into the area.
“There is a fine line between publicly debating the benefits of an eruv and giving capital to our opponents and antisemites.
“If people are going to oppose it, they should appeal on a planning basis and nothing else.”
Mr Lee said the area the proposed eruv would cover — 12 miles — is “quite insignificant”.
He continued: “As Jews, we should be proud of our Judaism and proud that we have people who are Orthodox and who want this eruv to go ahead.”
Former councillor Neil Taylor, who opposes the eruv, said that poles appearing outside someone’s property is an “invasion”.
“I would cast them as a religious symbol, because that’s what they are” he said.
“An eruv would be divisive in the area. We are a multicultural area, with all faiths represented.
“I believe that we should be bringing down walls and fences — not building them.
“The word ‘enclave’ keeps being used and that is exactly what these poles will form — a Jewish enclave.”
Mr Taylor denied that antisemitism might prompt some people’s opposition to the eruv.
He said: “I have very close Jewish friends. It could not be further from the truth that this is about antisemitism.
“If Muslims, Hindus or atheists wanted to put up poles and wires, I would be of the same opinion.
“The eruv is absolutely not needed.”
Rabbi Portnoy was unavailable for comment when contacted by the JT.

http://www.jewishtelegraph.com/

roger1440

I do stuff
The only concern people have is that it, by making the community more convenient for religious Jews, will encourage religious Jews to move in.
There is an over looked upside for non Jews. Stores and the library is open on Sundays.

roger1440

I do stuff
Do you understand supply and demand? If the area is predominantly Jewish the demand for non-kosher foods declines and the shops cannot make a living and close. This has happened in Prestwich.
If I was a barber in an all white neighborhood and all the whites moved out and were replaced by blacks guess what I would do? I would learn how to cut black people’s hair. Sure beats looking for another job.