• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An easy homemade salsa recipe

HakkaMex

I don't get salsa enough to consider making it all the time at home to save money but I thought it's worth a shot to see how it turns out. Pretty simple, only thing I'd change is to use less veggies so there's more space between them on the pan so that they can roast properly (I use less actual tomatoes but add in a bit of strained tomatoes or diced tomatoes when blending), and adding a bit of cumin to it before blending as well as sprinkling with chilli powder before roasting.

Roasting Your Own - For Big Savings - Mr. Tako Escapes

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I don't get salsa enough to consider making it all the time at home to save money but I thought it's worth a shot to see how it turns out. Pretty simple, only thing I'd change is to use less veggies so there's more space between them on the pan so that they can roast properly (I use less actual tomatoes but add in a bit of strained tomatoes or diced tomatoes when blending), and adding a bit of cumin to it before blending as well as sprinkling with chilli powder before roasting.

Roasting Your Own - For Big Savings - Mr. Tako Escapes

The ultimate cheat salsa:

1 can (or however many) of diced tomatoes WITH cilantro and chilies (see Mexican food aisle)

1/4 of a chopped onion

Add your favorite hot sauce to taste, if you like it hotter...

And, done...

This will cost about 1/3 of what they usually charge for all of these things being in the same jar together.

Usually, cumin is not added to salsa, but you can add anything you want. Around here those cans are about 50 cents, and you can have more salsa than you can eat for about two-three bucks.

The canned queso is also half the price of nacho cheese dips in the chip aisle, so again, you can save money. :D

HakkaMex

I add it to give it some spiciness along with cayenne powder. I like your cheat salsa as someone who prefers short-cuts with cooking but I wanted to give roasting the veggies a try as that adds some taste.

I'm never going near Habenero peppers though. I've had my hands burn for hours multiple times after cutting scotch bonnet peppers from the carribean or Mexican grocery store peppers and it took forever to get it out.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Capsicum is an irritant, not really a flavoring agent. I prefer to go easy on the really hot peppers.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Pretty simple, only thing I'd change is to use less veggies so there's more space between them on the pan so that they can roast properly
My wife is from Italy, and she makes some of our pasta dishes using the roasting of veggies and then adding them to hot pasta with some olive oil, garlic, fresh basil, and grated cheese on top. She'll use different veggies depending on what we're in the mood for plus what we got in the fridge.