• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Atheist's answer to "Six Reasons to Believe in God"

Pah

Uber all member
From Austin Cline,

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/125591.htm?nl=1

November 15, 2004

Six Reasons to Believe in God
There are a lot of works of Christian apologetics available - some of it decent, some of it awful. Unfortunately, a significant amount of apologetics falls firmly in the "awful" camp, apparently written by people who really don't understand philosophy, logic, or science. Even worse, few Christians seem to be able to distinguish between the two types.

Marilyn Adamson writes:

When it comes to the possibility of God's existence, the Bible says that there are people who have seen sufficient evidence, but they have suppressed the truth about God. On the other hand, for those who want to know God if He is there, He says, "You will seek me and find me; when you seek me with all your heart, I will be found by you." Before you look at the facts surrounding God's existence, ask yourself, If God does exist, would I want to know Him?

Notice that Adamson assumes two things: the credibility of the Bible and the gender of God ("Him"). Neither assumption is valid in a discussion about whether any gods exist in the first place. If a person doesn't accept the premise that some sort of god exists, it isn't reasonable to cite the Bible as an authority on the matter and it isn't reasonable to ascribe qualities to this alleged god.

1. Does God exist? Throughout history, in all cultures of the world, people have been convinced there is a God. Billions of people, who represent diverse sociological, intellectual, emotional, educational makeups...believe that there is a Creator, a God to be worshipped. Now, the fact that so many people believe something certainly doesn't make it true. But when so many people through the ages are so personally convinced that God exists, can one say with absolute confidence that they are all mistaken?

First, Adamson is probably wrong in the assertion that all cultures "have been convinced there is a God," and for two reasons. The first reason is the existence of certain Pygmy tribes in Africa with no identifiable gods or spirits in their belief systems. The second is the fact that Adamson says "a God," which implies a particular deity with particular attributes. In this case, we can safely say that Adamson is probably referring to the traditional God of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. It is absolutely untrue that all or even most cultures have believed in anything like this god — religious and theistic beliefs have been far more varied than this.

The second thing to keep in mind that a belief is not made more likely true simply because it is common. This is a fallacy that Adamson is using alongside the fallacious appeal to tradition. Adamson employs quite a few fallacies throughout her arguments and it is important to keep in mind that she couldn't even get through the first argument without stumbling over two of them. The short response: the fact that a belief is common or traditional has no relevancy when considering whether or not the belief is reasonable. Anyone who suggests otherwise either doesn't know what they are talking about or does, but can't be entirely trusted.

2. Does God exist? The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.

I'd addressed teleological and design arguments at some length elsewhere and I won't repeat everything here. All that is important to say in response to this is that Adamson not only doesn't offer anything new or interesting but she does, in fact, offer a form of this argument with examples that have been rebutted in many, many places. If she isn't aware of all this, she hasn't done her homework. If she is aware but chose to offer such a superficial argument anyway, then she doesn't have much respect for her readers.

3. Does God exist? Mere "chance" is not an adequate explanation of creation.

What are Adamson's standards for "adequate"? She doesn't deign to inform us, so it is impossible to determine whether her conclusion is valid or not. As it stands, all we have is an assertion devoid of substance or support. I might as well say "Does God exist? Marilyn Adamson's god is not an adequate explanation of the universe" and be done with it.

Notice also that she manages to slip in the word "creation" instead of "universe" — if this is a "creation" then there must be a "creator," but whether a creator exists or not is the point of her argument. Once again we catch her fallaciously Begging the Question.

4. Does God exist? Humankind's inherent sense of right and wrong cannot be biologically explained.

Here we have the Argument from Morals and Values, also addressed at length elsewhere. I won't repeat what I have already written but I will point out that it simply isn't enough for someone like Adamson to assert that our sense of right and wrong cannot have a biological explanation. She may not be able to figure out one that satisfies her, but that's a long way from insisting that a biological explanation is impossible. There is a great deal of literature out there on the evolutionary development of things like ethics and altruism. If Adamson really cared about the subject, she'd read up on it.

5. Does God exist? God not only has revealed Himself in what can be observed in nature, and in human life, but He has even more specifically shown Himself in the Bible.

Here we find the Argument from Scriptures: My religious scriptures are True, therefore my God exists. The fact that just about every religion can make the same argument with the same validity (which is very little) doesn't bother people like Adamson. Simply asserting that the Bible is true and consistent just isn't good enough. It's a rhetorical device used by weak apologists who count on an audience that doesn't ask too many difficult questions.

6. Does God exist? Unlike any other revelation of God, Jesus Christ is the clearest, most specific picture of God.

Unless we assume not merely that some god exists, but in fact that a very specific God exists, how on earth will we be able to determine that a particular set of writings qualifies not only as a divine "revelation," but is in fact the "clearest, most specific picture of God"? Answer: we can't. Absent a specific conception of God (not "a god," but God), there is nothing to compare the descriptions in the Bible to such that we could conclude that those descriptions are or are not clear.

Thus, Adamson's final "reason to believe that God exists" assumes the truth of exactly what she is trying to demonstrate. Begging the Question appears to be Adamson's favorite fallacy because she uses it so often. I have to wonder if she has the slightest idea how a logical argument is supposed to be formulated. Is she the least bit familiar with logical fallacies? Does she have any idea what some common errors in reasoning are?

I sincerely doubt that. Marilyn Adamson doesn't offer any reasons to believe in her god, but she does offer reasons to doubt the validity of any religion that would produce such atrocious apologetics. She cites Josh McDowell more than once and since McDowell is probably the leader of Bad Apologetics, it's not surprising that something derivative of his work would be equally poor in quality.

Ronald

Pah, there is a big difference between you and me, as atheist! I felt no need to talk about religion.
I did however talk about religion when a minister or layman would visit my home.
I espoused many of the things you speak now, altho you are way lot smarter than I am, I was sufficient, I had no need for a supreme being.
Pah, I hope you never have my road to travel, but if you do and you walk on the same hot coals I did and your feet don't burn, then you are very correct, You don't need a God!
I needed help!

Pah

Uber all member
Ronald said:
Pah, there is a big difference between you and me, as atheist! I felt no need to talk about religion.
I did however talk about religion when a minister or layman would visit my home.
I espoused many of the things you speak now, altho you are way lot smarter than I am, I was sufficient, I had no need for a supreme being.
Pah, I hope you never have my road to travel, but if you do and you walk on the same hot coals I did and your feet don't burn, then you are very correct, You don't need a God!
I needed help!

Please don't misunderstand me. It's a difficult thing to talk about religion from my point of view and try to keep personalities out of it. I do understand that what you believe, even as or if it changes, is your core - it defines you to yourself.

My greatest argument, I hope, is for the rights of individuals but sometimes that means challanging some elemental religious principles. My principles are for the raising of the minority to an equality with the majority and not a crusade for atheism. I don't argue for abortion, I agrue for a woman's right. I don't argue against Creationism except as it impacts an intrussion into our schools and brings down a standard of learning.

I am not smarter - I have different skills and a different sphere of knowledge from you and I hate to hear anyone consdier themselves not as "smart" as I.

We all walk different paths and have differeing needs. Just be thankful some of our needs are met.

Now, lets get back to arguing our points (is strong discussion a better wording?)

Bob

tumble_weed

Ha, nice Pah...although that wasn't a very good article...He should have found a better article to pick apart, there are many far better "reasons" that God "exists" and also, he even points out that her article isn't written well and that her arguments aren't very logical. So maybe it would have been far better if he found a better article to analyse and maybe suggested six reasons why you shouldn't believe in God.

Ronald

Strong discussion! Twice when I did strong discussion I was reprimanded for proselytising, yet atheist proselytise always with immunity!
Atheism a religion?
The Word of God calls it a "Strong Delusion"
Isa 41:29
Behold, they are all a delusion; their works are nothing; their molten images are empty wind.
2Th 2:11 Therefore God sends upon them a strong delusion, to make them believe what is false,

The Living Bible and my father says" But brilliant men like you can justify your every inconsistency!"