• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Atheist Meets God: A Cartoon

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Aside from the fact it only looks one version of the bible and that it applies only the conservative take that bible. No its fine, its is a cartoon after all.
Nevertheless, Skwim's video is spot on the God I grew up with, looking over my shoulder every minute.
I was raised in a conservative Catholic home. The video superbly depicts the irrational image of God I was clearly taught about by my family and school. I was about 14 when I got hold of a Bible I could read for myself. I expected it to answer a bunch of my questions and make God look a little more rational.
But it didn't. God of the Bible really was pretty much as billed by my parents and teachers.
I just couldn't believe in that. I thought that made me an atheist. I just didn't know of any other God images.
Tom

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Nevertheless, Skwim's video is spot on the God I grew up with, looking over my shoulder every minute.
I was raised in a conservative Catholic home. The video superbly depicts the irrational image of God I was clearly taught about by my family and school. I was about 14 when I got hold of a Bible I could read for myself. I expected it to answer a bunch of my questions and make God look a little more rational.
But it didn't. God of the Bible really was pretty much as billed by my parents and teachers.
I just couldn't believe in that. I thought that made me an atheist. I just didn't know of any other God images.
Tom

I actually agree but the title should be an Atheist meets the Christian Conservative God. Its a peeve of mine Atheists dismissing God in total but only willing to define God there own particular way.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I actually agree but the title should be an Atheist meets the Christian Conservative God. Its a peeve of mine Atheists dismissing God in total but only willing to define God there own particular way.
That's likely because so many religious people insist that their image of God is the true image of God. It's rather the defining feature of devout conservatives, at least in the Abrahamic world I have lived in my entire life.
Hindus and most others I have noticed, not so much.

The results of that fact don't give me any reason to think that conservative Christians know anything important about God or ethics.
Tom

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
When individual Christians declare "that's not MY definition of god", I feel like they're playing hide the ball. It feels like a cop-out. For such folk my question is this: "Is there a sect or denomination that accurately describes your view of god? If so, name that denomination." Without that, it's like you've got your own little language that none of the rest of us are privy to.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I actually agree but the title should be an Atheist meets the Christian Conservative God.
Yeah, that you have to blame the video's author, EdwardCurrent, for.

Its a peeve of mine Atheists dismissing God in total but only willing to define God there own particular way.
"Only willing to"? From what I've seen atheists don't much care how god is defined. They'll readily dismiss any definition one wishes to put on the table. In any case, what difference does it make what definition of god they address? When they address god and cite some of his characteristics are you expecting they should to cite all the various defining characteristics of god that the various religions have come up with? I would hope not.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Yeah, that you have to blame the video's author, EdwardCurrent, for.

"Only willing to"? From what I've seen atheists don't much care how god is defined. They'll readily dismiss any definition one wishes to put on the table. In any case, what difference does it make what definition of god they address? When they address god and cite some of his characteristics are you expecting they should to cite all the various defining characteristics of god that the various religions have come up with? I would hope not.

An atheist can address any definition of God they want they just need to be clear about the definition and not just state God. More than once on this site the discussion falls only on the Abrahamic God. If you offer other possibilities you are dismissed or ignored. I researched it for a book, they estimate 102 billion Gods have been believed in by Humans, I doubt any Atheist has studied them all.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There is plenty of evidence, bro. You just choose to ignore it.
Or perhaps I see it with different eyes (and different mind-set) than you.

Over the years, I've been presented with thousands of things believe thought were "real evidence," and all I saw was nature at work. Of course, I often had a lot more knowledge of how nature works than those who say it otherwise.

Over those same years, I've presented believers with thousands of things that mitigate against any belief in God. Do you know what the most frequent response has been over those years: "Gods ways are not our ways." Talk about a free pass without any meaning whatever! :p

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Not always true. I have taken on many "gods" over the years. So tell us about your conception, and see how it fares under rational analysis.

DavidFirth

Or perhaps I see it with different eyes (and different mind-set) than you.

Over the years, I've been presented with thousands of things believe thought were "real evidence," and all I saw was nature at work. Of course, I often had a lot more knowledge of how nature works than those who say it otherwise.

Over those same years, I've presented believers with thousands of things that mitigate against any belief in God. Do you know what the most frequent response has been over those years: "Gods ways are not our ways." Talk about a free pass without any meaning whatever! :p

You cannot present me with any evidence whatsoever that mitigates my belief in God Almighty. :p

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Why are you asking this of Atheists, instead of theists? We don't believe in all Gods. It's the theists who don't believe in most gods, but make an inexplicable exception for one (or so) God.
Tom

If you make a video like the one shown it should be labeled properly. To label Atheist meets God is ignorant and wrong. I would even except Atheist meets a God.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Not always true. I have taken on many "gods" over the years. So tell us about your conception, and see how it fares under rational analysis.

The OP is what I thought of the cartoon, I believe I expressed myself accurately and fairly, is there something I am missing or do you just want to belittle my belief in God.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You cannot present me with any evidence whatsoever that mitigates my belief in God Almighty. :p
From your posts here that's quite evident.

a2b2fe_3a6e2ec71f1e49c8a7bf8268712e6912.jpg_srz_170_159_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If you make a video like the one shown it should be labeled properly. To label Atheist meets God is ignorant and wrong. I would even except Atheist meets a God.
My question was, "Why do you think that it's atheists that need to be clear, when it's religious people who have the specific God claims?".
We atheists are quite consistent. We feel the same way about all Gods. It's theists who keep moving the target around with their "No true Scotsman" fallacy.
Over and over again. Just look at this thread.

I recognized the God image in the video immediately. It's posters like @Kemosloby who cause the confusion by asserting that they know God better than the rest of Christianity and theists in general.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
An atheist can address any definition of God they want they just need to be clear about the definition and not just state God. More than once on this site the discussion falls only on the Abrahamic God.
Considering that it's the most popular god around here this seems quite reasonable.

If you offer other possibilities you are dismissed or ignored.
I wasn't aware of this. Do you think it would make a difference in their regard of god; that they may reconsider their position? That while they easily dismiss the god of Abraham they might go along with the Chinese god of rain, Yinlong?

I researched it for a book, they estimate 102 billion Gods have been believed in by Humans, I doubt any Atheist has studied them all.
I would bet good money this is true.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Nor am I trying to. But I do note one thing, however -- no matter what facts I do present, you do not address it. You ignore it. And certainly that's one easy way to keep believing things, no matter what the evidence. Corrupt lawmen have put lots of innocent people away by doing just that. The Catholic Church convicted Galileo of heresy by ignoring all the evidence that he presented. They Catholic Church admitted -- only after 3 1/2 centuries -- that they were wrong!

At the end of the day, the reasons you believe as you do have very little to do with evidence. But imagine what you would say to a visiting alien, recently arrived in his faster-than-light, souped-up space zipster, who had no religious beliefs at all, because his species is all about science (that's how zhe got here). What do you think you could present to convince zhim?