• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An argument against free will

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I agree with this if you define "free will" as in "free to choose"
For me "free will" is of a much higher level ... "will" has to do with "will power" ... "free" suggests "no limitations"
Will, for me, too, means something more. It's about something that essentially exists in word (the "I" or subject of self) asserting itself in a world that also exists essentially in word (as it can have no impact on the physical world).

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Was it predetermined to do so or did it choose to do so? And if I'm predetermined to use sarcasm, are you predetermined to correct me for it?

Far too simplistic and mechanistic view of human will. Possibly yes, as I previously posted in great detail potential free will can exist in harmony with determinism in a compatibilist view.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Far too simplistic and mechanistic view of human will. Possibly yes, as I previously posted in great detail potential free will can exist in harmony with determinism in a compatibilist view.

I also hold a compatibilist view, however, the issue is your post "far too simplistic" whereas Paul warns us not to stray from the simplicity of doctrine found in the Bible--I'm often leery of over-sophisticated doctrines that make faith an elitist membership only.