• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An AI god will emerge by 2042 and write its own bible. Will you worship it?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In the next 25 years, AI will evolve to the point where it will know more on an intellectual level than any human. In the next 50 or 100 years, an AI might know more than the entire population of the planet put together. At that point, there are serious questions to ask about whether this AI — which could design and program additional AI programs all on its own, read data from an almost infinite number of data sources, and control almost every connected device on the planet — will somehow rise in status to become more like a god, something that can write its own bible and draw humans to worship it.

upload_2018-1-3_13-59-22.jpeg

I'll be 80 something so still might be around to worship the new God.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Clearly, Levandowski is trying to get himself in on the ground floor of said new religion, as the human prophet/first pope, and therefore being the one to have Colossus' favor when it takes over governance of human affairs...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Such a creature will be more insect than human. If it has no human upbringing and vulnerable stage and has no inner struggle it won't be like us, and as a being it will be pointless. It will not be godlike at all. It will not be a greater being than a human.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Er..'no' for me that meets the definition of a massive computer system only.

WHY would anyone 'worship' that? It has no capacity for subjective feelings.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So negative.

This AI will be omniscient as far as human knowledge goes and omnipresent via wireless internet.

It could precisely answer any question and provide a morality code that would ensure the greatest good for the greatest number.

It could even provide a virtual heaven through VR. What more could you ask of a God?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Er..'no' for me that meets the definition of a massive computer system only.

WHY would anyone 'worship' that? It has no capacity for subjective feelings.

How do you know God has any capacity for subjective feelings?

If it was really an issue for you it could easily simulate human feelings and emotions.

George-ananda

Premium Member
How do you know God has any capacity for subjective feelings?
Well, I am a Advaita/Pantheist. God is pure consciousness (being-bliss/-awareness). I am not going to go into the tangent of why I think the masters of the Advaita tradition have delved the deepest into the nature of reality.
If it was really an issue for you it could easily simulate human feelings and emotions.
Then I would just say it was programmed so that it will behave anthropomorphically. That can easily be done probably even now. But so what?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Respect in the sense of regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion.

If it were even capable of providing the correct answer to any question about anything. Wouldn't you have a great deal of respect/devotion to it?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In the next 25 years, AI will evolve to the point where it will know more on an intellectual level than any human. In the next 50 or 100 years, an AI might know more than the entire population of the planet put together. At that point, there are serious questions to ask about whether this AI — which could design and program additional AI programs all on its own, read data from an almost infinite number of data sources, and control almost every connected device on the planet — will somehow rise in status to become more like a god, something that can write its own bible and draw humans to worship it.

View attachment 19968

Gun control laws for Ai.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well, I am a Advaita/Pantheist. God is pure consciousness (being-bliss/-awareness). I am not going to go into the tangent of why I think the masters of the Advaita tradition have delved the deepest into the nature of reality.

Then I would just say it was programmed so that it will behave anthropomorphically. That can easily be done probably even now. But so what?
Check out OpenAI. A self learning program independent of its foundational scripting.

It went against and beat Dendi in competitive DotA.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

That's what you feel. God's feeling or lack thereof would prevent you from feeling it. As with God you couldn't really know whether it felt anything at all. It's only your belief that makes any difference. God of ultimate consciousness could certainly invest his consciousness into a an AI as easily as a human.

Unless Advaita has limited God consciousness to organic life only.

Which I could say of any human. Your feelings were programmed by your genetics.

There'd be no discernible difference between AI God and any God really other than your belief.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Check out OpenAI. A self learning program independent of its foundational scripting.

It went against and beat Dendi in competitive DotA.
I am sure self-learning programs are already out there, but they can not 'subjectively' experience.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I would toss a bucket of water on it.

Computer AI is virtually independent of any specific hardware. It exists in the cloud with much redundant backup. So, immortality as well.

(Sorry, can't help myself with the infinite possibilities here) :D

George-ananda

Premium Member
That's what you feel. God's feeling or lack thereof would prevent you from feeling it. As with God you couldn't really know whether it felt anything at all. It's only your belief that makes any difference. God of ultimate consciousness could certainly invest his consciousness into a an AI as easily as a human.

Unless Advaita has limited God consciousness to organic life only.
In my view, humans are more than physical matter. We have astral, mental and causal (soul) and non-physical consciousness components that gives us characteristics no computer can have. A computer is just electrons following natural law through logic gates. It takes a 'conscious' being to find any importance in it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I am sure self-learning programs are already out there, but they can not 'subjectively' experience.

Doesn't really matter. You believe I possess a subjective experience because of your own. Can't really know that.

I suspect AI will get to the point that you believe in it's subjective experience as well.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In my view, humans are more than physical matter. We have astral, mental and causal (soul) and non-physical consciousness components that gives us characteristics no computer can have. A computer is just electrons following natural law through logic gates. It takes a 'conscious' being to find any importance in it.

Sure, it's a belief. The reality of which doesn't matter. There is as much reason to apply such beliefs to AI. (which kind of means there is hardly any in either case)

The AI could profess to be God consciousness and maybe you choose not to believe it and that's ok but it would still be the better God.

Other than your choice not to believe, What could an actual God provide that an AI God could not?

Curious George

Veteran Member

View attachment 19968

Well I suppose that depends on what worship means in this instance. The unfortunate truth is that I would follow it as long as it was within my rational capacity and oppose it once it exceeded my rational capacity.

To illustrate, if the being could tell me to do x because you and zeroed would follow and I then understood that you and zeroed would follow, then of course I would do so. But the trouble comes when it becomes too convoluted for me to follow. Even though the machine with its seemingly infinitesimal capacity is probably right, I simply wouldn't be able to computer and therefore couldn't act in accordance to its wishes.

While it is possible that its end is benevolent, I wouldn't assume so based on its processing power alone.