• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An afterlife

JJ50

Some people have an idea that if an afterlife of some sort exists they will meet up with people with whom they are fond who died before them. However even if this was the case what if they are completely different characters in an afterlife and you don't even recognise one another?

I have no interest in any afterlife, preferring death to mean one ceases to be. I prefer to remember those of whom I am fond as they were in this life.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
From my experience you'll be more substance than form; i.e., more energy than being. These kindred energies will usually gravitate towards each other. I realize that this is entirely subjective, but anybody got anything better?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Some people have an idea that if an afterlife of some sort exists they will meet up with people with whom they are fond who died before them. However even if this was the case what if they are completely different characters in an afterlife and you don't even recognise one another?

I have no interest in any afterlife, preferring death to mean one ceases to be. I prefer to remember those of whom I am fond as they were in this life.

We preserve all our memories, especially of loved ones, to the extent we possibly can. I think it is only logical that God would not choose to discard everything we have experienced either.

so to answer the question- like a photo album, perhaps we would be what we loved most about each other

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Having this problem is no problem in my experience, just like you get a vibe off the living the dead have a vibe too. You will know who you know, lol.

I have no desire for an afterlife, but no apathy to one if it should occur. Open-mindedness is the most useful trait to have in these situations, imho.

JJ50

The idea of being in an afterlife with the Biblical god character would be my idea of hell!

Thief

Rogue Theologian

there will be billions of possibilities for meeting other ....'spirits'

literally

You might not recognize your familiars
but that might not be too much a problem

think of your memories of them
that might be enough to draw their attention

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
We preserve all our memories, especially of loved ones, to the extent we possibly can. I think it is only logical that God would not choose to discard everything we have experienced either.

This makes the most sense! I mean, why would God resurrect our loved ones, and then we can't recognize them?! Or they can't recognize their parents and siblings and friends? And the generation before that, and the generation before that, and the generation before that, etc.?

The Resurrection will be a marvelous event to behold! - John 5:28-29; 1 Corinthians 2:9

Jumi

I believe most of us disappears when we die, regardless if there is an afterlife, so it's better to live today and try to do some good for yourself and your fellow inhabitants of the earth.

WalterTrull

Godfella
It's fun to speculate. But, now as then "... it doth not appear what we shall be..." I like the "... merciful just and pure..." part though.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In my understanding of the afterlife you do not become a completely different character in the afterlife, but rather a growing continuation of the personality of your earthly life. The astral/metal/causal bodies form what we call the individual in life and after death and they continue after death just disconnected from the physical body.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

How about rebirth.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We don't do anything. Memory is an autonomous process. The brain conserves them, periodically sifts through them, discard what is not useful and retain what is useful. Sure, God does not discard what we have done or experienced, because on the day of judgment, he has to reward or punish us according to them. ;)

socharlie

there are different stages in afterlife, first one still tied to earthly things and it fades away.