• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Act of Ba'al

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
You may have noticed that I've been making some rearrangements with my "religioN:" again, and might have wondered "why would Sum be interested in a fertility deity?"

Well, you see, Baal is very general in use, and the term is not uncommon to find in reference to the lord of the flies (Beelzebub), which may or may not be the Devil in Christianity depending on what you believe.

I wanted to let you know, fertility is totally not the basis of this (I'm not even legal yet, so don't worry I'm not going to create the anti-christ... yet:devil:), but I'm not worshiping Hadad either (I'm not a fan of stormy weather driving a 4x2). I often find myself thinking of "Keeper of Life" when I think of Ba'al, even though it is a really general word for Lord or Owner, and yes I'm going to admit that Bringer of Life is a fertility-deity ripoff, but fertility has nothing to do with the philosophy behind Ba'al. I guess you just have to understand what I mean when I say that I see Ba'al more to do with life than fertility.

That is if anyone was curious....

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Where are you now, spiritually, Sum of Awe? Are you an Atheist yet?

Beelzebub and Loki seem a lot alike. Makes reading Paradise Lost even better, Beelzebub monologue/narrates nearly the entire book.

The Sum of Awe

Where are you now, spiritually, Sum of Awe? Are you an Atheist yet?

Beelzebub and Loki seem a lot alike. Makes reading Paradise Lost even better, Beelzebub monologue/narrates nearly the entire book.

I am far from being an atheist, but I had been an atheist earlier in my life. I can't imagine myself to stop believing in God in the future.

As for where I am, I am on a journey. Not to a particular place, but for the journey itself. Everyone is on a journey, but too many people follow the footprints of others instead of finding their own path.

At the moment, I would say I am taking my time and make sure my conclusions are always up to date with my logic.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I was a devote Baal fan but something you should know is, which Baal are you referring to?
There is a Nabataean Baal, Sumerian, Mesopotamian and Hebrew Baal along with an Italian misconception of Baal.

Baal just means Lord or Master and that is also a apart of the Hebrew names for Elohim.

A Greek equivalent would be Archon, in Arabic it is Rabb and Latin Dominus.

Whiterain

I was a devote Baal fan but something you should know is, which Baal are you referring to?
There is a Nabataean Baal, Sumerian, Mesopotamian and Hebrew Baal along with an Italian misconception of Baal.

Baal just means Lord or Master and that is also a apart of the Hebrew names for Elohim.

Very good Sum of Awe, use logic and ration, it keeps the white coats away and sorry that took so long.

Philotech, that was keyed lovely, might I have your sources for Baal? I was under some previous knowledge of Baal also being worshiped by the Celts. I also came under the idea he was worshipped/ celebrated at Stone Henge as well, although those investigations at Stone Henge are still under way... That's far off from the Arabic region of the world.

I also read the Baal was Yehweh's rival. It wasn't like a bloody rivalry it seemed like comradery, despite all the bloodshed that encored. I can't source it. :(

Then figuring who Baal and Yehweh are in other Kingdoms is another mystery.

It would be nice to close the gap between beliefs, polytheism to monotheism included. The new Pope is great addressing issues in the world but I would like him to focus on fixing religion as well, it doesn't seem like the major issue and it's his principal duty and right. Israel doesn't look like it's going to reform Judaism anytime soon.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Very good Sum of Awe, use logic and ration, it keeps the white coats away.

Philotech, that was keyed lovely, might I have your sources for Baal? I was under some previous knowledge of Baal also being worshiped by the Celts. I also came under the idea he was worshipped/ celebrated at Stone Henge as well, although those investigations at Stone Henge are still under way... That's far off from the Arabic region of the world.

Baal is a Semitic word and concept and no such things exists in Celtic or Anglo Saxon areas. This sounds like a bunch of Christian gibberish actually because many Christians do not know that the word Baal is used to reference their own god.

There are MANY Baal concepts in cultures though and I have known of few cultures that do not have one. Baal by no means has ever been referenced in Europe until Christianity came along and by then paganism was long dead.

I also read the Baal was Yehweh's rival. It wasn't like a bloody rivalry it seemed like comradery.

Nope, not a single Baal existed. You had many Baals and some noticeable ones are Enlil and Hadad who are called Baal.

You have the Nabaeatian Be'l
Baal-Shamin
Aglibal
Malak'bel(baal)
Melqart
then Baal-Hamon.

After this you have Yahweh/Elohim who are also called Baal.

The Sum of Awe

Hadad Ba'al, which is more commonly referred to with simply "Ba'al" than others, for priests weren't allowed to say his name as it is sacred.

The Sum of Awe

Baal is a Semitic word and concept and no such things exists in Celtic or Anglo Saxon areas. This sounds like a bunch of Christian gibberish actually because many Christians do not know that the word Baal is used to reference their own god.

There are MANY Baal concepts in cultures though and I have known of few cultures that do not have one. Baal by no means has ever been referenced in Europe until Christianity came along and by then paganism was long dead.

Nope, not a single Baal existed. You had many Baals and some noticeable ones are Enlil and Hadad who are called Baal.

You have the Nabaeatian Be'l
Baal-Shamin
Aglibal
Malak'bel(baal)
Melqart
then Baal-Hamon.

After this you have Yahweh/Elohim who are also called Baal.

Yahweh is not El, contrary to popular belief. Yahweh was a Canaanite god of war.

In response to this, Yahweh shows his opinion of Ba'al in the Bible, despise. They do not get along. He is often referred to as Beelzebub (lord of the flies)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Yahweh is not El, contrary to popular belief. Yahweh was a Canaanite god of war.

In response to this, Yahweh shows his opinion of Ba'al in the Bible, despise. They do not get along. He is often referred to as Beelzebub (lord of the flies)

Um, you do know that El literally means god right? Like Ilah.
There are many Els and many Ilaha and just as many Baals. Seriously dude know your mythology. Beelzebub is also just translated to Lord of Flies which does not help anything.

Again, if you understood mythology and especially Semitic mythology a bit more you would realize your statements are uber vague. I am personally trying to decipher what you are saying because you make it seem as if Baal and El are well conceived words yet historically they are not.

I am just thinking about the many gods named Baal off the top of my head. When you say El that could mean anything above and below.

The Sum of Awe

Um, you do know that El literally means god right? Like Ilah.
There are many Els and many Ilaha and just as many Baals. Seriously dude know your mythology. Beelzebub is also just translated to Lord of Flies which does not help anything.

Again, if you understood mythology and especially Semitic mythology a bit more you would realize your statements are uber vague. I am personally trying to decipher what you are saying because you make it seem as if Baal and El are well conceived words yet historically they are not.

I am just thinking about the many gods named Baal off the top of my head. When you say El that could mean anything above and below.

They were labels, but these labels often were applied to individual being...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_(deity)

I have studied in extent about the Canaanites and their myths, they held far interesting beliefs. Though it's a whole other story, I have and still do connect the pantheon of the Canaanite gods in the same timeline as the Abrahamic religions, and it fits really well together like a puzzle piece.

Whiterain

Let's agree to disagree Yehweh wasn't Yehweh's real name and he was indeed a God of War, or Commander of Armies and what he desired was military society.

Baal seems to be an individual deity to numerous people but Philotech is correct in referencing Baal to a series of titles, in a euphemism sense, which was common throughout various cultures. I do, however, think this originated from one individual deity.

In Europe clans were descended from the Gods like the Mac Lirs (McLears) Odinsons, Thorssons, is that the same? The Israeli tribes may have went through the same annihilation the European clans did being kin to deities.

That's an entirely different subject, just throwing it out there thinking about what Philotech mentioned.

We can also agree on that Judaism is not in his image and Yehweh would eradicate Israel. Cheers

Moving back to Sum of Awe, How did you picture Beelzebub?
xXXSBRPl.jpg

??? ??? ???
sBTgnBb.png

Seriously, reading Paradise Lost was a treat.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Let's agree to disagree Yehweh wasn't Yehweh's real name and he was indeed a God of War, or Commander of Armies and what he desired was military society.

Baal seems to be an individual deity to numerous people but Philotech is correct in referencing Baal to a series of titles, in a euphemism sense, which was common throughout various cultures. I do, however, think this originated from one individual deity.

In Europe clans were descended from the Gods like the Mac Lirs (McLears) Odinsons, Thorssons, is that the same? The Israeli tribes may have went through the same annihilation the European clans did being kin to deities.

That's an entirely different subject, just throwing it out there thinking about what Philotech mentioned.

We can also agree on that Judaism is not in his image and Yehweh would eradicate Israel. Cheers

Moving back to Sum of Awe, How did you picture Beelzebub?
xXXSBRPl.jpg

??? ??? ???
sBTgnBb.png

Seriously, reading Paradise Lost was a treat.

I view Beelzebub as a mistake. A mockery of a name, and his character assigned to him by monotheists is far off. His true character got buried in the dust of the stubbornly selfish Yahweh and possibly to never be found again.

The Old Testament was revised in many places by Yahweh's enemies to place certain evil attributes onto him in order to confuse. The only reason why the original Creator would want war would be to ultimately create peace. Yahweh's enemy is the one who wants a military society, what some today call the "new world order".

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The Egyptian (Setian) Pharaoh Ramses II identified Ba'al with his patron god Set, and had a temple erected to Ba'al in the capital city of Tanis.

Last edited: