• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amerika: Relinquish Your Freedom for Security of the State

Would you give up your right to privacy for security?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • I'm an Exabishanist and look foward to it.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Upon reading a recent poll an alarming 52% of Americans said they would trade in there freedom to privacy for security but, would you? Would you be willing to give up your right to privacy for the sake of security after being warned by one of America's forefathers not too do so
Benjamin Franklin
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either
Not only that but be aware that the citizens of Fascist Germany under the Nazi party and the USSR also made/forced into the choice of giving up there freedom to privacy for the sake of "security" and we all know how well that worked out for them don't we?

Random

Upon reading a recent poll an alarming 52% of Americans said they would trade in there freedom to privacy for security but, would you? Would you be willing to give up your right to privacy for the sake of security after being warned by one of America's forefathers not too do so Not only that but be aware that the citizens of Fascist Germany under the Nazi party and the USSR also made/forced into the choice of giving up there freedom to privacy for the sake of "security" and we all know how well that worked out for them don't we?

Quite right. Amerikaans (note the Aryan inflection...) are being duped. Time to open eyes wide, and stare the horror of the world's underbelly straight in the face, unflinching.

Trading what little illusory "freedom" you think you possess for the nightmarish bondage of pandemic State "security" is the first and greatest po-litical trick the Patriarchs ever learnt. Amerikaans, and by extension the World as part of their Empire, are proving today the old deceits are the finest truths.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
As an American, I don't like trading privacy for security with the government. I can do that myself...

But both are illusory. I would rather feel free and secure in my own devices.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I suppose freedom to privacy is currently a joke but I'd like to at least have the shreds that are left then to throw it all out the widow.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Repression always starts with warnings of imminent peril and a call to restrict civil rights and cede extraordinary power to the government.

If we're going to resist the enemy by becoming indistinguishable from him we might as well save all the mess and just open the doors to him!

Random

Repression always starts with warnings of imminent peril and a call to restrict civil rights and cede extraordinary power to the government. If we're going to resist the enemy by becoming indistinguishable from him we might as well save all the mess and just open the doors to him!

Exactly so. Problem-Reaction-Solution.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
people never have had the right to privacy in a public place.
Privacy is a large concept as is freedom... but they are not synonymous.
we have always shared some of our privacy with other people and businesses.
we now share some to establish our safety and security.
I do not see this as a problem.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
people never have had the right to privacy in a public place.
Privacy is a large concept as is freedom... but they are not synonymous.
we have always shared some of our privacy with other people and businesses.
we now share some to establish our safety and security.
I do not see this as a problem.
Unless you live in the middle of no where and you're nearest neighbor is 6 miles away obviously you don't have privacy in public this an issue of privacy on your phone calls, privacy when writing a letter or e-mail and, privacy in your own home, just because the UK has the beginnings of the government in 1984 with outside cameras constantly surveying everyone doesn't mean I want to be subjected any further than I already am. Also, you do realize that at least here in America public surveillance has failed miserably especially the face recognition technology in that no real crimes were ever prevented or brought to justice from the systems and in 2 instances led to the false arrest of someone because the face recognition technology misidentified the people. I am aware that I am on camera a good amount of the time but few of these are constantly monitored by people and most of them aren't operated by the government so I'm still a bit more comfortable and don't feel completely like I'm in a fish bowl. However the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 also known simply as the PATRIOT Act violated the First, Fourth and, Fifth Amendments of the US Constitution and was brought to the attention of the Federal Court and parts of the Act have already been struck down.
wikipedia.org said:
A number of sections were struck by the courts. Section 805 of the Patriot Act allowed the U.S. government to prohibit citizens from providing material support for specially designated terrorist organizations, including "expert advise and assistance." Two organizations so designated were the Kurdistan Workers Party (in Kurdish it is the Partiya Karkerên Kurdistan, or PDK) and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (also known as either the Tamil Tigers, the Ellalan Force or the LTTE). However, both these groups engaged in peaceful and non-violent activities. The Humanitarian Law Project supported both groups, and brought a civil action against the government complaining that the law was unconstitutional. The Federal court agreed and in a decision brought in December 2004 struck down section 805(a)(2)(B) because, in the courts view, it violated the First and Fifth Amendments to the United States Constitution as it was so vague that it "could be construed to include unequivocally pure speech and advocacy protected by the First Amendment." In the decision, the judge determined that this vagueness would cause a person of average intelligence to guess whether they were breaking the law, and thus potentially cause a person to be charged for an offense that they had no way of knowing was illegal.
USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now this example is sacrifice of free speech for the sake of security but there are plenty of unConstituntional actions against the people
wikipedia.org said:
For a time, the Patriot Act allowed for agents to undertake "sneak and peek" searches.[163] Critics such as EPIC and the ACLU strongly criticized the law for violating the Fourth Amendment,[320] with the ACLU going so far as to release an advertisement condemning it and calling for it to be repealed
This Act was outside the vote of the people and was voted on by Congress most of whom NEVER read the Act and passed it anyway, this Act has stomped all over the rights of Americans and as you can see the sacrifice of freedom lead to abuse by the government. So if you wish to sell your rights for a "security blanket" then go right ahead but all I have to say is I'm sorry for the people of the UK and US when others are so quick to relinquish what so many before fought hard for.

UnityNow101

Absolutely not! Especially for the sense of security, which is what we are getting right now. There is no way of telling whether or not we are safer now than before, although I would lean more towards the feeling that we are less safe. Our freedoms as Americans are something that we must defend always, for it is all that we have.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Privacy is a pretty far encompassing term...

Given that, I wouldn't give up any of the Constituionally enumerated rights we have... other than that... who knows...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I don't know about in the USA but surveillance cameras have been used as evidence in literally thousands of cases and the evidence is upheld in law. I do not think there are any cases where it has been the only evidence. Unlike the states we do not rely on recognition software.

There has been very little totally new law relating to terrorists... it has been mostly extending existing law to cover terrorists.

gnomon

It's amazing how often Americans believe their rights are violated when they are not and fail to see that rights they think they have are already gone.

I say it's time to fight to regain our lost rights.