• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Americans to religious organizations: Stay out of politics"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No problem. You agree that the Church can form PAC's as the NAACP has in the past. You agree that the Church can change to 501c4 and actively support a particular candidate.

In other words you agree that the Church can have a political voice with Political Action Committee's. Just like the NAACP/SPLC.

I have no problem with that. Do you?

Good-Ole-Rebel
I agree with that. It is legal for churches to participate in politics. They just have to follow the rules The claim that their First Amendment rights are being violated is false.

And some churches do want to violate those rules and get away with it. That I do not agree with.

So if a church was anti-abortion they could fund a PAC that lobbied for that. Care must be taken in endorsing those running for office. That does not appear to be allowed. Unless they went 501c4. Then it appears they could even do that.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I agree with that. It is legal for churches to participate in politics. They just have to follow the rules The claim that their First Amendment rights are being violated is false.

And some churches do want to violate those rules and get away with it. That I do not agree with.

So if a church was anti-abortion they could fund a PAC that lobbied for that. Care must be taken in endorsing those running for office. That does not appear to be allowed. Unless they went 501c4. Then it appears they could even do that.

Sounds good. The Church can have a political voice. I agree.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sounds good. The Church can have a political voice. I agree.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Of course going back to the OP a strong majority of Americans think that churches should stay out of politics. And by the way, it is better to say "churches", unless you are Catholic. The Church typically refers to the worlds largest Christian organization, the Catholic Church. It is improper to refer to all Christians that way since there is no one single Christian church, nor is it the only religion that calls themselves a "church". Ramen.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Of course going back to the OP a strong majority of Americans think that churches should stay out of politics. And by the way, it is better to say "churches", unless you are Catholic. The Church typically refers to the worlds largest Christian organization, the Catholic Church. It is improper to refer to all Christians that way since there is no one single Christian church, nor is it the only religion that calls themselves a "church". Ramen.

Well, like I said, I agree with you. The Church can have a political voice in America.

Good-Ole-Rebel

ZooGirl02

Personally, I see nothing wrong with religious organizations getting involved in politics. The Catholic Church does tell people that they shouldn't vote for candidates who support abortion and such so I suppose the Catholic Church is involved in politics to a certain extent.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Personally, I see nothing wrong with religious organizations getting involved in politics. The Catholic Church does tell people that they shouldn't vote for candidates who support abortion and such so I suppose the Catholic Church is involved in politics to a certain extent.

Are you sure? If they did that they would lose their 501c3 status. I do not think that they would want to lose that.

Churches can tell you who to vote for, but there are consequences to those actions. Legal consequences.