• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americans have high level of trust in Science

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
study shows that Most Americans trust science and scientists:

Americans maintain high levels of trust in science

First few paragraphs:

A new report analyzing decades of public opinion surveys reveals that the public's trust in scientists has remained stable and high over decades.

By various measures, Americans reported that they trusted scientists more than they trusted many other institutions and professions, including journalists, judges and Congress. That trust can affect how people interpret scientific information related to human health or government policies.

In the 2018 General Social Survey (GSS), about 40 percent of respondents reported a great deal of confidence in the leaders of scientific institutions, a number that has changed little since surveying began in 1973. A majority expressed either a "great deal" or "some" confidence in the scientific community throughout the survey period.

"We can say without a doubt that the vast majority of Americans have confidence in the scientific community," says Dominque Brossard, a University of Wisconsin-Madison professor of life sciences communication and the senior author of the report. "Over and over again, scientists are at the top of trustworthy professions."

And yet there is a high degree of distrust as well in society: some religious groups, conspiracy theories, the paranormal, UFOs, and so on...

So, you thoughts and reactions? Are Americans really trusting? or are they not? Is it all the fault of @SalixIncendium ? Or @Sunstone ?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That's reassuring.

I have my theories, however, that in the coming 40 years, what science discovers may be a bit more pseudoscience-y sounding than it is now. I mean, they might not prove or disprove ghosts, but they may make discoveries in parallel dimensions, etc.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
study shows that Most Americans trust science and scientists:

Americans maintain high levels of trust in science

First few paragraphs:

A new report analyzing decades of public opinion surveys reveals that the public's trust in scientists has remained stable and high over decades.

By various measures, Americans reported that they trusted scientists more than they trusted many other institutions and professions, including journalists, judges and Congress. That trust can affect how people interpret scientific information related to human health or government policies.

In the 2018 General Social Survey (GSS), about 40 percent of respondents reported a great deal of confidence in the leaders of scientific institutions, a number that has changed little since surveying began in 1973. A majority expressed either a "great deal" or "some" confidence in the scientific community throughout the survey period.

"We can say without a doubt that the vast majority of Americans have confidence in the scientific community," says Dominque Brossard, a University of Wisconsin-Madison professor of life sciences communication and the senior author of the report. "Over and over again, scientists are at the top of trustworthy professions."

And yet there is a high degree of distrust as well in society: some religious groups, conspiracy theories, the paranormal, UFOs, and so on...

So, you thoughts and reactions? Are Americans really trusting? or are they not? Is it all the fault of @SalixIncendium ? Or @Sunstone ?

Your neglecting the selective trust in engineering and applied science, which this poll suggests, and not the foundation of basic sciences that support evolution, and a cosmology billions of years old. Polls vary, but about 40-50% plus Americans reject or selectively support all of science when it comes to evolution and the natural cosmology of billions of years of our physical existence potentially greater than our universe,

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Your neglecting the selective trust in engineering and applied science, which this poll suggests, and not the foundation of basic sciences that support evolution, and a cosmology billions of years old. Polls vary, but about 40-50% plus Americans reject or selectively support all of science when it comes to evolution and the natural cosmology of billions of years of our physical existence potentially greater than our universe,
as well as the use of inoculations and other public health practices...I think 'selectivity' really is the key...

Heyo

Veteran Member
Another reminder that the US is a land of extremes. They have Ken Ham - and a high level of trust in scientists. They are the most religious among industrialized countries - and have the biggest, best organized and loudest atheist community. They have a federal government that leaves the Paris agreement and doesn't believe in climate change - and state governments that made the US the country that reduced CO2 more than any other in 2018.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I call bull. America is ranked very low in those who accept evolution, being on par with Turkey in numbers is those who deny it. America believes in ghosts and its more religious, and not just religious but Creationists and pseudo scientists. Anti Vaccers are becoming a public health danger. "It's just a theory" is often a reason evolution is dismissed. And you don't have to look far to see examples of how widely the mad scientist and experiments that will damn us all is believed, accepted, and too the point many believe that being too intelligent will drive you mad (I've even heard it claimed too much philosophy will do that to you). America is also known for being anti intellectual, and everyone loves to believe they are an expert (which does have consequences when it comes to things like psychology and psychiatry).

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I call bull. America is ranked very low in those who accept evolution, being on par with Turkey in numbers is those who deny it. America believes in ghosts and its more religious, and not just religious but Creationists and pseudo scientists. Anti Vaccers are becoming a public health danger. "It's just a theory" is often a reason evolution is dismissed. And you don't have to look far to see examples of how widely the mad scientist and experiments that will damn us all is believed, accepted, and too the point many believe that being too intelligent will drive you mad (I've even heard it claimed too much philosophy will do that to you). America is also known for being anti intellectual, and everyone loves to believe they are an expert (which does have consequences when it comes to things like psychology and psychiatry).

I might find it plausible considering despite Trump promising people the moon and having less blunders than he does now, during the campaigns, some people saw through much of it, causing Hilary to win the popular vote.

I just don't see a ton of Democrats not believing in evolution, as well.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I might find it plausible considering despite Trump promising people the moon and having less blunders than he does now, during the campaigns, some people saw through much of it, causing Hilary to win the popular vote.

I just don't see a ton of Democrats not believing in evolution, as well.
Is not really am outside of politics. Democrats are more likely to accept climate change, however, at the same time, they are fewer than registered Republicans, Anti-climate change politicians keep winning, and America doesn't as a whole accept climate change or take it seriously.