• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americans: do you have state holidays?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As I sit here on Family Day, a holiday that's been enacted by my provincial legislature, I got to wondering if Americans have anything similar.

I've heard of plenty of American holidays that are recognized across the country (and I assume were enacted at the federal level), but I've never heard of any holiday that's observed in one state but not in another.

Are there any? Is there any day where Texans or Floridians get the day off work but Oklahomans or Virginians don't?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
As I sit here on Family Day, a holiday that's been enacted by my provincial legislature, I got to wondering if Americans have anything similar.

I've heard of plenty of American holidays that are recognized across the country (and I assume were enacted at the federal level), but I've never heard of any holiday that's observed in one state but not in another.

Are there any? Is there any day where Texans or Floridians get the day off work but Oklahomans or Virginians don't?
There are state holidays, but people usually do not get the day off for them.

Smoke

Done here.
South Carolina state holidays that are not also federal holidays are:

Confederate Memorial Day (10 May)
Day After Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Day After Christmas

We used to have Robert E. Lee's birthday, then for a while you could choose between Robert E. Lee's birthday and Martin Luther King's birthday, and then they just made it MLK Day for everybody.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Texans celebrates 'Juneteenth' in remembrance of General Granger's emancipation of the slaves at the end of the Civil War. Unlike most state holidays it's actually a big enough deal to merit calendar and media recognition. Cookouts, dancing, country-fry, black cowboy displays, etc.

Just_me_Mike

South Carolina state holidays that are not also federal holidays are:

Confederate Memorial Day (10 May)
Day After Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Day After Christmas

We used to have Robert E. Lee's birthday, then for a while you could choose between Robert E. Lee's birthday and Martin Luther King's birthday, and then they just made it MLK Day for everybody.
I was rather shocked the other day May 10th, to find out many businesses were closed in South Carolina from the Confederate Day :areyoucra Including the DMV.

Requia

We have pioneer day in Utah (Anniversary of the Mormons getting to the valley). There's a parade, and a lot of fireworks. Basically it extends the 4th of July season.