• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American truck drivers seem to lean toward Trump 2020

Jonathan Bailey

They fear that Democrats will make tougher DOT/FMCSA regulations making their tough lives even more difficult. I read somewhere that truckers tend to lean hard GOP/conservative. There was a time when the American working class, especially union types, leaned Democrat. Most over-the-road trucking now is not unionized. No Teamsters/Jimmy Hoffa for them.

I have the prospect of become an over-the-road driver in mind, so I feel now I want to vote in the best interest of American truckers.

But hold your horses.....

I just came up with this:

Truckers voted for Trump in droves. Now they say his trade war is 'killing' their ability to make a living.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
They fear that Democrats will make tougher DOT/FMCSA regulations making their tough lives even more difficult. I read somewhere that truckers tend to lean hard GOP/conservative. There was a time when the American working class, especially union types, leaned Democrat. Most over-the-road trucking now is not unionized. No Teamsters/Jimmy Hoffa for them.

I have the prospect of become an over-the-road driver in mind, so I feel now I want to vote in the best interest of American truckers.

But hold your horses.....

I just came up with this:

Truckers voted for Trump in droves. Now they say his trade war is 'killing' their ability to make a living.
What is sad is that most Americans once saw themselves as members of a collective. As people who needed to stick together for each other's benefit. What has changed is that now most Americans see themselves is being in competition with everyone else. And so they no longer think, or vote, for the good of their collective, but only think and vote for their own selfish interests. And because they think and act alone, they are very easily duped into believing whatever lies serve their own egos, or their own selfish causes. United we stand, and divided we fall, because the individual is weak, and ignorant of much, where the group is strong and has the benefit of many minds.

Jonathan Bailey

What is sad is that most Americans once saw themselves as members of a collective. As people who needed to stick together for each other's benefit. What has changed is that now most Americans see themselves is being in competition with everyone else. And so they no longer think, or vote, for the good of their collective, but only think and vote for their own selfish interests. And because they think and act alone, they are very easily duped into believing whatever lies serve their own egos, or their own selfish causes. United we stand, and divided we fall, because the individual is weak, and ignorant of much, where the group is strong and has the benefit of many minds.

There is one driver over at a trucking forum saying this:

Sanders is a commie scumbag!! Warren is a fake indian!! And biden is a corrupt JO!!

[I will vote for] Nobody that's gonna cram more regs on the driver. And certainly nobody that wants to destroy the economy in the name of social or climate justice. I'm gonna hafta go with Trump.

So, what I've been reading regarding truckers and politics online is very contradictory and confusing. The OTR truck drivers in America have no union or lobby that I know of. I feel sorry for them. They seem to be left to their own devices and lost without a friend.

PureX

Veteran Member
Fiction otherwise the US would have never had slavery nor Jim Crow.
Those are examples of collective abuse. Of one collective pitting itself against another. This is how the disunity and division starts. And it ends with everyone on their own, and set against everyone else.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Those are examples of collective abuse. Of one collective pitting itself against another. This is how the disunity and division starts. And it ends with everyone on their own.

You have conceded the point by acknowledging that there are many collectives in the US that do not agree with who belongs and who does not. How people are treated by law as a member of group A compared to a member of group B

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I can see how they are threatened. They have a job that is about to be automated out of existence. Self driving trucks are already safer than human operated vehicles. The problem now is of acceptance and economics. There will be major lawsuits every time a self driving truck is in an accident, whether it is its fault or not. But once the transition occurs the highways will be safer. The same will happen with self driving cars. People will resist having their "rights" taken away. Self driving cars are already far safer. They are not perfect. But if one cared only about human lives they would already be a thing on the highways. Handing over control is difficult, especially for the truckers that will sooner or later be out of a job:

Self-driving trucks likely to hit the roads before passenger cars

PureX

Veteran Member
There is one driver over at a trucking forum saying this:

Sanders is a commie scumbag!! Warren is a fake indian!! And biden is a corrupt JO!!
I am assuming that you can recognize the childishness of such comments. I mean, they sound like the kinds of things a 5th grader would say in the schoolyard about his classmates to make himself look cool and clever. In this guy's emotionally and intellectually stifled mind, I suppose these comments feel clever, and righteous, and maybe even enlightened. While in reality they're just sad, and absurd, coming from a grown man. This is what being alone in the world does to people.
So, what I've been reading regarding truckers and politics online is very contradictory and confusing. The OTR truck drivers in America have no union or lobby that I know of. I feel sorry for them. They seem to be left to their own devices and lost without a friend.
Yes, they and everyone else. Isolated, ignorant, angry, and scared.

Jonathan Bailey

Those are examples of collective abuse. Of one collective pitting itself against another. This is how the disunity and division starts. And it ends with everyone on their own.

Does the party or anybody running in 2020 for TWH affect the American truck driver in anyway? Do the American working class and drivers especially have no real choice?

Jonathan Bailey

I can see how they are threatened. They have a job that is about to be automated out of existence. Self driving trucks are already safer than human operated vehicles. The problem now is of acceptance and economics. There will be major lawsuits every time a self driving truck is in an accident, whether it is its fault or not. But once the transition occurs the highways will be safer. The same will happen with self driving cars. People will resist having their "rights" taken away. Self driving cars are already far safer. They are not perfect. But if one cared only about human lives they would already be a thing on the highways. Handing over control is difficult, especially for the truckers that will sooner or later be out of a job:

Self-driving trucks likely to hit the roads before passenger cars

It will take several decades before autonomous trucks hit American roads in full force. I feel I can still drive my own automobile (or a semi truck when trained as a CDL driver) much safer than any computer or bot. No points on my record in nearly 30 years.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Most Americans were white and saw themselves as part of that collective. Black people weren't.
That's why slavery and Jim Crow.
Tom

Which is not the American collective but a racial collective as it is dependent on race not citizenship.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It will take several decades before autonomous trucks hit American roads in full force. I feel I can still drive my own automobile (or a semi truck when trained as a CDL driver) much safer than any computer or bot. No points on my record in nearly 30 years.
You are almost certainly fooling yourself. If you look at the record of self driving cars they are already far safer than the average driver. You may think that you can drive safer and better, but how would you test that claim?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How many is several?
Several decades ago telephones had dials and TVs had 2-4 channels. Both were considered luxuries. 2 decades ago Facebook didn't exist.
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
Go reread Purex post.
"Most" was an important word.
Tom

Most can be anywhere from 51% to 99%. More so it is a claim with no evidence backing it. Ergo an assertion. My point was that the US has many collectives which happen to agree at times. Citizenship is not a collective in itself. Ergo politics and the divide in politics.

I am taking collective to mean more than a category or legal status.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Does the party or anybody running in 2020 for TWH affect the American truck driver in anyway? Do the American working class and drivers especially have no real choice?
Ironically, we are all in the same boat, ultimately, and if we were willing, could use that circumstance to unify ourselves, and create positive change. All we need to do is stop seeing ourselves as living in an "every-man-for-himself" world in which every other man is to blame for us not getting what we want, or need in life.

The solution is surprisingly simple. All we need to do is vote against every incumbent running for every office, every time, regardless of their party affiliation or their promises, unless and until they ACTIVELY fight to stop the corrupting influence of legalized bribery in politics. But to recognize this simple solution, and to implement it, we have to stop voting for our own selfish agendas, and for "our team" as opposed to "their team", or according to God's will, or for whatever else. We have to vote, en masse, FOR CHANGE. Specifically, for an end to the legalized bribery of our Congress and Senate by corporate sponsored lobbyists. Because until we put a stop to that, we have no real representation on ANY issues by anyone in government.

And we also have to stop trying to deliberately stack our courts with biased judges just because we think they'll be biased in favor of our own personal ideological agenda. It's a guaranteed way of destroying any possibility of getting a reasonable degree of justice from our justice system. Deliberately biased judges are deliberately corrupted judges. And if we want to have any respect for the rule of law, we have to start by respecting the obligation to appoint unbiased jurists and judges.

Last edited: