• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Terrorism

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Terrorism: any act intended to cause death or serious bodily harm to civilians or non-combatants with the purpose of intimidating a population or compelling a government or an international organization to do or abstain from doing any act.
United Nations Security Council

I have seen it stated a few times here by Islamic members that, "terrorism is appropriate to stop terrorism.", and that "America uses terrorism on Muslims."

My question, perhaps asked in ignorance, is in what way has America used terrorism specifically targeting Muslims in the past. And in what way is America using terrorism specifically targeting Muslims currently?

I am not talking about the torture of prisoners. (A deplorable and shameful act of the US Government.) Or the Invasion of foreign countries for questionable purposes. (Iraq comes to mind).:facepalm:
I would specifically like to hear evidence of American terrorism against Muslims.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Two wrongs don't make a right.
When the terrorists cause us to become terrorists ourselves, they've won.

Ba'al

I personally don't believe America uses terrorism on a population specifically because they are Muslims. For example, there are mostly Christians in Cuba but it didn't stop the US from terrorizing them. I watched a documentary once where a bunch of ex CIA agents told their stories. One agent said they stopped a school delivery truck and put cement powder in the kids milk. They did all kinds of horrific things like that to cause civil unrest hoping the population would revolt against Castro. America runs roughshod over any country if it suits its interests no matter what religion the population is. It's just easier to get support from the american population if the countries they are terrorizing are Islamic.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Prior to the invasion of Iraq, US led sanctions caused the death of an estimated 200,000 Iraqi children. When asked about the deaths, then Secretary of State Albright said simply, "We don't care.". If imposing sanctions that kill 200,000 children, and knowing but not caring that 200,000 have died, is not a form of terrorism, then just what is it?

Ba'al

Prior to the invasion of Iraq, US led sanctions caused the death of an estimated 200,000 Iraqi children.

Here are more estimates of casualties from:

• Iraqi Baathist government: 1.5 million.
  • Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark: 1.5 million (includes sanctions, bombs and other weapons, depleted uranium poisoning).
  • Iraqi Cultural Minister Hammadi: 1.7 million (includes sanctions, bombs and other weapons, depleted uranium poisoning)
  • Unicef: 500,000 children (including sanctions, collateral effects of war).

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Caused the deaths how? By not giving Iraq food because their useless government is making skud missiles instead? Why would it be the USA's fault if children died as a result of "lack of AID" when Iraq is rich in oil?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Caused the deaths how? By not giving Iraq food because their useless government is making skud missiles instead? Why would it be the USA's fault if children died as a result of "lack of AID" when Iraq is rich in oil?

The US clearly intended for the civilian deaths caused by its sanctions to pressure Saddam into changing his policies. That's virtually the definition of terrorism.

kai

ragamuffin
With regards sanctions Saddam Hussein could have prevented anyone from suffering simply by meeting his obligations.

There was always a disparity in the areas the UN handled food for Oil etc. and the areas Saddam handled.

whos ultimately responsible The UN ?the US? or Saddam i think the later.

Ba'al said:
I watched a documentary once where a bunch of ex CIA agents told their stories. One agent said they stopped a school delivery truck and put cement powder in the kids milk.
Good GOD! It's unbelievable. Could you cite a source for this?

I did read one memo recorded in the National Archives where the Kennedy administration considered various acts of terrorism against Cuba. For example, they considered blowing up a drone aircraft (with no one on board) and accusing Cuba of terrorism. Or, firing a few mortar rounds INTO the U.S. - controlled Guantanamo bay base, at areas that would avoid U.S. casualties, to simulate an attack and provide justification for attacking the Castro regime. They also considered sinking an empty U.S. boat or sinking boats in Cuban harbors without much regard for civilian casualties.

tumbleweed said:
My question, perhaps asked in ignorance, is in what way has America used terrorism specifically targeting Muslims in the past. And in what way is America using terrorism specifically targeting Muslims currently?
I agree with Ba'al, I don't see much evidence that the U.S. is using terrorism specifically targeting Muslims. You could argue the U.S. has used terrorism but to say it was against Muslims would be a bit like saying 9/11 was a terrorist attack against Christians.

kai

ragamuffin
I agree with Ba'al, I don't see much evidence that the U.S. is using terrorism specifically targeting Muslims. You could argue the U.S. has used terrorism but to say it was against Muslims would be a bit like saying 9/11 was a terrorist attack against Christians.

I agree. The fact is though, due to the fact that there is no unifying Authority in Islam any Islamist can justify his action, by stating that it was against the Ummah which makes his actions self defence( in his eyes) although Muslims will tell you there's a billion Muslims in the world they are not being absolutely honest. Islam is not an entirely unified religion, presenting a single, monolithic face to the world.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Could the bombing of Libya, and the resulting deaths of over 100 civilians, be considered an act of terrorism by the US?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Terrorism: any act intended to cause death or serious bodily harm to civilians or non-combatants with the purpose of intimidating a population or compelling a government or an international organization to do or abstain from doing any act.
United Nations Security Council

The US clearly intended for the civilian deaths caused by its sanctions to pressure Saddam into changing his policies. That's virtually the definition of terrorism.

No, it is not.

Whatever, Jay.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Were the civilians the target of the bombing or were they killed by bombs intended for military targets?
Surgical strikes are not as surgical as one would like to think. Whether caused by an out-of-control F-111 or Libyan anti-aircraft missiles falling back to ground, civilian collateral damage in the Libyan cities would have been expected.
As we were not at war with Libya, but supposedly retaliating for the Disco bombing in Berlin, it seems that the expected civilian collateral damage was accepted as a part of that mission.