• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American is not a nation based on Christian values!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No, America is not a nation based on Christian values. It never was intended to be. I'm at s loss, however, to know what these "Christian values" are anyway.

Rational Agnostic

Eisenhower, Colin Powell, Freddie Prinze Jr, and Will McAvoy if he existed would be real Republicans!

Didn't watch the video. But America isn't supposed to be based on Christian values. Many of the founding fathers were not Christians. You often hear Christian apologists claim that America was set up to be a "Christian" nation, which is nonsense. In fact, Thomas Jefferson believed Christianity was a fable and would ceased to be believed in just like all other religious myths. Many of the other founding fathers held this belief. This is why they placed so much importance on freedom of religion, since many of them were Deists (and bear in mind this is the pre-Darwinian era, and most deists before Darwin would be atheists or agnostics today after learning that the origin of the complexity and diversity of life has natural causes).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No, America is not a nation based on Christian values. It never was intended to be. I'm at s loss, however, to know what these "Christian values" are anyway.

It used to be based on protestant values as a protest against Catholicism in Britain when they and American split, I believe. Protest-tant values started to wain to where women used to wear long dresses, people were killed for lack of belief, and demons possessed the epileptics to christian "fundamentalists" (another word for protestants against the modern era christian? Shrugs) and seizure-diagnosed people like myself upgrade to having the holy spirit in us instead (true story five years ago).

We would probably still be Catholic if we didn't break off.

De ja vu.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

In a nut shell, ' Christian values ' are what Jesus taught in giving his NEW commandment as found at John 13:34-35 to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has. That means to now love neighbor ' more ' than self.
Personal happiness takes a back seat in considering others as superior to one's self as per Philippians 2:3; Romans 12:10.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No, America is not a nation based on Christian values.

America was never a theocracy (God Ruled) but a free-religious marketplace or a religious pick-and-choose cafeteria.
That allows anyone (religious or not) to try to divide and conquer with No way to screen out the terrorist types.
The modern day definition of theocracy is clergy rule or rule by clergy class, but Jesus believed in the theocracy of Daniel 2:44 in which God's kingdom government in the hands of Christ Jesus is the solution to mankind's troubles.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The original settlers in New England were certainly strict religionists in various groups. The southern settlers were interested in commerce. So there are some "protestant ethic" parts to America relating to hard work etc, but these are not strictly Protestant or even Christian.

pearl

America's values were considered to be founded upon the Judeo-Christian values explicit in the Ten Commandments displayed in many courtrooms until the Supreme Court ruled them removed. I believe it is Alabama where there is an election for senator, One of the candidates is Moore who was removed from the court because he refused to take down the Commandments from his court. For the past forty years conservative Evangelicals and Catholics have waited for this day when, through politics, they may once again control what is and is not moral. If we do not get off our *** and vote we have only ourselves to blame. Right now things are not looking good.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I disagree completely. America IS based on Christian belief system. Just name me the State you live in and the State your were born in and I will prove it for you.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In a nut shell, ' Christian values ' are what Jesus taught in giving his NEW commandment as found at John 13:34-35 to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has. That means to now love neighbor ' more ' than self.
Personal happiness takes a back seat in considering others as superior to one's self as per Philippians 2:3; Romans 12:10.

What people don't realize is that those principles are not unique to Christianity, nor did they begin with Christianity. They are far older and can be found in many other ancient cultures. It's just that the US was and is, and probably always will be, a nation made up predominantly of Christians, and the influence of a Christian overculture in the west.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
America's values were considered to be founded upon the Judeo-Christian values explicit in the Ten Commandments displayed in many courtrooms until the Supreme Court ruled them removed.

Considered by whom?

Why is there no mention of God (any God), Jesus, Moses, the Ten Commandments in the US Constitution?

I believe it is Alabama where there is an election for senator, One of the candidates is Moore who was removed from the court because he refused to take down the Commandments from his court.

Roy Moore was the chief justice of the Alabama state supreme court, removed from the bench by the US Supreme Court, and legally rightly so for defying their ruling to remove that monument.

For the past forty years conservative Evangelicals and Catholics have waited for this day when, through politics, they may once again control what is and is not moral. If we do not get off our *** and vote we have only ourselves to blame. Right now things are not looking good.

Not going to happen. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ... "

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree completely. America IS based on Christian belief system. Just name me the State you live in and the State your were born in and I will prove it for you.

New Jersey.

pearl

Not going to happen. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ... "

And you think this offers some kind of safeguard? Obviously you are not old enough to remember when certain sexual acts were forbidden by law, even birth control, not to mention abortion, racially mixed marriages etc. Much depends on the makeup of the Court, and we can see in what direction that is now headed. For forty years there was progress, now we begin to regress. The line of separation of church and state is going to be less defined and our civil rights are at stake.

Kenny

Premium Member
New Jersey.
NEW JERSEY STATE CONSTITUTION 1947
(UPDATED THROUGH AMENDMENTS ADOPTED IN NOVEMBER, 2016)

A Constitution agreed upon by the delegates of the people of New Jersey, in Convention, begun at Rutgers University, the State University of New Jersey, in New Brunswick, on the twelfth day of June, and continued to the tenth day of September, in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and forty-seven.

We, the people of the State of New Jersey, grateful to Almighty God for the civil and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy, and looking to Him for a blessing upon our endeavors to secure and transmit the same unimpaired to succeeding generations, do ordain and establish this Constitution.

New Jersey State Constitution

I would be hard pressed that looking to Almighty God for liberty, looking to Him for a blessing is not Christian in context and in nature since it was "in the year of OUR Lord".

Kenny

Premium Member
Jesus told people to sicken, torture, rape, and kill people to take their land because some governments wanted money, some wanted adventure, and many just wanted to do something with overcrowded prisons?
Could you site your position with what Jesus said? I don't remember that quote.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Luckily, we grew beyond the slavery, genocide, and oppression of those days. As secular morality took root and grew we got better and better.
Still plenty of room for improvement though.
Tom

Kenny

Premium Member
Luckily, we grew beyond the slavery, genocide, and oppression of those days. As secular morality took root and grew we got better and better.
Still plenty of room for improvement though.
Tom
Yes... the biggest room in the house is room for improvement. But it wasn't secular America that pushed it, it was faith that did it. (that isn't to say that secular people didn't embrace it as they added their agreement to it)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Which is generally antithetical to the fundamental values. Nothing in there about personal rights and freedom, representative government, or free market capitalism.

One of the fundamental problems for USA society is a sort of schizophrenia. It's caused by having a dominant religion that is in opposition to the principles the nation was founded on.
Tom