• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idiot: Green Day Singer “Renouncing” Citizenship

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
American Idiot: Green Day Singer “Renouncing” Citizenship (msn.com)

Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong says he’s done being an American Idiot and has plans to renounce his citizenship. The vocalist — who is bent out of shape over the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade — revealed to concertgoers in London that he plans to leave the US for good and will relocate to the UK. His shocking announcement was met with rapturous applause, and he promised: "I'm not kidding."

RELATED: Which Member Of Green Day Has The Highest Net Worth?

That bottom link in the above quote indicates that Armstrong's net worth is $75 million.

Billie Joe Says He's Leaving For Good
Billie Joe came out swinging against the US during his band's set at London Stadium on Friday. The band — who are currently in the midst of their Hella Mega tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer —performed the show just hours after the Supreme Court’s shocking decision, and the punk-rocker didn’t dance around how he felt about it.

The 50-year-old singer wasn’t shy about offering his two cents to the crowd. He shouted “F—K AMERICA” to concertgoers and promised to renounce his citizenship.

“F--k America, I’m f--king renouncing my citizenship. I’m f--king coming here,” he proclaimed to cheers from the audience, added: “Oh, I’m not kidding, you’re going to get a lot of me in the coming days.”

The group has always been politically outspoken. Heck, their biggest record is called American Idiot. Following the Uvalde, Texas mass shooting, the group displayed a graphic reading “F---k Ted Cruz” at a concert in Berlin.

Other artists are also speaking out, although not going so far as to renounce their citizenship.

While other artists aren’t going as far as to renounce their citizenship, many are still speaking out about the controversial ruling.

Olivia Rodrigo took to the stage in Glastonbury, UK over the weekend, where she made a political statement of her own. The good 4 u singer dedicated a duet of Lily Allen’s 2009 hit F--k You to the justices responsible for the repeal — and the crowd loved it.

“I’m devastated and terrified. So many women and so many girls are going to die because of this,” Rodrigo told the crowd. “I wanted to dedicate this next song to the five members of the Supreme Court who have shown us that at the end of the day, they truly don’t give a **** about freedom. This song goes out to the justices: Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Amy Coney Barrett, and Brett Kavanaugh. We hate you!”

Pink also shared a message to fans who supported the repeal of Roe v. Wade: “never f---ing listen to my music again.”

It is a principled stand to make, so I find no fault with those who renounce their citizenship. Not sure if it changes anyone's mind, but it does make a statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeF

Premium Member

That bottom link in the above quote indicates that Armstrong's net worth is $75 million.

Other artists are also speaking out, although not going so far as to renounce their citizenship.

It is a principled stand to make, so I find no fault with those who renounce their citizenship. Not sure if it changes anyone's mind, but it does make a statement.

Some have the luxury of running away. Others either must, or choose, to stay and fight to make the United States better. Fortunately a great number will continue to fight.

Perhaps I should replace the metaphorical 'fight' with the more literal term 'struggle'. I in no way advocate for violence as a means to achieve political goals.

KW

One less Democrat vote. That's good news.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

If I had 75 million(which would give me a choice in the matter), I'd probably do the same.

Not as loudly, but I wouldn't pretend anyone aside from a few friends or family members would care(or even know)...

No hate for the US. Many people love it and find it home. Its just not a good fit for me.

My son's going to be so proud of Billy Joe when he hears this...

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

So? Good riddance to a washed up sellout. But we all know he won't go anywhere. He's just having a tantrum. I advise him to worry more about making a decent Green Day album, which they haven't done in almost 20 years. Also, we should make it a rule that the only man above a certain age that's allowed to wear eyeliner is Robert Smith. :rolleyes:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand the frustration, but I'm quite pragmatic about such things. An American passport grants too much privilege in many parts of the world (including the Arab world) for me to simply renounce it, so I'd definitely keep it and just relocate.

PureX

Veteran Member
Rich folks like BJA will not be affected in the least by this decision. Anyone they know or care about that wants an abortion will very easily be able to get one. It's why so many of them just keep quiet and let this religious meddling in personal affairs continue to go on and on. It's only poor people that won't be able to get an abortion, and whose unwanted child will then suffer the most from that unfortunate circumstance.

So at least Billie Joe Armstrong is using his voice to speak up for those who will actually be hurt by this decision, and not just because it happens to hurt him. It's far more admirable than those who's only thought is, "I don't care because it don't effect me".

KW

Some have the luxury of running away. Others either must, or choose, to stay and fight to make the United States better. Fortunately a great number will continue to fight.

Perhaps I should replace the metaphorical 'fight' with the more literal term 'struggle'. I in no way advocate for violence as a means to achieve political goals.

Maybe you could just stop killing the unborn.

PureX

Veteran Member
When faced with a reactionary assault, the very last thing I wish to renounce is my vote.
Our votes aren't going to mean anything, anyway, soon enough. They didn't stop this from happening. Now that potential judges can just lie to get on the court and then do as they please.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe you could just stop killing the unborn.

Or entering same-sex marriages, using contraceptives, having premarital sex, and...

You know what? People should just stop being non-Christian. I'm sure that will solve all of the United States' problems.